YouTube Red - the Premium YouTube service...

So it looks like Youtube is now fully committed in to doing this "Premium" Youtube thing...

Youtube Red is the name and it'll come at quite a price 9.99 USD per month and for iOS users 12.99 USD because apple takes 30% cut subscription revenue on its platform and Google wants us to pay that too.

Apparently most of the money created will flow to the content creators who join the Youtube Red program but we'll need to see about that; for some reason I can't erase that memory from Steam and the mod pack issue.....

And there is phrase from the arstechnica article that I read and was like "waaaa???"

The subscription service changes things for YouTube creators, and anyone that doesn't agree to the new subscription terms will have their content set to "private" on YouTube. 

Like... what? really? So even is a creator wants to release a vid to Youtube Red and later change it to a "free" video down the line they can't do this?

Or am I missing something and being a dumb dumb? 

Just thought that was a bit weird since the creators should have full control on their content but looks like Youtube is gonna take a huge chunk of the content rights on this new platform...

So what are your thoughts; think this new service will work?

Original article link : “YouTube Red” offers premium YouTube for $9.99 a month, $12.99 for iOS users http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/youtube-red-offers-premium-youtube-for-9-99-a-month-12-99-for-ios-users/

Re-toast... kinda

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Repost.

Read the forum section before you post.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/471124-youtube-red/

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

the terms changing just means that you need to accept the terms and conditions again, just like you did when you joined youtube

if you dont accept the term and conditions that means you basically cant use youtube for anything other than uploading private videos

this service just adds a feature, its not taking anything away from the regular youtube

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The name. Too close to redtube.

Exactly what I thought when I read it :D

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

People wouldn't care about youtube ads if google didn't run pre role 15 second long before skip (or longer) ads, especially with the US election, do political ads even work because by the time the main election roles around I'm tempted to vote for mickey mouse.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

$10!?! WAY too expensive.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

YouTube announced YouTube Red which will let users watch any video on the site without ads and I was wondering if Adblock Plus will still work to block the ads on YouTube videos?

YouTube announced its Red initiative which will let users watch any video on the site without ads and I was wondering if Adblock Plus will still work to block the ads on YouTube?

I have no idea, but you could try it and see what happens.

:)xD9_9:D:PB|

If not Ublock might, but who knows it seems like a sketchy google move, which is odd.

Edit: I wonder if the LMG workers have some insight on the subject seeing they work on a youtube platform primarily.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Do you have to pay for Red Initiative?

I would guess yes, but don't know.  Otherwise everyone would jump on and what would be the point?

...I was wondering if Adblock Plus will still work to block the ads on YouTube videos?

I would think so unless they simultaneously step up their game on "normal" youtube to stop it, which I doubt they will, at least at first

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I use adblock, so it's pretty pointless. Offline viewing isn't that compelling considering you can download chrome add-ons that download videos locally.

PC: CPU: i7-5820k  GPU: GTX 1080 ROG Strix OC 8GB  RAM: 32GB DDR4   SSD: Samsung Evo 850 1TB  Board: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Case: Corsair 760T

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13" (i7, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM)

We haven't received any more info than you guys have. #Google

I've heard that they are trying to create TV-level content to compete with services like Netflix (eg. the Pewds horror show or whatever).

We haven't received any more info than you guys have. #Google

I've heard that they are trying to create TV-level content to compete with services like Netflix (eg. the Pewds horror show or whatever).

Oh, ewww.

Netflix comes out with amazing content because of the amount of money they rake in from subscribers consolidated as one, maybe plus several executive producers... Unless YouTube will be paying these dudes a significant amount of money to form a Web-show series... its not gonna be great

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

I use adblock, so it's pretty pointless. Offline viewing isn't that compelling considering you can download chrome add-ons that download videos locally.

If they're releasing something where you pay for no ads, do you really think Adblock is gonna work anymore?

Oh, ewww.

Netflix comes out with amazing content because of the amount of money they rake in from subscribers consolidated as one, maybe plus several executive producers... Unless YouTube will be paying these dudes a significant amount of money to form a Web-show series... its not gonna be great

I think they got the director of The Walking Dead or something for Pewds' show, so it seems like they're throwing a decent amount of money at it.

I'm interested to see how it all turns out.

A question ONLY Linus can answer,

What % increase in revenue per user does he get with people paying for the ad free version of youtube vs the standard ad version.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

If they're releasing something where you pay for no ads, do you really think Adblock is gonna work anymore?

Doubt they'd prevent it. Not only would it enrage users, adblock or some other company would just find a work around.

PC: CPU: i7-5820k  GPU: GTX 1080 ROG Strix OC 8GB  RAM: 32GB DDR4   SSD: Samsung Evo 850 1TB  Board: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Case: Corsair 760T

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13" (i7, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM)

I think they got the director of The Walking Dead or something for Pewds' show, so it seems like they're throwing a decent amount of money at it.

I'm interested to see how it all turns out.

So it's a matter of time before we see a million dollar feature film about "The Big Cuddling Incident of Linus Media Group"?