Scratch Build RINZLER by FAT

F.A.T.

Schermafbeelding%202015-09-29%20om%2015.

Hi 

My name is Femke Agnes Toele or as you may know me; F.A.T.
27 years old and I have a passion for casemodding. Lately I’ve been working together with my buddy Tenzin Rongen, we are a great team (FAT - Femke And Tenzin? ). Tenzin is 29 years old and a industrial design student at the university of Rotterdam. He can do and make almost anything!

We are both gold and silversmiths by profession in the Netherlands and have our own businesses. Through out the years we have collected a great deal of tools and materials to work with. In a big workshop we make our designs come to life.

This is a Tron Legacy inspired build, my favorite movie of all time :D!

Below I made a short video of the result because the build is already finished! It had to remain secret until the MSI PRO MOD Season 2 competition started! 
( if you already love it you can vote on the MSI Global FB page :D! if you don't ... maybe the buildlog will change your mind?! :huh: haha )

The design:

1-1_zpsz894omxa.jpg

Using the lasercutter to engrave Rinzler

1-2_zpsjom8yyn1.jpg

Bending the plexiglas base in its shape.

1-5_zpsnguefo4k.jpg

1-6_zpscystzroi.jpg

1-3_zps81r1vxbo.jpg

1-4_zpsmawdirsb.jpg

1-7_zps7mlhp8rg.jpg

The lasercut frame that will hold the motherboard on top of the base

1-8_zpsdgec3t2d.jpg

1-9_zpsnk8xxzc7.jpg

Self adhesive foil I ordered to make the build look like the black suits in the movie ;)

1-16_zps4murmy88.jpg

First time putting the elements together

1-14_zpstvddd3ss.jpg

And ofcourse pixel has to check the quality of everything ;)

1-15_zpshakyosji.jpg

Bits power send a lot of beautiful fittings!

P7156522_zpsvyfto3cv.jpg

Look at this cool name tag :D

1-10_zps1h2lpju7.jpg

1-12_zpsldxap6hw.jpg

1-11_zpssjvefnjz.jpg

1-13_zpspk20lhu7.jpg

The base

1-20_zpsgzadiumi.jpg

1-21_zpssyrfjh7v.jpg

1-18_zpsqymxye98.jpg

1-19_zpso36zhdx1.jpg

nice,gj

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

Wow! That is very cool! 

Cool!! Thank you all so much for the kind comments :D !

Much more 'sexy' coming up ;) !!

I knew this was a Tron build as soon as I read Rinzler. Thats my favorite song from the movie! Also very cool guys!

Yes :D ! Rinzler is also my absolute favorite track on the Tron Legacy Album! I had to use that track in the movie otherwise it would not have been right ;) haha! Thanks!

while(true){  if(newBuildByFAT == true)  {     numberOfAwesomeBuilds++;     instantFollow(true);     printf("Awesome build FAT, keep going!");  }  else  {     RelaodBuildLogPage(true);  }}

Awesome build FAT, keep going!

But seriousely, the RGB thing gets really out of controll.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

while(true){  if(newBuildByFAT == true)  {     numberOfAwesomeBuilds++;     instantFollow(true);     printf("Awesome build FAT, keep going!");  }  else  {     RelaodBuildLogPage(true);  }}

Awesome build FAT, keep going!

But seriousely, the RGB thing gets really out of controll.

Haha thanks Stefan!! That's a very creative comment :D;) !

Yes the RGB Lighting! That was something that had to be involved as we used the MSI GODLIKE motherboard, so now I can use te fancy disco mode when I have a party haha ;)! (always very usefull...?)

So here is the next buildlog update, I will go though these quite quickly so you will see a lot of progress this upcoming week :)!

This is a short video I made of the cutting of the self adhesive foil! A quick test to see if the RGB lights work in real life (not only in my mind.. ;) )

The X99A GODLIKE Gaming motherboard

4-2_zpswuccen7e.jpg

5-2_zpsngv1h6sj.jpg

6-2_zps2pwcv6er.jpg

7-2_zpsq2g4vyak.jpg

8-2_zpsm0ozco8g.jpg

Fans & Poswersupply

9-2_zpsbfb3zmst.jpg

11-2_zpsclyn9gty.jpg

Look at that tiny power supply! Pixel is almost the same size

10-2_zpswy6d5pql.jpg

Graphicscard

12-2_zpsm1nq4iny.jpg

In the design I wanted to add the Identity disks they all wear in the movie.
I was looking for them on the internet but the were crazy expensive!!
Then I found these console rechargers in the shape of the Identity disks!
I figured I could just make them into fancy flashy frisbee like killing devices ;) !

