little work log of painting my GPU shroud

Abyssic

Hi guys

After over a year of ownership, i finally came around to paint my Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X.

Thanks to @RollinLower, i remembered to take a few pictures with my shotty phone camera, so that i can make this work log.

So let's get started.

The first thing i had to do, was completely take apart my graphics card.

ofuOsMG.jpg

These are the individual parts. missing the plastic shroud, as it's already out for painting.

Here is what the painted shroud looked like on it's own. the paint is still wet.

LFkDclL.jpg

In the meantime, i used an old OEM 9600GT that i had lying around.

mDY6oTL.jpg

coinincidentally, also a red one :)

and now, to make up for the lack of documentation pictures, here's some pictures of the finished work.

the work is not actually finished tho, as i'm going to replace the pcie-e cables with red extensions (like the ATX cable) and will most likely also paint along the sides of the graphics card's pcb. or in other words: make the yellow line from the cut pcb edge red.

i23juXx.jpg

3f6ltow.jpg

WFtHMlI.jpg

g1ORxTo.jpg

owYr0vR.jpg

feel free to let me know what you think and stay tuned to this thread if you want the see the two other changes that i described above.

have a nice day :)

Update 1:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/465343-little-work-log-of-painting-my-gpu-shroud/?p=6282086

Update 2:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/465343-little-work-log-of-painting-my-gpu-shroud/?p=6287231

I had considered painting my 290 Tri-X a while back as well. Never did get around to it though.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Nice. Hope to see updates, Followed!

Remember to follow your own topics.

thanks ^^

and oh yeah, thanks xD

I had considered painting my 290 Tri-X a while back as well. Never did get around to it though.

i can encourage you. it went smoothly. i didn't even sand the surface or prime it. as long as you're gonna spray it a darker shade than before, it's straight forward.

i can encourage you. it went smoothly. i didn't even sand the surface or prime it. as long as you're gonna spray it a darker shade than before, it's straight forward.

Well currently it's sitting on my shelf as an ornament as I have a 980ti in my rig now. 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Looks on point mate. Always feels so satisfying when you paint computer parts, because it's more than just picking the right colors...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Very nice red/black Air 540! Should look really good when you finish all the final touches.

Looks on point mate. Always feels so satisfying when you paint computer parts, because it's more than just picking the right colors...

thank you guys ^^ i appreciate it.

Well currently it's sitting on my shelf as an ornament as I have a 980ti in my rig now. 

lol, well yeah. then there's no more need i guess ^^

Update

hi folks, the cable extension i needed has arrived and i painted the edge of the pcb. this part was some pretty delicate work, but i'm happy with the result.

here are some pictures.

8SsJnoT.jpg

toJlcPw.jpg

q8FE0fd.jpg

S7U8YEY.jpg

i will post the final pictures tomorrow, when the paint is dry and i have some daylight to take the pictures.

Wait, did you paint the PCB with the cooler still attached to it? Seems pretty risky to me. It looks awesome tough! I'm on my phone right now, definitely look at the pics again when i get home to get a better look [emoji14]

Wait, did you paint the PCB with the cooler still attached to it? Seems pretty risky to me. It looks awesome tough! I'm on my phone right now, definitely look at the pics again when i get home to get a better look [emoji14]

i did. but i masked the risky areas and i trained beforehand on the old gt9600 i mentioned earlier. i was confident enough in my steady hand ^^

Wow that really makes a huge difference. You now have a truly custom GPU.

thanks mate ^^

Update

So here is the final update.

First of all, i created a little timeline recap of how my system evolved.

If you are interested, you can look at it here:

http://i.imgur.com/caLaUGk.jpg

41Dsrdf.jpg

And now, the final pictures:

nmce9f1.jpg

fe97DEB.jpg

btew5ZZ.jpg

G3j0DGJ.jpg

Thanks for following this thread :)

Best air cooled PC i've seen in a while. :) Only thing I would change is the twist tie on the GPU cables, feels out of place. But I love how even the SSD's and periferals match. Even your lamp matches!

wow, that's a big compliment ^^ thanks buddy. i'll be removing the twist ties later on. they are there so the cables are fixed in this position for a while.

and hopefully stay that way afterwards.

what fan controler is that? i need one with red LEDs!!!

looks awesome! really like how this turned out. the red cables really bring it together, nice work man!

thanks again man ^^