MSI X99A SLi PLUS Motherboard - Corsair DDR4 3333 MHz Dominator Platinum Memory

Go to solution Solved by Elvemir,

Guess what folks! I got it to run. Although, it's about 100 MHz less than advertised, I manually changed the frequency. I kept XMP disabled, since it wasn't working well with this kit. Hallelujah! :)

post-118838-0-70634800-1444773222.png

Hi guys,

Quick question - I am having issues booting up my computer if I enable XMP from BIOS to get the memory to run at it's actual reading, i.e, 3333 MHz. But it doesn't boot up and I get a BSOD.. No OC, no other modifications. All other BIOS settings running at default. If I turn off XMP it works fine, but at a lower rate (What do you guys suppose the issue can be?

EDIT: 

The OC in the picture below is after testing the above stuff. I got lucky 4.6 GHz @ 1.283v I haven't played around with the voltages yet, I am still putting in some finishing touches to the build :)

Thanks!
E

post-118838-0-30443600-1444702346.png

It could be that you got unlucky and the ram cant run on the XMP profiles, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

You'll NEVER get Haswell e to run st that speed unless you overvolt the memory controller.

3300 is for Skylake. Crap most Haswell e chips have problems over 2666

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

I just have to know. How much did you pay for that memory?

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

You're most likely going to need OC socket and a board like the Champion / RVE to run those kinds of memory speeds on haswell-e.

You'll need to set up OC socket to add volts, and add voltage to IMC like VSA and IOD/IOA  as @JustCallMeVlad mentioned.

You may be able to get away with just IMC voltages instead of OC socket, but OC socket would help.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

That ram costs more than the board.

You made a HUGE mistake with that board matched with that memory especially because no OC Socket.

Go pick yourself up a SOC Champion. :)

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

You'll NEVER get Haswell e to run st that speed unless you overvolt the memory controller.

3300 is for Skylake. Crap most Haswell e chips have problems over 2666

kektus, I have 3200 CL15 running fine for 24/7 with all voltages at stock.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

OP here, my steam connection isn't working with my login.

Anyway,

I don't get what you folks are talking about? I paid $330 for this memory kit. I checked and MSI's board does support upto 3300 (http://us.msi.com/product/mb/X99S-SLI-PLUS.html#hero-overview) - DDR4 2133/2200*/ 2400*/2600*/2666*/2750*/3000*/3110*/3333*(*OC)MHz

Someone on Corsair's Amazon page for this product posted in the review section and I quote: "XMP Profile doesn't seem to work very well with either of my DDR4 platforms. Can manually configure the ram just fine."

Any idea what they're talking about? What am I missing here? I thought Haswell should be able to support such high frequencies? Is there anything I can do to get it to work at the specified speed?

If not, would you guys recommend I return it and get some other memory? Which one would you recommend? I prefer getting the Dominator Platinum series; goes really well with my build (looks-wise).

Thanks!

E

Does the bus speed need to be updated to something else? I'm sure XMP is out of the question. I think it can manually be setup? I'm still new to tweaking memory, I have never done that before. If you guys agree, I might as well get a 2400 MHz - 32 GB kit for cheaper than the 3300 MHz - 16GB kit that I have.. Do you folks think that would work better?

Thanks!
E

BUMP - As much as I hate bumping my own thread.. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

Guess what folks! I got it to run. Although, it's about 100 MHz less than advertised, I manually changed the frequency. I kept XMP disabled, since it wasn't working well with this kit. Hallelujah! :)

post-118838-0-70634800-1444773222.png