Box Box Box - Sim Racing Players Club [Now Hype Train Enabled!]

@chaozbandit - So you've had issues with OCing with Crimson as well. Seems to be a thing as I've heard other have had this issue, myself as well. Stuckk running my 290's at stock clocks for PCar, but can't complain with 60-75fps average in MP @ stock depending on how many opponents there are. Racing solo, it easily climbs into the 90's on some tracks. Still kinda sucks, I know my cards can do 10% OC stable, just not in PCars for some reason. :/

Anyways, yeah wait till you drive the 49C. WAAAAY better than the 49. What a huge difference aerodynamics makes on that car. The difference between no grip and something that feels much more modern/predictable. Yet you can still "let her slide" if you want to have fun, but it can be tricky to recover once the tires overheat. Also, dat engine note at 10,000rpm... so good. :D 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

@MEC-777 haha yeah, just a few but it's more or less sorted now - or at least working well enough that I can progress with my planned works until I can supplement another GPU; picking up some more RAM this weekend and maybe a SSD for W10 come boxing week. Basically I ignored the rule for resetting OCs prior to driver updates, and since Crimson is nearly an entirely new software revision, it must have changed the stability of my system. Right now the single 290 is at stock speeds with a conservative memory clock because it's an early model (prior to the Hynix chips) and adjusted fan curve and power settings to handle pCars at 1080p60, with high settings on everything and no AA (temp tops out at 62C). OCd the 8350 to 4.4Ghz stable @ 1.37V, also with temps capped at 66C; overall FPS is 80-90 with up to 24 cars on track, but dips down to 30-40 when I'm recording footage with OBS.

Could just be my OS that is acting up since its an install of W7 from 3 years back, so hopefully the new hardware will help somewhat.

Haha I can't wait - for some reason I was expecting the high-winged version but the one in the game looks so much better! The previous 49 was a handful already, trying to control the power-on oversteer - even with such massive tires haha..Speaking of, here's a video from last night while I was testing settings. Chose one of the lower powered LMP3 cars, which coincidentally you also sit low in this car... and going over the hills at the nordshleiffe, YOU CAN'T SEE ANYTHING. I caught up to you, a bit at least :)

Also @browninja97 - did some very rough testing between the two cars, still editing the videos but rendered this comparison between at least the exterior sound and camera tracking for the models; the pCars clip might be a tad quieter though. Short version: AC R8 lapped ~10 second slower, at default setup, give or take 2 seconds for driver error / track limits.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

NO WAY, projectcars making less sound, never thought this day would come 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Good news for Assetto corsa and Rfactor 2 players(maybe project cars)

the toyota ts040 is coming as free content via URD to assetto corsa in Q1 next year which likely means its will come to rfactor 2 as free content as well. It may also come to project cars depending on some of their experiments and i can almost guarantee it will give SMS's ts040 a run for its money

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

@MEC-777 haha yeah, just a few but it's more or less sorted now - or at least working well enough that I can progress with my planned works until I can supplement another GPU; picking up some more RAM this weekend and maybe a SSD for W10 come boxing week. Basically I ignored the rule for resetting OCs prior to driver updates, and since Crimson is nearly an entirely new software revision, it must have changed the stability of my system. Right now the single 290 is at stock speeds with a conservative memory clock because it's an early model (prior to the Hynix chips) and adjusted fan curve and power settings to handle pCars at 1080p60, with high settings on everything and no AA (temp tops out at 62C). OCd the 8350 to 4.4Ghz stable @ 1.37V, also with temps capped at 66C; overall FPS is 80-90 with up to 24 cars on track, but dips down to 30-40 when I'm recording footage with OBS.

