GTX 970 3.5GB HELP!

jakecurrier33
Go to solution Solved by don_svetlio,

So like DDR3 VRAM like in my r7-240?

Slower

Does the GTX 970 use all 4GB GDDR5 or just up to 3.5GB and is it still worth it I can spend up to $560CAN 

What resolution do you game at? The whole 3.5gb issue is all smoke

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

Better off with a 390

anyway it can use 4gb of vram its just that the last 0.5gb is very very slow

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

In 99% of programs, and all games it can only use 3.5gbs.

Check pricing, if its similar in your area, which it most likely is, the 390 performs all around better, costs about the same, and has more than twice the usable vram.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

If I understand correctly, it has 4GB of VRAM, but .5GB of that is a lower speed.  So once you use up the 3.5GB that is faster, it starts to bog down.  It's still a good card, but at that price range maybe look at what AMD has to offer.  That's my 2c

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

being an owner of such a card i can confirm that the last half gig is slightly slower, but i still use 3.8GB on GTA V and notice no problems

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

3.5GB runs at full speed (224-bit bus), where .5 GB runs at 1/8 the normal speed (32-bit bus). As i understand it you will stutter after using past 3.5 GB VRAM since the .5 isn't fast enough. An R9 390 is the same price usually and has 8 GB VRAM, also kills the 970 in benches ive seen it run in.

[Dat Black and White] i5 4690k @ 4.7 GHz | Gigabyte G1 R9 380 4GB | MSI Z97A SLI Krait Edtion | Hyper X 16GB 1866 RAM | Corsair H100i GTX | Corsair RM 750W | WD Black 1TB | Kingston 240GB SSD

just get a 390; similar if not better performance with more than double the vram at the same price

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Generally, games will just max at 3.5GB and the last 0.5 won't get used. I have one, and have experienced no performance problems. Depending on where you live, AMD's offering might be similarly priced, but here in Japan a 390 starts at about 20% more expensive than a 970. Also, it will cost you more in electricity, if that's a concern. All in all, the 3.5GB thing is unlikely to cause you any problems, and both mentioned cards are good.

What resolution do you game at? The whole 3.5gb issue is all smoke

It's not all smoke, though it's mainly an issue with ethics. It should be advertised properly, not as a normal 4GB card.

Nonetheless, the 390 is a better card with better value at this point in time and there's no real reason to buy the 970 anymore.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

it can use all 4, but the last 500MB are slow and can cause some bad performance

but the 390 performs better at about the same price, so thats a better option anyway

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It's not all smoke, though it's mainly an issue with ethics. It should be advertised properly, not as a normal 4GB card.

Nonetheless, the 390 is a better card with better value at this point in time and there's no real reason to buy the 970 anymore.

Sure there isnt.

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

The card can use 4GB but depend on how much Nvidia able to optimize their driver to actually use the faster 3.5GB partition for games and 0.5GB for everything else that doesn't need fast RAM(DWM,decoder,etc).

I say go for 390 since Pascal is coming next year and we know how Nvidia treat their older architecture.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Sure there isnt.

I just bought one a few weeks ago for my kid's birthday. Just recently got it installed and slightly overclocked. Like you, I'm quite pleased with it. :)

It had a good rebate, sale, and free MGS5. I'd say those were all good reasons. Subtracting the value of the game, the card was about $250.

hell i dont know, all I know is that 390 beats a 970 in terms of preformance

390x even farther

Prob getting at 

GIGABYTE Radeon R9 390X and Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon to replace my i5-4460 and r7-240 got a great msi z97-g45 mobo and Rosewill 750w mod psu so 

This topic is old and has multiple tests done, idk why people and still freaking out about the 3m5gb vram... its plenty for a 970, stop worrying about it, or just dont get it. 970sli still only have 3.5gb of usable ram yet will kill a 980ti that has 6gb of ram? Come on people use some common sense here

Prob getting at 

GIGABYTE Radeon R9 390X and Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon to replace my i5-4460 and r7-240 got a great msi z97-g45 mobo and Rosewill 750w mod psu so 

gigabyte makes horrid coolers for amd series

get sapphire one i suggested you

if not then MSI

power cooler and xfx would be the last of the choises b4 going into the shit coolers like asus and gigabyte also voltage is locked on the gigabyte card

I owned a GTX 970. I own a GTX 980. The segmented memory is not as crippling to the card as some users in this thread will claim. A friend of mine has his 970 overclocked a bit and his card matches my 980 at stock settings in benches.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I owned a GTX 970. I own a GTX 980. The segmented memory is not as crippling to the card as some users in this thread will claim. A friend of mine has his 970 overclocked a bit and his card matches my 980 at stock settings in benches.

That's what I like to hear.  Because not two weeks after I bought a 970 (and before it was installed) I saw that 390 prices dropped quite a bit. We've also got a 290 so I have no brand loyalty.  I'm a rookie overclocker, but tonight I spent 30 minutes tinkering with Afterburner. I got 7 more FPS (on the "minimum" measurement) on the Valley benchmark.