13-2_zpsthyie5li.jpg

14-2_zpsoj3vax7b.jpg

15-2_zpsb8xv4whj.jpg

Here are the Rinzler and GODLIKE name tags again, now to test them I will cover one with self adhesive foil.
Just a test to check if my idea will actually work ;) !

17-2_zpsw7pbtm48.jpg

18-2_zpszgdi92oo.jpg

20-2_zps0jljatb7.jpg

19-2_zpspt0ox4yk.jpg

As you can see "rinzler" lights up pretty good :D !

The SSD & RAM

20-3_zpszbe3hfjy.jpg

The Radiator & Blocks

12-3_zpscz1nhz3x.jpg

13-3_zpsj5cglmul.jpg

19-3_zps13aaggz1.jpg

15-3_zps6z0td60o.jpg

16-3_zpsbam7a5pi.jpg

Fancy tweezers ;)

17-3_zpsv7tltnse.jpg

Testing the hardware

4-4_zpsxcbto6za.jpg

Haha thanks Stefan!! That's a very creative comment :D;) !

Yes the RGB Lighting! That was something that had to be involved as we used the MSI GODLIKE motherboard, so now I can use te fancy disco mode when I have a party haha ;)! (always very usefull...?)

- snip -

Hmmmmm yes, when the hardware is sponsored, we should not criticise it to much, should we? :ph34r:

But since you end up having a lorryload full of LEDs I'm interested in how you controll them. I know the build is allready finished, but nevertheless I have some proposals what you can do with LEDs in the next build.

- Pair them up with a microphone and a filter (can be made in HW or SW) to make them a frquency selective disco ligth. 0-300Hz -> blue, 300Hz - 1kHz -> red, 1kHz - 20 kHz -> green, for example.

- Use cortana to trigger a macro that runns preprogrammed sequences. Like you can say "green" and they turn green.

- Use the LEDs to send Morse codes. Detect them with a phototransistor on the other edge of the build, decode the message with a microcontroller and display the message on a 5x3 cm LCD screen.

- Make the PC case in shape of a big flashlight. Would be a pretty ironical message.

- Let the LEDs flash fast, but let the frequency change randomly for a smal amount. Our brain automaticly tries to detect the frequency of the blinking, you can't do semething to awoid it. But since the frequency changes in a unpredictable pattern, it fails and most of the people get headache and/or very tiered quickly.

- I better stop befor I get even more evil.... B)

From an engineering standpoint of view, implementing RGB LEDs is as difficult as eating rice with chopsticks for a native chinese. Don't know why everybody hypes so much about them nowadays. Nevertheless they match your futuristing build quite well.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Hmmmmm yes, when the hardware is sponsored, we should not criticise it to much, should we? :ph34r:

But since you end up having a lorryload full of LEDs I'm interested in how you controll them. I know the build is allready finished, but nevertheless I have some proposals what you can do with LEDs in the next build.

- Pair them up with a microphone and a filter (can be made in HW or SW) to make them a frquency selective disco ligth. 0-300Hz -> blue, 300Hz - 1kHz -> red, 1kHz - 20 kHz -> green, for example.

- Use cortana to trigger a macro that runns preprogrammed sequences. Like you can say "green" and they turn green.

- Use the LEDs to send Morse codes. Detect them with a phototransistor on the other edge of the build, decode the message with a microcontroller and display the message on a 5x3 cm LCD screen.

- Make the PC case in shape of a big flashlight. Would be a pretty ironical message.

- Let the LEDs flash fast, but let the frequency change randomly for a smal amount. Our brain automaticly tries to detect the frequency of the blinking, you can't do semething to awoid it. But since the frequency changes in a unpredictable pattern, it fails and most of the people get headache and/or very tiered quickly.

- I better stop befor I get even more evil.... B)

From an engineering standpoint of view, implementing RGB LEDs is as difficult as eating rice with chopsticks for a native chinese. Don't know why everybody hypes so much about them nowadays. Nevertheless they match your futuristing build quite well.

Hmm the headache sounds really interesting ;) !

Looks really interesting the things you suggest! Makes me think about the different ways to use the LEDs.

The LED's we used in this build are these:

18-4_zpsmmoguomf.jpg

And We've used a small controller from Aqua computer the Farbwerk. We got it at www.highflow.nl!