Haha I can't wait - for some reason I was expecting the high-winged version but the one in the game looks so much better! The previous 49 was a handful already, trying to control the power-on oversteer - even with such massive tires haha..Speaking of, here's a video from last night while I was testing settings. Chose one of the lower powered LMP3 cars, which coincidentally you also sit low in this car... and going over the hills at the nordshleiffe, YOU CAN'T SEE ANYTHING. I caught up to you, a bit at least :)

Well, I found out it was the memory OC that wasn't stable on one of my cards (the secondary reference card with Elpida memory). I can OC the core to the moon with no issues at all, but I have to leave the memory stock (1250) when running crossfire. But that's fine because with both cards at 1100 on the core I was seeing almost 100fps at ties in PCars. :D

Haha! You need a booster seat in that car! Can barely see anything when the road is flat, let alone on a hill. lol. And damn, that Quatro 90 I was in really hauled ass off the line (on of the reason I chose it ;) ). Thought for sure you would have caught up and passed me on that run. :D

You can adjust the seating position up a bit, but then you have to remember to put it back down in other cars or you're head will be poking out through the roof. :P

Not sure I follow... What do you mean?

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Not sure I follow... What do you mean?

Pcars has a 20% increase in preamp for the car sounds compared to everything else in game by default, its why some people were complaining about distortion. Im personally not fussed either way but i think they are getting a lot better at doing sounds especially with the newer dlc with the exception of the TS040 which was way off in my opinion.

Listen if you care.

Pcars has a 20% increase in preamp for the car sounds compared to everything else in game by default, its why some people were complaining about distortion. Im personally not fussed either way but i think they are getting a lot better at doing sounds especially with the newer dlc with the exception of the TS040 which was way off in my opinion.

Ah, so they are going to kill the 20% car sound boost? 

I keep PCars master volume at 25% so I can watch/listen to youtube/podcasts/music while racing. PCars is definitely a "loud" game. When nobody's home, I ditch the headset, crank the master and enjoy the musical mechanical bliss though my 2.1 speakers as loud as I want. :P:D

I find assetto has better turbo sounds and just better overall, but PCars sounds are very good as well. Some of the best I've heard. 

Even though it's a console game, the Forza franchise has had the best/most accurate car engine sounds I've ever heard in any game. They were the first to get the VTEC engagement sound correct in the old Honda B-series engines way back in Forza 2. I've played Forza 5 on my friends xboxone and it's pretty much right on as well. Physics aren't bad either. Just don't like having to use a controller. :P 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Forgot to mention that I had been messing around with the sound settings during that recording; in-game master is at 60%, and then windows mixer is at a further 25% so I can mix-in TS for league races. The R8 stuff was recorded right after, pretty much (for reference, it sounds like a less race-y R8 LMS Ultra but you can definitely feel the weight; snap-oversteer that was present in Patch 5.0 seems to have all but disappeared in 6.0).

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

1531984701916584229.pngwmqh2yko1l9gdpoekiay.jpg

Above: The cleanest the #17 Pedace R8 LMS Ultra ever got

Yup, finally getting around to doing the write up! As you probably know, I’ve chosen the Audi R8 LMS Ultra as my weapon of choice and I’ve opted to team up with Zach (aka zip.plummer, who you may have seen online) as my teammate, with both cars running the Pedace #17 and #19 liveries respectively. Both of us are running unique setups and other than the pseudo team-nature, with the points structure and all, everything is relatively independent - although we will develop race strategies and exchange set up information from time to time.

Our first practice session together, linked above, was more of a formal thing more than anything, and we were more focused on preparing for the opening round of the season the following night. This is where I derped, getting the weather and tyre/fuel settings correct but neglecting to set the time progression to x5, though at the time it was more important that we dial in a rain-setup as those would be the conditions in qualifying as well.

Nurburgring GP is a track where front-end grip is crucial to maintaining momentum, thus you need a softer suspension to get good traction and more aero to keep you from sliding. At 30 laps, the race would take over 60 minutes to complete - we knew that we would have to make at least one stop for tires but were debating about when to stop for fuel, and how long we could stint the GT3 Rain compound. I stopped early (L15) and Zach took the longer stint (L22); our findings revealed that the tires can last long enough but heat up drastically as the track dries, with performance dropping after L20, so the timing of the stop will be dependent on when the weather transition point is.

Pace-wise, both of us lapped in the 2m7s - 2m8s range, with the fastest laps for either being a 2m6s - slow in relation to other cars in our tier, but the car was very stable so long as you were patient with the controls, which was pretty confidence inspiring to be honest. Overall the session went pretty well and neither of us had any major incidents, with minor off-tracks here and there; I don’t particularly like the Schumacher esses, but we both agreed that the two 95 kph hairpins and the complex around T1 would be where we would make up time. Found out the hard way that not closing the dialogue box during pit stops WILL occasionally increase your stop by seconds, and if you go in too quickly you will bug out and the AI will crash into the pit wall; there is a chance that the AI will not stop at all and spit you out for another lap.

