5820k vs 6700k - OverClocking and ingame performance

Hello there,

At first I'd like to mention that I am new user to this forum, however I have been browsing the topics here for a while. I decided to create this topic after a long awaited video went online (5820k vs 6700k or otherwise X99 vs Z170, by LinusTechTips). To be honest it disappointed me a little, since it didn't anyhow solved my problem of choosing between those two chips.. What I'm really curious about is not what is the performance between just those two chips, but which of them will turn out more efficient and future proof when it comes to the OC. Some question I hope will be answered are:

- Will overclocked 5820k be more efficient when it comes to gaming, than overclocked 6700k?
- Are the differences in X99 and Z170 so colossal, that one would rather choose it over the other?
- What might be the performance difference between those two overclocked setups (chips/chipsets)?
- How does the pricing vary when it comes to performance/price ratio at overclocked speeds?

To mention, I've been seeking for such a topic on the forum but didn't find one so far, please refer to them if I missed some. I would really appreciate any feedback on this topic and some shared experience as well. Also I'm much more likely to go with air cooling such as Dark Rock PRO 3, rather than water loops.

- no, 5820k will actually perform worse in most cpu-heavy games, because of its lower performance per core. it makes up for this in multi-threaded applications by having more cores.

- X99 is a platform for people that got crazy - 3-way SLI setups, heavy cpu workloads, etc. are all things where X99 shines.

- X99 will do better in applications that can use more than 4 cores, Z170 will outperform by a decent margin in all other scenarios.

- from my experience X99 is a decent chunk more expensive, and when overclocking you also need to take into account the 5820K is a considerably higher wattage, so you'll need to spend more on cooling it.

for those who want a rough technical breakdown:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-5820K/3502vs2579

The 6700K has a passmark score of 2,290 vs the 5820K's 2,009. But those are at stock speeds. And the 5820K does have the advantage of more cores. Id personally go for a 4790K If It's cheaper than the 6700K.

Hello there,

At first I'd like to mention that I am new user to this forum, however I have been browsing the topics here for a while. I decided to create this topic after a long awaited video went online (5820k vs 6700k or otherwise X99 vs Z170, by LinusTechTips). To be honest it disappointed me a little, since it didn't anyhow solved my problem of choosing between those two chips.. What I'm really curious about is not what is the performance between just those two chips, but which of them will turn out more efficient and future proof when it comes to the OC. Some question I hope will be answered are:

- Will overclocked 5820k be more efficient when it comes to gaming, than overclocked 6700k?

- Are the differences in X99 and Z170 so colossal, that one would rather choose it over the other?

- What might be the performance difference between those two overclocked setups (chips/chipsets)?

- How does the pricing vary when it comes to performance/price ratio at overclocked speeds?

To mention, I've been seeking for such a topic on the forum but didn't find one so far, please refer to them if I missed some. I would really appreciate any feedback on this topic and some shared experience as well. Also I'm much more likely to go with air cooling such as Dark Rock PRO 3, rather than water loops.

for gaming, the 6700k will perform better. the 6700k is more than enough these days.

X99 is only for people who want to use more than 4 cores for faster production, such as rendering, editing etc.

If you're only going to be playing games, you dont need 6 cores. 4 is enough.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Saying you "dont need 6 cores" is wrong, in a way... Games in the future will be able to take advantage of more than 4 cores, so 6 cores would be a nice "futureproof" idea, HOWEVER, single core performance @ stock speeds on the 5820K is worse than on the 6700K.

4 without hyperthreading, to boot, so a 6600K will do OP good.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Saying you "dont need 6 cores" is wrong, in a way... Games in the future will be able to take advantage of more than 4 cores, so 6 cores would be a nice "futureproof" idea, HOWEVER, single core performance @ stock speeds on the 5820K is worse than on the 6700K.

Single core performance will be worse no matter what, the 6700k is a new architecture and supports higher memory speeds and cache can OC higher.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I just bought a 6700k over the 5820k. The price is pretty much the same, so that's why I had trouble choosing!

I ended up with the 6700k because it uses less power, gets less hot and performs better in most real world applications. The only thing the 5820k would win, would be something like rendering video or benchmarks like cinebench.

As for z170 vs. x99, you'd have more PCI lanes, so if you're going for 3-4 way SLI, then that would be a better option.

Single core performance will be worse no matter what, the 6700k is a new architecture and supports higher memory speeds and cache can OC higher.

Havent seen any test on OC'ed 5820K so I couldnt say anything there :P

Havent seen any test on OC'ed 5820K so I couldnt say anything there :P

Haswell E is based on haswell's architecture, which has lower single thread than Skylake.

It's common sense lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Haswell E is based on haswell's architecture, which has lower single thread than Skylake.

