Techie reasons to like (or not hate) Apple [Serious replies only]

LukaP

I will be honest with you I asked the very same question yesterday

Now I am sitting here with a 2008 MBP that I bought cheap (but needs a new drive)

Things I like:

Metal casing it is soo  lovely

Screen is nice

Feels nice

Bad things:

Hard drive just failed ( okay, 7 years old laptop, it is not Apples fault but...)

I need a friend with a Mac to download El Capitan and to sort out an SSD... I am a bit sad as I have a Windows PC, so I cant do it myself, but yeah locked down system

anyway it will be a long experiment about how good an Apple laptop (after the HDD issue sorted out ofc) compared to a Windows laptop that I have used for a year (I am not going to compare gaming performance, that was an i7 and GT720m, this is an Core 2 Duo T9600 with a GT9600m/9400m. It has 2 GPU how cool is that?)

Their iPhones get updates for the 4 years after release, better than every Android manufacturer (even Nexus phones). It makes sense to pay 800$ for an iPhone if you plan on keeping it 4 years.

Other than that, I hate the MacBooks with their glued in batteries. Eh, the Mac Pro has the benefit of great power in a small footprint. The iMacs are great if you love pixels I guess.

Never bought an Apple product but I can't rule out I will buy an iPhone one day. The part about the Mac Pro and the iMac was just playing the devil's advocate.

EDIT: also Apple products have a high reselling value. A Galaxy S phone will be worth half as much after a year and a half. iPhones drop significantly less in price.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

They focus on customer experience above all. 

Their phone is for people who need a simple phone to just work and to supply them with the right amount of extra features to make each new phone special. 

I don't see much of a reason to hate them, unless you can't afford it or something. The software is great for the average user and let's be honest, everyone is trying to match their build quality. (Bendgate was a sad moment for them though). 

Actually you did understand, you just disagree. I don't like fashion. Of any kind. Some people do and while they're entitled to it I am also entitled to ridicule anyone who indulges in it.

I understand the point, not the hatred or ridicule. Why do people buy 50k+ cars? Because they can, and they want that luxury. I wouldn't ridicule those people, but, I guess that's up to you. They have decided to pay more money for a more elegant solution, like every other house appliance, every house, every car, everything that is purchased in a non-communistic monetary system.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Now I am sitting here with a 2008 MBP that I bought cheap (but needs a new drive)

Okay first experience

It was on sleep and I reckon the files got corrupted.

atm it works well, quick enough, and downloading El Cap, while just poking around

So far it looks really nice, the Yosemite (10.10.5) looks really clean and I like the start bar at the bottom a lot

the search is amazing, compared to the windows it is better to use.

Whereas windows will give you a big list of files and options at search, that can be confusing, the OSX gives you the words that you are looking for, and the topics you search for, so it does help quite a bit and it is quick

I like the whole app store as well, although I never downloaded "apps" on my W10, as it seems just weird for me, as I usually use the web based system instead of getting the app.

EDIT: Fun fact:

The first PC I built was with an E4600 and GT 9600 2GB RAM

The T9600 (CPU in MBP) is quicker than E4600 and the GPU roughly half as quick as the GT9600, while it fits in my backpack lightly.

I wanted to build a PC that is similar than my old PC, but then again I can tick 2 things at once :D