As Zach put it, “keep it on the black stuff!” Oh boy.

oo42cdilbvgkivujpym8.jpg

Above: Myself (#17) trailing Zach (#19) in the early stages of the race after he pitted for contact.

The moment you start comparing yourself to other teams is when things usually start to go wrong. Zach qualified P12 (2:06.566) and myself P17 (2:07.794) with 3ddi3 taking P1 with a 2:04.202. I didn’t have a particularly clean lap, but that should give you an idea of what the spread is like and just how competitive this field is. You can hear it in the TS at the end of quali, where 3ddi3 says “I’ve been practicing” and everyone else basically goes “Noooo, really?” Hilarious, these guys, but it did lighten the atmosphere going into the warm-up.

Start of the race, and things really begin to hit the fan. Those who play large-lobby pCars will know just how intensive it is on the CPU to render more than 20 cars at any given time, especially at the start. Add to that the rain particles - with the game settings set to high/ultra with AA - and the game becomes especially crippling on AMD hardware, getting at minimum half the frames that a similar NVidia card would be getting. Now feeling less confident about my start, and really just praying that I don’t drop frames and lock the brakes thus plowing into half the field - thankfully I was pretty much at the back of the grid and getting out of the way wouldn’t be that hard of a task.

Anyways, queueing for the lights, lined up beside my friend Dabbo (RUF) and surrounded by a few of the guys from Project Cars Drivers Club (P/C/D/C, no relation to this thread). PSA #1: At the start, NEVER take the center of the track - always better to swing to either side, whichever isn’t the center of the track, as that’s the easiest way to get into a collision, even with the spotter app. Of course, this is providing that the track limits allow it but things happen so quickly that it can still catch you out. Lights go green, I crash into Dabbo and get spit out to the left, losing time as I try to make it back on track. Managed to keep up with the field, with the stuttering I had, and misjudged my braking going into one of the hairpins - again, giving Dabbo a little tap. Heavy on fuel with cold tires, and aero damage now, so already struggling with the car - I’m 3 laps in.

More or less sticking with the pack at this point but losing time because of the damage to the aero - a painful truth I had to accept coming out of the second hairpin and all the way up leading to the chicane; still adjusting to the car but finding it difficult to make up time. Desperately hoping that the few cars ahead of me lose time duking it out for the racing line, and as bad as it sounds, hoping that they spin or go off-track. Actually, IIRC, one Z4 does spin but pretty sure he gets past me at some point. Fast forward a bit, just strategically picking my battles and debating on whether to stop. Cars are spread out to near normal race pace in the bottom half of the grid, with some cars catching up to others from time to time and getting by with the classic over-under. Two drivers leave the race, both resulting from network failure and packet loss. Gathered my composure and settled into a rhythm; slowly catching Sasquatch and Dabbo on L7, though we’ve established ourselves as the back of the grid pretty much. Dabbo spins and loses time, allowing me to catch up and challenge going into L9, though at the end I spin coming out of the chicane and decide to make my first stop (6 laps earlier than I had planned).

PSA #2: You lose enough time as it is repairing potential damage and changing tires, so better to start off with a full tank of fuel than it is to refuel, barring a quick splash to get you to the end. This way, you can place the heaviest load on the slower tires and use the longer stint length to try and undercut other people who are pitting; usually 100L is enough to get you to the end of these hour-long events, so keep that in mind when planning your strategy. Either way, the second half of your stint will always be when the lap times start to stabilize, as the car gets lighter and tires settle.

Come out of the stop just behind Zach, who had stopped to repair damage from contact (note: had this not happened, Zach would have been well within the top 10 and contending for points, but it’s understandable that everyone is a bit anxious). Aero is fixed but car is now heavy again, on the same tires since the start of the race. Now another problem: I’m getting lapped. pCars has a pretty good blue-flag system and the Crew Chief (spotter) app is pretty good at alerting you to positioning as well as other telemetry details, though I wasn’t intentionally setting out to test this -  good to know it works so well, and definitely recommend if you aren’t using it already! Don’t know if there’s an updated sound pack yet but some of the PCDCs have their nicknames in the system.