Here is the link to the product!

http://www.highflow.nl/modding/leds/led-rgb/aqua-computer-farbwerk-usb-bluetooth-version-53171.html

For Rinzler the key ingredient were the LED's to light up the edges of the plexiglas but its very interesting to experiment a bit with the possibilities! :)

Maybe LEDs responding to temperature changes?!

So another Update!
First thing the Identity Disks

16-2_zpsxl3hzmjg.jpg

Taking them apart

1-3_zpsrfgeifh6.jpg

2-3_zpsbdxcu0ax.jpg

3-3_zpspujg8djm.jpg

4-3_zpsdnn8vc7p.jpg

6-3_zpsbvsasavx.jpg

5-3_zpsr9lsqiy7.jpg

9-3_zpsvgedjqp4.jpg

7-3_zpst11935ag.jpg

8-3_zpswttflsjt.jpg

After

11-3_zpscrhkifgg.jpg

Before

10-3_zpsku0dmnt9.jpg

Fitting the components into the frame

9-4_zps27wqar8c.jpg

10-4_zpsycqwka1v.jpg

5-4_zpsi6tt3iyh.jpg

Even when you use the lasercutter you always have to adjust a lot by hand.

6-4_zps0j06r8mr.jpg

8-4_zpsf6niag5v.jpg

Pixel found his own special job... "re"-placing the LEDs

22-4_zpsy1oxk97c.jpg

RGB LED

19-4_zpsdhwhzzvn.jpg

20-4_zpscgpwidht.jpg

Making some aluminium mounting plates.
Everything will be screwed together so you can take it apart again when ever you want + it looks cool!

5-5_zpsowesitq6.jpg

6-5_zps6cucfab6.jpg

10-5_zps2wuhbbcp.jpg

13-5_zpsvg2gbb5x.jpg

17-5_zpscuhh3btn.jpg

18-5_zpsynps0lft.jpg

19-5_zpswwfapyyb.jpg

The Frame that holds the motherboard and radiator is held in place 

22-5_zpsjqcw5ynu.jpg

21-5_zpskxuyp2ld.jpg

endless adjusting ;)

3-6_zpsm2lkvy5i.jpg

5-6_zpsbguqop6v.jpg

8-6_zpsisurot6u.jpg

9-6_zpsxnrbarif.jpg

12-6_zpseuujh8ja.jpg

15-6_zpsvixrsvch.jpg

16-6_zps8drbhrvo.jpg

17-6_zpsiaixysqv.jpg

20-6_zpsceokoohq.jpg

The radiator in the top frame

7-7_zpstcukpc6a.jpg

8-7_zpssaod6vxe.jpg

10-7_zpscsiaht1u.jpg

11-7_zps0vujgtzl.jpg

13-7_zpscbdzeq4f.jpg

14-7_zpsqg2vpxlt.jpg

15-7_zpslkz05nzu.jpg

16-7_zpsr8nyfjqf.jpg

18-7_zpsmh4m0j1g.jpg

19-7_zpsq9zb0row.jpg

20-7_zpsqx9nz700.jpg

A nice and crystal clear looking build so far ;)!

Looks really interesting the things you suggest! Makes me think about the different ways to use the LEDs.

The LED's we used in this build are these:

18-4_zpsmmoguomf.jpg

And We've used a small controller from Aqua computer the Farbwerk. We got it at www.highflow.nl!

http://www.highflow.nl/modding/leds/led-rgb/aqua-computer-farbwerk-usb-bluetooth-version-53171.html

For Rinzler the key ingredient were the LED's to light up the edges of the plexiglas but its very interesting to experiment a bit with the possibilities! :)

So another Update!

First thing the Identity Disks

Holy mother of snip

A nice and crystal clear looking build so far ;)!

That looks verry nice, subbed for the rest of the build[emoji106]

En dan toch verbaast het me, zoveel mensen die dit doen wonen ver weg.. Maar dan kom je er een uit eigen land tegen die iets geweldigs maakt. Ga zo door[emoji106]

Hi F.A.T.

With the controller you used it is easy to make the LED responsive to temperature. And ther are also CPU waterblocks with LEDs that are also responsive to the temperature to match the build.

But the possibillities are endless, only your imagination is the limit. Personally I use peltier elements as a thermoelectric generator to generate power for the LEDs I use. The hotter the GPU the brighter the LED. And I get light "for free".

