[REVIEW] Beyerdynamic T1 2. Generation

SSL

In that price range its gotta look good. Luckily must planers look great

Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.

The more time I spend on head-fi, the more I cringe.

What is wrong with the people there???

Was reading through your convorsation on the T1 gen 2 thread.

Why do people think you need a 1:1 ratio for headphones to source? Thats just stupid.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

The more time I spend on head-fi, the more I cringe.

What is wrong with the people there???

Was reading through your convorsation on the T1 gen 2 thread.

Why do people think you need a 1:1 ratio for headphones to source? Thats just stupid.

I don't know man. I really don't, at this point. They think they can hear a difference, so whatever. I can tell you that making an account there was a mistake. Exactly what I expected to happen happened, e.g. everyone fixated on the amp as the source of the problem, rather than admitting that the headphone itself has an inherent sound signature regardless of source. Also, I think a mod deleted one of my posts. Nice community, all in all!

I don't know man. I really don't, at this point. They think they can hear a difference, so whatever. I can tell you that making an account there was a mistake. Exactly what I expected to happen happened, e.g. everyone fixated on the amp as the source of the problem, rather than admitting that the headphone itself has an inherent sound signature regardless of source. Also, I think a mod deleted one of my posts. Nice community, all in all!

Yeah...

I havent tried any high end amps/dacs but im going to trust science over whatever they beleive in.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Yeah...

I havent tried any high end amps/dacs but im going to trust science over whatever they beleive in.

I don't doubt that amps can sound different, I just think people get extremely carried away with the benefits to very expensive ones. I haven't tried any "serious" amps either, but I'm probably going to get an Asgard 2 once my T1 refund goes through, so we'll see how that does.

I don't doubt that amps can sound different, I just think people get extremely carried away with the benefits to very expensive ones. I haven't tried any "serious" amps either, but I'm probably going to get an Asgard 2 once my T1 refund goes through, so we'll see how that does.

And get carried away about the downfalls of cheaperr ones. Everyone in that thread was saying how the problem was your "crappy" 75$ amp/dac.

And get carried away about the downfalls of cheaperr ones. Everyone in that thread was saying how the problem was your "crappy" 75$ amp/dac.

Yeah, seriously. I think the most telling thing was the lack of awareness of the sound signature of the T1. It really is far from flat or neutral. Those new pads provide a broadband boost toeverything below about 1000Hz, which I'd say is showing the limitation of open dynamic drivers. The only way to get more bass is to throw the kitchen sink at the problem and the result is less than pretty.

Looking at FR graphs more closely, I would guess that cans like the AKG K7xx have the same problem.

Yeah, seriously. I think the most telling thing was the lack of awareness of the sound signature of the T1. It really is far from flat or neutral. Those new pads provide a broadband boost toeverything below about 1000Hz, which I'd say is showing the limitation of open dynamic drivers. The only way to get more bass is to throw the kitchen sink at the problem and the result is less than pretty.

Looking at FR graphs more closely, I would guess that cans like the AKG K7xx have the same problem.

Might be why I didnt like my K7XX

Might be why I didnt like my K7XX

What didn't you like about them?

What didn't you like about them?

That im not sure exactly. I found them boring, and they just didnt seem like they were anything special.

EDIT:

Thats one of my problems, im not good at describing sound. I can tell what is better, i just can never describe why. I have that problem for cello too. (i play cello)

That im not sure exactly. I found them boring, and they just didnt seem like they were anything special.

Hard to say, then. Maybe the absense of a rising response into the bass made them less interesting?

Hard to say, then. Maybe the absense of a rising response into the bass made them less interesting?

possibly. If you see my edit, you will see im not good at describing sound.

possibly. If you see my edit, you will see im not good at describing sound.

That's neat that you play cello. Are you taking lessons or anything like that?

If you want to get better at describing sound, I really recommend the Philips golden ear challenge. It isn't terribly in depth, but it introduces the basic vocabularly you need to describe sound signatures.

That's neat that you play cello. Are you taking lessons or anything like that?

If you want to get better at describing sound, I really recommend the Philips golden ear challenge. It isn't terribly in depth, but it introduces the basic vocabularly you need to describe sound signatures.

Yeah, I take private lessons, and then am also in the school orchestra.

RIght now we are playing some difficult peices. Vivaldi's Summer from the Four Seasons.

Ill look at the Philips thing right now.

Yeah, I take private lessons, and then am also in the school orchestra.

RIght now we are playing some difficult peices. Vivaldi's Summer from the Four Seasons.

Ill look at the Philips thing right now.

Awesome. Let me know how it goes.

Love me some Vivalidi, that must be fun. I used to play in the orchestra when I was in school, too. Unfortunately, on the piano I usually got the harp part, which meant I'd play about one note every 50 measures. I don't know why they even bothered.

Love me some Vivalidi, that must be fun. I used to play in the orchestra when I was in school, too. Unfortunately, on the piano I usually got the harp part, which meant I'd play about one note every 50 measures. I don't know why they even bothered.

Yeah.

Thoe for Vivalidi the pianist gets the harpsichord part, seems like a pretty good part.

Yeah.

Thoe for Vivalidi the pianist gets the harpsichord part, seems like a pretty good part.

Sure, at least it's actually for a keyboard instrument.

Sure, at least it's actually for a keyboard instrument.

I used to play violin and saxophone, those were some fun times.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Wow this golden ears thing is longer than I thought.

I just completed the basic level. I got everything first try, other than in coloration. I had troubles with that for some reason.

Wow this golden ears thing is longer than I thought.

I just completed the basic level. I got everything first try, other than in coloration. I had troubles with that for some reason.

Yeah, I didn't do it all in one sitting. Honestly the "Gold" level and final test are a bit pointless, but you can decide that for yourself.

I used to play violin and saxophone, those were some fun times.

Nice. I still try to play through stuff sometimes, but I seem to be busy or else tired from being busy these days.

I feel like at some point I want to re learn piano. I took it until 4th grade, so I wasnt that good after then, but then i stopped for cello. But not I kinda want to learn to play again, especialy after listening to a nice BIlly Joel song or any other good piano peices.

I feel like at some point I want to re learn piano. I took it until 4th grade, so I wasnt that good after then, but then i stopped for cello. But not I kinda want to learn to play again, especialy after listening to a nice BIlly Joel song or any other good piano peices.

I'd say worth it. It's fun to be able to sit down and toss off a piece or two. Plus if you get an electric keyboard you can use some nice headphones. Just don't get the T1 for that purpose :)

I'd say worth it. It's fun to be able to sit down and toss off a piece or two. Plus if you get an electric keyboard you can use some nice headphones. Just don't get the T1 for that purpose :)

We have a (not the best) USB keyboard, plus an actual piano.

I think im going to have to start re-learning piano.

It might be helpfull to learn it properly, as i am ashamed to admit, I dont really know the note names. Like if you point to a note on a staff I can play it on my cello imediatly, and 10 seconds later I can tell you the note name

We have a (not the best) USB keyboard, plus an actual piano.

I think im going to have to start re-learning piano.

It might be helpfull to learn it properly, as i am ashamed to admit, I dont really know the note names. Like if you point to a note on a staff I can play it on my cello imediatly, and 10 seconds later I can tell you the note name

Wish I had that problem. For me, I can read the note immediately, and can then play it about 10 seconds later.