I’m courteous by now and start letting the front-runners by, though smart enough to do it on the faster sections and tried my best not to hinder their pace in the slower sectors. Trying my best to maintain the draft as they pass, but forget that I’m in dirty air on a wet track and misjudge my braking point, slightly tapping the Z4 in P2 (P3) as we enter the chicane; minor front-end aero damage to my car, again. This is where things continue their downward spiral, and I’m kicking myself as I write this because all the signs are there, and I even acknowledge some of them but don’t act. :(

The transition period. A crucial point in a wet-dry race where the rain starts to let up and the track dries, and when pit stop strategy comes into play. You can see it in the video around L13/L14 where I notice the droplets of rain letting up, but it is still raining in parts of the track. I even go so far as to turn off the wipers to see if it’s still wet, and fail to notice that my lap times are dropping, probably because my pace is all over the place as it is. Trying to push the GT3 rain tires, in hindsight, was a stupid idea and you are honestly better off changing to slicks and using the period to bring them to temp, since the track is drying at a decent rate.

I evidently found out when I spun the car coming into sector 2 at some point and cooked the tires, though the rears were already well over 100C - an understandably bad state for soft compound, rear tires to be in. At this point I knew my race was done and I had to put for a second time to switch to the soft slicks, 3 or so laps later than the rest of the field, and ultimately losing so much time that I had no chance of catching up to the PCDC guys and attempt to challenge for some spots. At the same time, I was equally surprised that I hadn’t spun the car more than once! Well, twice including this one but I was honestly expecting to do worse in the rain. Limping back to the pits now and contemplating just how valuable rain driving experience in this game can be, and it’s a shame that people don’t do it more often in public lobbies.

However, the majority of those run with assists enabled and only in the day, are filled with rammers and casual players, so they’re probably better off for it. Fun and challenging at times, but it’s a game of RNG for the most part.

zp2dknlzyvgdtqbbv3rk.jpg

Above: #17 Audi R8 LMS Flamethrower

Pit stop #2, now on soft slicks and the car feels great - good for fuel to the end and telemetry shows no damage, so I can start pushing. Unfortunately by this point in the race - the last 7 or so laps - everyone is spread out and the gaps are pretty constant. As you can see in the photo above, we were racing into the night (~4PM in game) but the fog made everything a bit hazy - still, the track temp dropped ~12C from start to finish so the tires were starting to go. I was pretty tired by this stage and was just trying to bring her home, and my pace shows as it was all over the place (despite doing a personal best, linked below). Damage limitation to the end, but was pretty disheartened being lapped by some dude in P7 with two (three) laps to go, and felt comfortable enough to drop five seconds a lap to the guy behind. Amazingly, I at least finished P17 - the same position I started - so a small victory, I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qhFpYdGmiw

By now, I’m fairly certain that I can’t push the car, with this setup, faster than 2m around this track, but I am feeling bullish that I’ve found a potential solution. The lap replay above was with the car on GT3-Soft slicks and ~20L of fuel, but is otherwise on-par with my pace in Time Trials. Slow in comparison (~4 seconds off-pace) to the top half of this league, but average compared to other members of the community.

xybtthqlgfgge4akxpyj.jpg

Above: #17 racing into the sunset

All in all very impressed with the organizers and the sportsmanship of the other racers. Keep in mind that this was my first ever competitive event in a league setting, and I may have made mistakes simply because I was overcome with awe, but I’ve learned from this experience and will be taking said lessons with me going forwards. Definitely allotting more time to practice, though I am preparing for final exams at the same time, so hopefully things go smoothly. Being able to maintain a more consistent pace will be the focus of my next practice session, and I will be working to integrate my telemetry and the Crew Chief app into my racing from here on out.