If you need help with an elecetronic circuit for a future build you can PM me.

That looks verry nice, subbed for the rest of the build[emoji106]

En dan toch verbaast het me, zoveel mensen die dit doen wonen ver weg.. Maar dan kom je er een uit eigen land tegen die iets geweldigs maakt. Ga zo door[emoji106]

Thanks! Hope you will like the remaining updates as well :) !

Haha zo grappig dat je ineens nederlanders tegenkomt op het forum ;) ! Die zijn ook echt OVERAL :D ! Dankjewel voor het mooie compliment!

Hi F.A.T.

With the controller you used it is easy to make the LED responsive to temperature. And ther are also CPU waterblocks with LEDs that are also responsive to the temperature to match the build.

But the possibillities are endless, only your imagination is the limit. Personally I use peltier elements as a thermoelectric generator to generate power for the LEDs I use. The hotter the GPU the brighter the LED. And I get light "for free".

If you need help with an elecetronic circuit for a future build you can PM me.

Hi Stefan!! :D

I will definitely keep that in mind! Sounds really interesting and i think it look really good when you have a "gimmick" like that :D!

What does your computer look like? Did you mod your case?

Thanks for the advice :) !!

Hi Stefan!! :D

I will definitely keep that in mind! Sounds really interesting and i think it look really good when you have a "gimmick" like that :D!

What does your computer look like? Did you mod your case?

Thanks for the advice :) !!

My computer is a "black box" made of 40kg extruded aluminium heat sinks. It is passive cooled, so the design is dictated by the cooling. But that doesn't mean it has to be awful ;)

I like discreet PCs more than the ones you need sunnglases and headphones when using them, because they are covered with LEDs and super loud. That's why I still prefere FLUX over all your builds, despite all of them are executed with a lot of skill.

I don't post a pictures of my build here, it's your build log. But you find my one here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/351134-finished-the-silent-cube-pushing-passive-cooling-to-the-limit-with-dual-gtx-980-update-17-pictures/

I just finished it yesterday after full 6 month of working on the build and >>100 hours spent.

• 2 weeks later...

My computer is a "black box" made of 40kg extruded aluminium heat sinks. It is passive cooled, so the design is dictated by the cooling. But that doesn't mean it has to be awful ;)

I like discreet PCs more than the ones you need sunnglases and headphones when using them, because they are covered with LEDs and super loud. That's why I still prefere FLUX over all your builds, despite all of them are executed with a lot of skill.

I don't post a pictures of my build here, it's your build log. But you find my one here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/351134-finished-the-silent-cube-pushing-passive-cooling-to-the-limit-with-dual-gtx-980-update-17-pictures/

I just finished it yesterday after full 6 month of working on the build and >>100 hours spent.

Cool! I always like when the design is a result of how something works!

I hadn't checked out your buildlog yet and I love it that it is so detailed!

You can see you put a LOT of effort and work in it!

And on with the buildlog!
Ive made another video about the making of the Identity Disks :)

We've ordered some fancy screws, stainless steel with safety torx! 

2-8_zpsysrwet8y.jpg

1-8_zpsr4y7ilt0.jpg

Attaching the mounting plates to the acrylic.

3-8_zpspgpox4ke.jpg

4-8_zps6876n1m9.jpg

6-8_zpsnoubcxfb.jpg

With angle come, more angles

7-8_zpsfjd6lp3x.jpg

8-8_zpso7loqs9t.jpg

9-8_zpstyzpeyv9.jpg

10-8_zpsxsiin9mg.jpg

Powersupply mounting plate 

12-8_zpsedu4vijb.jpg

14-8_zpsbnfsg79o.jpg

16-8_zpsml4wvjdj.jpg
Test fit!

P9087380_zpsdtpgvlm7.jpg

Small test with the self adhesive foil. love it!

P9087249_zpslv3xsecf.jpg

P9087251_zps2s88f7pi.jpg

P9087252_zpslhyda7s6.jpg

fitting the Pump in the base

P9170050_zps3c8k992g.jpg

P9180065_zpstk1wjphk.jpg

P9180066_zps958b3obk.jpg

New spoiler :)!

P9180072_zps4sscjwtt.jpg

P9180074_zpszxeo2agr.jpg

Here you can see a few bubbles popping up from under the self adhesive foil, but don't worry they are straightened out!

P9180075_zpsy96gozyx.jpg

First white than black, so the sides will look white and light up better with the RGB.

