friend cant get into her laptop

lukky211111

so my friend has an hp laptop specificly its an hp 15 notebook i believe with an amd apu. now to the main part she cant seem to get into her compute rbecause the it keeps telling her the password is invalid when she knows that the password is right shes tried other passwords and such and has even tried reentering it each character at a time made sure caps lock was off and all that. is there a way to get into her laptop some other way?

askdjfasdf

When a machine tells you the password is wrong, the password is simply wrong.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

When a machine tells you the password is wrong, the password is simply wrong.

yes thats a very wise observation thing is shed like to be able to use her computer again? can i possibly do a reinstall somehow? iv elooked everywhere through her bios and cant find a factory reset or anyhting of that sort.

askdjfasdf

yes thats a very wise observation thing is shed like to be able to use her computer again? can i possibly do a reinstall somehow? iv elooked everywhere through her bios and cant find a factory reset or anyhting of that sort.

You can't reset OS from the Bios - either remember the password or format the hard drive.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

You can't reset OS from the Bios - either remember the password or format the hard drive.

how do i go about reformating the harddrive?

askdjfasdf

There are tools to mess with windows passwords that might work to regain control, but I've never used one so can't advise on any

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

There are tools to mess with windows passwords that might work to regain control, but I've never used one so can't advise on any

so would it be a good idea to possibly boot form a usb drive with windows 8 on it? and do a fresh re install?

askdjfasdf

There is a shortcut to the Windows recovery menu and you can activate it while booting up. I don't remember it off the top of my head but if you give me a bit and she doesn't mind losing her files then I'll figure it out.

There is a shortcut to the Windows recovery menu and you can activate it while booting up. I don't remember it off the top of my head but if you give me a bit and she doesn't mind losing her files then I'll figure it out.

alrighty

askdjfasdf

alrighty

Boot up the PC.

Hold shift while you restart the computer from the login screen.

Keep holding shift until Startup Repair shows up.

I think it's something along the lines of Advanced options->Refresh/Reset PC-> Reinstall Windows.

I don't think a normal user would be able to accomplish this. If you live close to her or something than that would be the best way to go. Don't want to risk here f'ing up the PC.

Boot up the PC.

I think it's something along the lines of Advanced options->Refresh/Reset PC-> Reinstall Windows.

I don't think a normal user would be able to accomplish this. If you live close to her or something than that would be the best way to go. Don't want to risk here f'ing up the PC.

ok im skyping with her and gonna try to walk her through it as best i can she has none of her stuff from when she got the computer though so thats the only issue.

askdjfasdf

You can reset your password but it can be tricky. It'll also only work if you have a recovery disk/install dick for windows.

Follow this guide:

http://www.howtogeek.com/96630/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-windows-password-the-easy-way/

If you have any questions just ask.

unable to do that since she doesnt have her reinstall media.

askdjfasdf

Hmmm, you may be able to find a download that you could shove on a USB? Your other option is to boot into Linux and manually copy and replace the files you need.

Hmmm, you may be able to find a download that you could shove on a USB? Your other option is to boot into Linux and manually copy and replace the files you need.

alrighty witha bootable device will i need a windows 8 key because she doesnt have one other than what is installed on her laptop which we cant get at and i cant actually be there in person to help her fully.

askdjfasdf

Is your friend using 32bit or 64bit version of windows?

id imagine 32 bit

askdjfasdf

id imagine 32 bit

You can use Kon- Boot but that cost like $15 for the version which supports windows 8 or you can get it through other methods if you don't want to pay for it.

You can use Kon- Boot but that cost like $15 for the version which supports windows 8 or you can get it through other methods if you don't want to pay for it.

so i cant just do a reinstall without a windows key?

askdjfasdf

so i cant just do a reinstall without a windows key?

You can if you do it through startup repair. Just not from a USB like RZeroX I assume means.

Boot up the PC.

so if i reset her pc will ineed a windows key? cuz she doesnt have anything from her computer.

askdjfasdf

You can if you do it through startup repair. Just not from a USB like RZeroX I assume means.

You can do it through USB you just got to add a file to the sources folder so that you doesn't require a product key when installing.

how do i get to startup repair? is it that holding shift thing and then hitting reset pc?

askdjfasdf

how do i get to startup repair? is it that holding shift thing and then hitting reset pc?

Yes.