Mentioned this briefly in another post, but following the Crimson driver release I’ve re-done my overclocks and in-game settings, opting for 1080p60 with no AA and everything set to high, in order to optimize frames. No precipitation until Round 3, but I am confident this setup can now handle 24 cars with no issues, while recording via OBS. Round 2 will be at Donington in the night, with the write up coming out tomorrow, but until then enjoy the rest of the photos!

frle6gsvltbhc6aev2bc.jpg

pekxptonr2apll4w1zap.jpg

bretvlfvcnethzwvrt4d.jpg

r2icjrsdunbopiav2eoq.jpg

As many of the members from the Elite tier have done, Mazy has made setups (and competitive ones at that) available publicly for all members to use, for all eligible GT3 cars. Like the case study found on the forums, the brief video walks you through the basics of what to look for and how to understand the set up changes you can make to enhance the drivability of your car, and in a sense how to adapt to different setups. I fully intend on trying out the setup settings shown below, which as far as I can tell just differs in rear suspension, but I can guarantee it will do better than my terrible times at the Ring. Curious as to how it will compare to the other rain races in the future, however.

https://youtu.be/LOP3rmcG5Gw

a48qkzjsdcnv4idu48pg.jpg

wb00qlbqpqeg7irapjlk.jpg

vsio07jfjcndy6spnvqz.jpg

tqbk5upvbbrnts1oels9.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

i got fed up of relying on my brother and bought pcars for myself finally, now and try all this fancy dlc out.

Listen if you care.

lz1ymy8ietvo6grio3xz.png

Click here to return to the main thread.

AOR GT3 Pro | Season 3, Race #2 | Donington Park GP

So remember when I said I was going to post this Monday? Yeah, I lied, because I was busy doing the write up for the CRC Rally of the Tall Pines! Check it out here if you missed it: http://oppositelock.kinja.com/crc-2015-rally-of-the-tall-pines-photodump-1745442157

Track Preview

Everyone will have a different way of going at this, but I've found a decent "standardized" process for myself. Basically I take my Caterham SP/300.R, with it's base tune and use it to fine-tune my driving both on- and off-line as a prep exercise going into the race. Not only does this give you a slight heads-up as to how to manage traffic, but lessons learned from driving a LMP3 car can also be applied in a similar fashion to your GT3 car (in this case, my Audi R8 LMS Ultra).

This race has me particularly concerned, mostly because I haven't driven the track for years (the days of Shift 2) and have more or less completely forgotten the layout. After dumping a few hours into the track mere days before the race, I can say I'm somewhat ready for the upcoming event. In the daytime, this track is all about maintaining your momentum while going through the sequence of esses leading up to the chicane, whilst balancing the amount of aero you have versus the amount of aero push / understeer in the slower corners, particularly the right-hander leading into the straight. Without ABS, you really have to nail your braking points early enough to keep the front end under control but be mindful of where the bumps are and don't get it too late, or you'll send the rear end around and lose countless positions while you try to get out of the dirt. At the same time, you'll want enough aero to keep the rear end planted and the front end pointy but not so much that you carry excessive speed, have a hard time braking, and go straight off track.

Having so many right-hand corners, Donington Park places a huge load on the right left, so push the most in the first half of your stint and manage wear in the later half; the brakes also get hot around the same time as the tires, so shift the brake balance around to manage temperatures if possible. The majority of the racing line is very narrow, leaving little room for passing, and involves a lot of blind apexes - while you can attack the curbing in some complexes, taking too much will risk a cut-track so be weary of where you can make up time and where it wouldn't be worth it because your tires would have less grip. In the night time, your reference points become key (sort of like a co-driver in stage rally). Provided nobody takes out the brake markers, you can use the distances and pCars promo boards in the grass as your turn-in points because they reflect a huge amount of light in the dark. Memorizing the line in the day will allow you to better know when you can turn in, particularly in sector 1, and you can then use the throttle to adjust your line. Again, it will be dark so trying to keep the car on the track will be priority #1 over sheer pace. 

Was lapping consistently in the 1m 26s range with the SP/300.R. Drivers in the Elite tier are reporting times of 1m26s to 1m28s, and the expected pace of the Pro tier is 1m29s to 1m32s.

Weather & Strategy Preview

Just when I thought I could get a break with a dry-weather race, bam turns out it's also a night race. I suppose it's for the better of the players since rain would just make this twisting track even more treacherous as it'd be extremely easy for players to just continuously slide off the hills in the braking zones. But still, night racing - where the biggest challenge is visibility, and it's made worse on a track like Donington where most of the apexes are blind. Speaking of night, the race starts at 9PM in-game, is overcast, and is simulated for 5 hours, meaning that the track will only get colder as we progress into the darkness. This means getting a good start is crucial, because your tires would be cold for the first few laps - a particular issue when you're carrying a full fuel load (~95L for this race) so you'll be sliding around as you're in all the dirty air and trying not to crash in the pack.