P9180079_zpsnctmcef3.jpg

P9180080_zpsc9wge63l.jpg

Than black

P9180081_zpsloieec9g.jpg
Lots of nuts and bolts ;)

P9190087_zps6dhczpwt.jpg

P9190090_zpsf9ngjg9e.jpg

And the Identity disk!! I loved doing this piece!

P9147349_zps3kuuag7s.jpg

P9147350_zpsxsjhmzko.jpg

P9147352_zpsli4n3tcn.jpg

P9147357_zpsw8jhldcf.jpg

P9147358_zps0xyub6ot.jpg

P9147359_zpswrzrf4l6.jpg

P9180060_zps2w8r1ttq.jpg

P9180062_zpsw5oo3e5q.jpg

P9180068_zpslyjjvfik.jpg

P9190091_zpsdkbuirdo.jpg

P9180069_zps1srty9tf.jpg

P9180071_zpscxhsg0ug.jpg

P9190092_zpsd7hit0j4.jpg

SO here are the final pictures (finally ;) )!
You have probably already seen them in the short movie clip above, but anyway a buildlog has to end with final picture photos (otherwise it isn't a buildlog ;) )

I choose "Tron"blue for these pictures! Ofcourse it is RGB so you could use any colour you would like this particular one fits really well!

IMG_7687%20msi%20logo_zpsz0drzsre.jpg

IMG_7672_zpsqsg0ca5p.jpg

IMG_7665_zpswyls27nt.jpg

IMG_7699_zpsxhslt14z.jpg

And ofcourse Rinzler Orange/Red :)!

IMG_7683%20msi%20logo_zps3byth5wu.jpg

IMG_7671_zpsvubctl7r.jpg

IMG_7664_zpsdjhbeabz.jpg

IMG_7703_zpswmnqnnn6.jpg

and of course switched off

IMG_7641_zpsfcfgg10v.jpg

IMG_7637_zpsjstoomxm.jpg

IMG_7509_zpspreersml.jpg

IMG_7523_zpssgcncuz7.jpg

IMG_7563_zpsocsgpar4.jpg

IMG_7578_zps5s9s2gxf.jpg

IMG_7595_zps1vficxiy.jpg

IMG_7608_zpsksekcscw.jpg

Hope you like the result :) !

Really amazing, great build!

Thanks Necrodead! Glad you like it :D !

Wow, it looks awesome! The full cover waterblock has me drooling... I wish I had a full cover block, but my board is too old...

Thank you! Yes the full cover waterblock is really spectacular, although it covers up most of the motherboard. Well maybe when you update your hardware you can use a full cover block :)

Well it looks more appealing than expected. I like that the ligth is mostly comming from the edge of the acrillic sheets and they are otherwise black.

But I thing the design is highly focused on the looks and less to the useabillity.

How many days it looks nice before you have to clean it from dust again? Two weeks? ;)

And all noice produced by the pump, fans and coils is directly distrubuted into the room. No dampening by the case at all.

I know it's a showcase build so ut's not important, but who is going to use this PC?

Thanks Necrodead! Glad you like it :D !

Thank you! Yes the full cover waterblock is really spectacular, although it covers up most of the motherboard. Well maybe when you update your hardware you can use a full cover block :) ?

Maybe eventually. I have a 6 core sandy bridge i7, and it is an absolute beast on multithreaded workloads. But I usually game. I am thinking about upgrading to a newer cpu, but that costs money.

Well it looks more appealing than expected. I like that the ligth is mostly comming from the edge of the acrillic sheets and they are otherwise black.

But I thing the design is highly focused on the looks and less to the useabillity.

How many days it looks nice before you have to clean it from dust again? Two weeks? ;)

And all noice produced by the pump, fans and coils is directly distrubuted into the room. No dampening by the case at all.

I know it's a showcase build so ut's not important, but who is going to use this PC?

Thanks! Yes I was very thrilled with the final result of the LED showing on the edges of the acrylic!

I agree with you, this is a pure showcase and it is....all about the looks ;) !

If it would be used, it would likely be at a booth on display with loud music playing so no one will hear the pump haha!

I already have my own PC so I still have to decide what to do with this one, maybe I will use it in my new office ;) !

Maybe eventually. I have a 6 core sandy bridge i7, and it is an absolute beast on multithreaded workloads. But I usually game. I am thinking about upgrading to a newer cpu, but that costs money.

Yes I can imagine! It always costs a LOT of money, too bad, it is a very expensive hobby ;)