Russia tried to cut off World Wide Web

zMeul

source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/11934411/Russia-tried-to-cut-off-World-Wide-Web.html

Russia has run large scale experiments to test the feasibility of cutting the country off the World Wide Web, a senior industry executive has claimed.

The tests, which come amid mounting concern about a Kremlin campaign to clamp down on internet freedoms, have been described by experts as preparations for an information blackout in the event of a domestic political crisis.

Andrei Semerikov, general director of a Russian service provider called Er Telecom, said Russia’s ministry of communications and Roskomnadzor, the national internet regulator, ordered communications hubs run by the main Russian internet providers to block traffic to foreign communications channels by using a traffic control system called DPI.

The objective was to see whether the Runet – the informal name for the Russian internet – could continue to function in isolation from the global internet.

The experiment, which took place in spring this year, failed because thousands of smaller service providers, which Roskomnadzor has little control over, continued to pass information out of the country, Mr Semerikov said.

Smaller providers account for over 50 per cent of the market in some Russian regions, generally lack the DPI technology used by the larger companies to implement the blocking orders, and often use satellite connections that cannot be easily blocked.

Russian officials denied any such experiment had taken place. A Roskomnadzor spokesman said “there was not such experiment". The agency had not responded to a written request for further details by close of business Thursday.

But the reported Spring experiment follows a similar test in July last year, when security agencies including the FSB, the defence ministry, and the interior ministry collaborated with the national telephone operator to see if a national intranet made up of the domain names ending in .ru or. рф could continue to operate if cut off from other parts of the Internet.

That test was reportedly ordered personally by Vladimir Putin, the Russian president, to assess the Russian internet’s ability to continue operating if Western countries introduce sanctions cutting off the country from the internet, and resulted in a decision to build backup infrastructure to ensure the Runet's continued operation.

---

since I live fairly close to Russia USSR and their involvement in Ukraine, this shit scares me

Putin is preparing his country to return to Soviet Union era where control over the people was paramount - I have 1st hand experience of what communism and totalitarianism does to a nation and to it's people

the number one question is: why aren't the russians reacting ... or, they like to live in ignorance?

My question is why use Russia? They have close relations with North Korea, take a group of X number of people throw them into North korean environment with whatever internet stuff they want to do and proceed with their tests there.  

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

communism

Communism basically refers to not opening up your market pretty much totally to the USA

You are thinking to an Authoritarian Oligarchic Controlled market 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Communism refers to not opening up your market pretty much totally to the USA

.....you might want to do some reading, and re-evaluate that statement. Communism is FAR more than the elimination of a free market economy.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

.....you might want to do some reading, and re-evaluate that statement. Communism is FAR more than the elimination of a free market economy.

I thought I said basically. Editing now.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Communism basically refers to not opening up your market pretty much totally to the USA

you are very much simplifying what real-life communism is - it doesn't limit itself to economy, it has broad reaches in society, politics too

take China for example, they are opened to US market

you are very much simplifying what real-life communism is - it doesn't limit itself to economy, it has broad reaches in society, politics too

take China for example, they are opened to US market

China is not close to communist anymore. They just say that to keep their power.

China is not close to communist anymore. They just say that to keep their power.

because communism doesn't work, it's a mad man fantasy - mad men that have killed tens of millions of people who disagreed with the regime

because communism doesn't work, it's a mad man fantasy - mad men that have killed tens of millions of people who disagreed with the regime

You say it like it happened anywhere in a pure form.

True communism is more like the scandinavian countries and less like what happened in Russia and China

Suka Blyat, my friend. Me Russian. My country do better without internet, my friend. WE ARE RUSSIA. 

My friend.

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

True communism is more like the scandinavian countries and less like what happened in Russia and China

I triple-double dare you to say that to their faces

also, not true ;)

The Scandinavian countries are so communist. With their private ownership of property and mixed market.

Go learn what communism is - both in practice and theory.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

The Scandinavian countries are so communist. With their private ownership of property and mixed market.

Go learn what communism is - both in practice and theory.

I thought we agreed that communism is just not being 100% open to the USA and not government owns everything..

I thought we agreed that communism is just not being 100% open to the USA and not government owns everything..

I have no idea what the USA has to do with a country being communist or not.

Communism is a political, economic and social ideology that strives to create common ownership of the means of production. Government ownership is only one method of common ownership but in practice state force will always be required.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

Communism is a political, economic and social ideology that strives to create common ownership of the means of production. Government ownership is only one method of common ownership but in practice state force will always be required.

Eh wrong

that is called a planned economy

Stop feeding the troll.

While Russia may have tried to do that, they have not succeeded, and I hope it stays that way.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

That doesn't make sense at all... So what your saying is that a country is communist if it doesn't trade with the USA? And China would still be considered communist, it is ruled by the CPC, it really only trades with other countries so it can continue to rise to becoming an economic super power. Pretty much all other aspects of China line up with communist ideologies.

it really only trades with other countries so it can continue to rise to becoming an economic super power.

But isn't that what all countries do?