As for strategies, it's another instance of trying to keep the tires clean and cool - not sliding around too much while keeping it out of the dirt, which would be an easy way to induce a spin-out. Being a night race, drop the tires to keep the heat up as the ambient continues to drop; make sure not to go too far, as the RL gets extremely hot and the FR is the coldest of all the four corners. Ideally, keep your tires in that 95-100C sweet spot and try to balance the corners with the FL/RR tires as best you can. Soft slicks are the compound of choice, with the pit stop window opening around L20-L25; try to stretch out this first stint as long as you can because you will be experiencing increased wear due to the fuel. Some sectors are quite bumpy so the suspension has been softened a tad and I've given the car a bit of aero in the rear to maintain good traction through the first sector and reduce a bit of understeer in the third sector. 

Just a note from Yorkie065, aka that project cars guy

So a couple of things I want to highlight for this race tonight:

1- Headlights: Use them! Map a button please and if you do end up taking damage to the front of the car, and your headlights aren't working, please go into the pits to repair. There might be a case where for yourself, your headlights are working fine but for others, your headlights aren't showing. The mirrors of cars have little visibility at night and people rely on them a lot, so if someone calls out that you have a headlight or both headlights missing, please be a gentleman and pit to get them repaired as it's impossible for them to see you in the mirror without headlights and it's only going to be very costly for both drivers if theres a collision. It's scary enough that when a driver does have working headlights, that they get so close the cockpit goes dark again. It being dark with a driver anywhere between 3 seconds to 0.005 seconds behind would just be god damn awful.

2- Request Pit Button: Please map it to a button on your wheel or keyboard and if you need or plan on going into the pits, please use it. A number of drivers last race encountered a bug with their pit box being occupied. If you press it and request a pitstop on the lap you are planning to pit, especially in the first half of that lap, the pitcrew will warn you if your box is occupied or not. If it is, go round again and wait for it to become empty to avoid any issues.

3- Brake Marker Boards & Bollards: (something that @Viceguy highlighted after the social last night) Please please please avoid taking these out. They are key references for a lot of drivers with braking points, turn in points, apex's etc, and with it being so dark due to no track spot lights, it's difficult to drive without them, made even worse when you are following and battling other drivers. Most of them are just far enough off track anyway that if you are hitting and taking them out, you are going beyond the track limits which is against the league rules as you should be keeping 2 wheels within the white lines at all times.

Otherwise lets keep the racing fair and clean, and good luck to you all for tonights race! :)

Edit: And definitely no flashing of headlights unless you are lapping a car. It's hugely distracting and also against the league rules! You will be punished if caught doing it to a driver you're racing, more so if it causes an incident!

Also just thought of something worth noting which was sparked by someone mentioning people rejoining the track; it would be a good idea to have a simple call out like: 'leaving pits' as you approach the pit exit from the pit lane. Do it about a second or two before you come off the limiter to help warn any driver coming down the start finish that there will be a car appearing in their braking zone and gives them a little bit of time to adjust their line. You have about a second to spot a car leaving the pitlane and adjust when you're coming down the straight, and it comes right out onto the racing line in a braking zone so moving out the way of a slow car is very difficult. Couple that with 2 drivers side by side doing 150mph into turn 1 with a car coming out of the pitlane at 70....yeah, you don't want a 3 way gravel party especially when one of those may have just had a load of damage fixed.

Championship Standings & Update

sczxeldxuh5yahjx4rkk.png

After our dismal performance at the Nurburgring in Round 1, we are really hurting for points coming into Donington Park. Finishing P13 and P16, we collected a mere 5 points for American Audi Sport of Canada (AASC) and are hoping the conditions will favour our R8s as they are pretty nimble in the twisty stuff and the straights are pretty short. As aforementioned, tire and temperature management are key as well as maintaining a good pace against the mid-pack; the R8 does pretty well in keeping the rears warm given the engine placement, something crucial for getting good traction here. Expecting to be within 3 seconds of the front runners here.

e9jgkxnmosdi7enxwxns.png

Race Recap & Video

Now live!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/460773-box-box-box-project-cars-assetto-corsa-players-club-now-dirt-nfs-rfactor-friendly/?p=6683928

Folding@Home | BOINC

so are they removing it or?