It's common sense lol

As I said, I hadnt done any research into It, so I didnt wish to make a statement and then find out It was false, Isnt that better? Muricans and their brains...

its gonna be a while till games start needing 6 cores... most games nowdays dont even use up all 4 cores....

4 cores is enough for upcoming years.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

its gonna be a while till games start needing 6 cores... most games nowdays dont even use up all 4 cores....

If it takes around 2 years for games to start using more than 4 cores the 5820K will be too old anyways.

Linus's benchmark results says otherwise

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

The 6700K has a passmark score of 2,290 vs the 5820K's 2,009. But those are at stock speeds. And the 5820K does have the advantage of more cores. Id personally go for a 4790K If It's cheaper than the 6700K.

passmark is one of the least reliable benchmarking sources i know.

I personally don't think the "games in the future" argument is strong enough yet to really warrant a purchase like a 5820K. The trend may be going toward more cores being used, but not necessarily more cores being needed. In reality, the vast majority of games are GPU-bound (especially when aiming for 60 FPS), and if anything it looks like that will be even more true in DirectX 12. I personally think a 6700K (or 6600K for that matter) is still a very safe bet.

IPC is king when it comes to gaming, always been and always will be.

So...for a gaming i would build Z170 and i7-6700K if budget allow, hands down.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Everyone says Haswell-E is a waste for gaming, but when I go check CPU benchmarks on GameGPU.ru most of the time the i7-5960x is at the top despite it being only 3.0 GHz. 

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

you say ipc is king, but the 6700K still doesn't make sense. in the case of people saying ipc is king, you would get a 6600K not a 6700K. anything that uses the hyperthreading of the 6700K is probably going to use all the cores and threads on the 5820K so the 5820k will always be faster unless not multi threaded in which case the 6600K will be faster as its a cooler cpu so you should be able to oc higher. and you have a good upgrade path with x99.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Thank you for all the replies, I am glad many of you made some good points in here; surely will think about it some more and tell you what I decided to buy, for now bellow I post some OC'ed benchmark of 5820k which I ran into today. Seems like the GPU is the limiting factor out there, both 3.6 and 4.4 GHz options end up with the nearly same FPS... Keep on digging!  ;)

Thank you for all the replies, I am glad many of you made some good points in here; surely will think about it some more and tell you what I decided to buy, for now bellow I post some OC'ed benchmark of 5820k which I ran into today. Seems like the GPU is the limiting factor out there, both 3.6 and 4.4 GHz options end up with the nearly same FPS... Keep on digging!  ;)

Man as a owner of a 5820k@4.3Ghz when I saw this I considered dropping my OC back to stock.

Wow just wow...

• 2 weeks later...

Man as a owner of a 5820k@4.3Ghz when I saw this I considered dropping my OC back to stock.

Wow just wow...

Just bear in mind, that this applies only to GPU intensive applications (such as GTA:V or Witcher 3), all the CPU bound programs will take advantage of higher speeds and thus result in better performance! :)

Have the exact same problem as you... Don't know what to do.

• 2 months later...

So I thought I would post a reply here after having bought the 5820k a mont ago...

I was totally wotth it since I have OCed to 4.1 With no problem and everythings runs smooth. this OC was applied byy motherboard and I certainly can go further with my asus x99 sabertooth and Thermaltake Water 3. Ultimate.

The +s are having no trouble with stuttering, better multitasking and simply everthing related to cpu intensive content creation.

while the -s are long boot up time on x99 (~25-30s), higher temps.

I would still go for this CPU if I had to choose again. Recommend it to everyone who's struggling between 4790(k), 6700(k) and 5820k/5930k

So I thought I would post a reply here after having bought the 5820k a mont ago...

I was totally wotth it since I have OCed to 4.1 With no problem and everythings runs smooth. this OC was applied byy motherboard and I certainly can go further with my asus x99 sabertooth and Thermaltake Water 3. Ultimate.

The +s are having no trouble with stuttering, better multitasking and simply everthing related to cpu intensive content creation.

while the -s are long boot up time on x99 (~25-30s), higher temps.

I would still go for this CPU if I had to choose again. Recommend it to everyone who's struggling between 4790(k), 6700(k) and 5820k/5930k

I concur, my last post was October, though I regret the MSI x99a Gaming 7 choice and wished I did wait for the Sabertooth the platform is doing everything I want it to.

My overclock is 4.3Ghz@1.25v, but it will do 4.2Ghz@1.18v.

In gaming I compared the system to my old (no wifes) 4790k Firestrike results and honestly the 5820k@4.3Ghz vs 4790K@4.4Ghz (all cores), the 5820k actually beats it by 1000 points consistently. 

Boot times are a little slower than the 4790k, but that's due to the x99 platforms overhead (memory training, clock speed test etc etc), but from the x99 completed BIOS checks to Windows boot times are the same.  :D