Is Chrome OS a Viable Platform for Students?

MRC380
Go to solution Solved by Kiyuubi,

Open up the Chrome browser on a regular computer.  Can you do all of your computing just within the Chrome browser?  If yes, then the Chromebook is for you, if not, then no.

The title says it all. This topic applies to myself at the moment as i am a student looking for an inexpensive laptop solution for school work/projects.

I know Chrome OS does not allow you to install microsoft word and excel, as well as other Microsoft programs, however most of these programs are now online for free at:

https://www.office.com/ and they are all compatible with Google Docs. Yes, Chromebooks typically have limited storage and use small capacity SSD's for quick boot times, however if it is strictly for school work and web surfing then storage is not really a big concern right? Does this mean Chrome OS is a viable platform? Of course the major restriction would be that you always need to be connected

to the internet in order to do pretty much anything with a Chromebook, however what if you're a student (such as myself)? 

There is pretty much WiFI everywhere nowadays, including my school and nearby cafes. So if being connected to the web is no longer an issue, what is there that holds us back from pursuing Chrome OS as our platform of choice? Please leave your comments/thoughts below :)

P.S - I'm looking to buy a laptop for school, and seeing as how Chromebooks are inexpensive, I thought I'd get the community feedback before making a decision

A chromebook is a good idea for middle schoolers who do nothing but web browsing and youtube. The downside is that you can not run anything on them. At all.

(besides anything in the chrome webstore, that is)

A chromebook is a good idea for middle schoolers who do nothing but web browsing and youtube. The downside is that you can not run anything on them. At all.

pretty much anything you need for middleschool will run on a chromebook

word, excel, powerpoint, plus like the other hundred thousand chrome apps

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If your schools only requires you to browse, fill up online tests and assignments and work on basic text documents and presentations, absolutely. However I'd set aside some money to get at least a 128 ssd which should be fairly cheap and make the experience much better having some space built in it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I would bet on a Surface RT or HP Stream rather than a Chromebook. The limitation of not being able to install Microsoft Office is a major con for any University or College student. Yes, you can run Word, Excel, and Powerpoint online through OneDrive; however, you will not have the same set of features as you would in a proper Microsoft Office Install.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I always say buy more than the minimum that you need. Especially when it comes to laptops. If your going to use it for school, it's better to pay the higher upfront cost and use the computer for as long as you can than to continually get cheaper ones. That being said, as a college student, I couldn't imagine using chrome OS for anything. Middle school workload maybe, but anything more and you need something more substantial.

Does not having a second parenthesis around something bother anyone else as much as it does me? (Like if this statement was missing a second side)

(besides anything in the chrome webstore, that is)

I'm in my senior year of Highschool, and all i need is work applications such as word, power point, excel, etc. All of these are free on office which are compatible with google docs. I dont need to run any games or anything. Is there anything else i should be aware of?

I would bet on a Surface RT or HP Stream rather than a Chromebook. The limitation of not being able to install Microsoft Office is a major con for any University or College student. Yes, you can run Word, Excel, and Powerpoint online through OneDrive; however, you will not have the same set of features as you would in a proper Microsoft Office Install.

I think a surface rt or Hp Stream would be a bit more expensive here in Ontario, Canada. Yes that is a limitation however If i can always be connected to the internet, why do i Need to have these programs installed when I can access them online? You mentioned the loss of features, what might they be? (curious)

I always say buy more than the minimum that you need. Especially when it comes to laptops. If your going to use it for school, it's better to pay the higher upfront cost and use the computer for as long as you can than to continually get cheaper ones. That being said, as a college student, I couldn't imagine using chrome OS for anything. Middle school workload maybe, but anything more and you need something more substantial.

As a college student, what programs do you find yourself using most often that you would not be able to access on chrome os?

As a college student, what programs do you find yourself using most often that you would not be able to access on chrome os?

CAD(Inventor/ARTIOS/SolidWorks), Enough storage for all my music, something to write on instead of pen and paper, Full version of OneNote (online is absolute crap in comparison to real), MATLAB

Does not having a second parenthesis around something bother anyone else as much as it does me? (Like if this statement was missing a second side)

Missing features includes inserting Pivot Tables on Excel, importing excel spreadsheets to a Word Document, inserting automatically generated Title pages, Table of Contents, and References (made in accordance to a variety of reference standards including APA), as well as the Format Painter across the Microsoft Office Suite.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

As much I want to say that ChromeOS system is a good buy due to the low cost, and considering the limited use. You can find tablet and laptop at the same price running Windows 8 and now 10. So there is really no point. And now, at least, they can be integrated into the school network (eg: Student account and files can be access form their laptop and computer lab system, everything is in sync, and school can push permissions (group policies/GPOs) to restrict access to things.

As much I want to say that ChromeOS system is a good buy due to the low cost, and considering the limited use. You can find tablet and laptop at the same price running Windows 8 and now 10. So there is really no point. And now, at least, they can be integrated into the school network (eg: Student account and files can be access form their laptop and computer lab system, everything is in sync, and school can push permissions (group policies/GPOs) to restrict access to things.

Can you link me these laptops that cost the same price?

why don't you just buy the chromebook..and install linux on it

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Because screw linux >.<

Because screw linux >.<

its more capable then chromeos

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Agreed. OP should do something to that effect, maybe get more storage too.

Open up the Chrome browser on a regular computer.  Can you do all of your computing just within the Chrome browser?  If yes, then the Chromebook is for you, if not, then no.

I thought group policy requires the Pro version of Windows or above, whereas most laptops come with the standard version of Windows

How to create a strong password

Size does not matter; it's how you use it

Agreed. OP should do something to that effect, maybe get more storage too.

I really dont wanna learn linux and neither do most people :P

fair enough point, i guess ill close the topic then