The sound in pCars was rather dissapointing to me after they hyped up how good the sound was supposed to be. Some cars are better than others, but still not as good as it can be.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

C4287ZW-NNHULLG-N5AKT5J-USYVBW2

GT-legends key if you guys want it(its a bloody awesome sim)

Listen if you care.

C4287ZW-NNHULLG-N5AKT5J-USYVBW2

GT-legends key if you guys want it(its a bloody awesome sim)

i got it! going to check it out after dinner :D

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Race driver Grid anyone

2K9F0-KGPWI-N56A3

Listen if you care.

Race driver Grid anyone

2K9F0-KGPWI-N56A3

Already have the game in my library, but can definitely say the le mans races were fun in this one! Still an arcadey game but decent car selection.

Code is still available.

Currently rendering the latest AOR race. Things didn't go so well.

Folding@Home | BOINC

I dont have that game but I already redeemed one so i rather others (who perhaps have less than me) share it. Otherwise, pm me later @brownninja97 if no one redeems it

Spoiler

Already have the game in my library, but can definitely say the le mans races were fun in this one! Still an arcadey game but decent car selection.

Code is still available.

Currently rendering the latest AOR race. Things didn't go so well.

when i was a wee lad(two years ago) before i had a wheel i got it, those le mans races were awesome, i remember the final lap music, man was that intense. Sadly my final memory was one of horror. i had just unlocked the R8 and was at le mans, neck and neck with a oreca flm09(cant remember the lmp1 name for it i think its the courage 09 or something). 

Anyways us two are bolting it down the long straight, past the first chicane i take the lead out of the corner but the oreca gets the slip stream, i try to defend but its futile he passes me, i accidentally mess up the braking into the second chicane and he gains a bit of distance, thankfully im still in his slipstream, by the end of the mulsanne im right by his bumper, we brake in sync but i hit the accelerator just a fraction earlier and gain the advantage out of the corner, the music blasting in my ears, my controller strippy from the intense summer heat, it was all out war. Down into indy i had the advantage and luckily i went in and out safety and same with arnage. Somehow the oreca catches up and as we enter the porsche curves we are neck and neck and the music is reaching its climax. Disaster strikes though, through into the first curve its fine however i had expected the oreca to slow down but as i go for the left hand apex my back end loses grip, im in shock, i dont know what has happened, im spinning at 170mph bloody mph, the oreca has spun me out. All this racing, my whole career, all the button mashing, all the janky tuterials to get the dlc to work, it all flashed before my eyes, in a single fraction of a second, everything i had worked towards was taken away, i smash rear first into the concrete wall(same place that the corvette did in le mans with the throttle issue) and its over. Im alive but in shock, i watch in horror as my rivals that i worked so hard to overtake just blow right past me. The judges didnt wave a yellow flag, there was no music, the engine however refused to die, even with the car in a state of disarray. With all my power i get the car back on the road, only ot be passed by the car that started it all, the porsche 911 GT2, the car that i began this conquest with. I never did make it to the end of that race. 

Listen if you care.

when i was a wee lad(two years ago) before i had a wheel i got it, those le mans races were awesome, i remember the final lap music, man was that intense. Sadly my final memory was one of horror. i had just unlocked the R8 and was at le mans, neck and neck with a oreca flm09(cant remember the lmp1 name for it i think its the courage 09 or something). 

Anyways us two are bolting it down the long straight, past the first chicane i take the lead out of the corner but the oreca gets the slip stream, i try to defend but its futile he passes me, i accidentally mess up the braking into the second chicane and he gains a bit of distance, thankfully im still in his slipstream, by the end of the mulsanne im right by his bumper, we brake in sync but i hit the accelerator just a fraction earlier and gain the advantage out of the corner, the music blasting in my ears, my controller strippy from the intense summer heat, it was all out war. Down into indy i had the advantage and luckily i went in and out safety and same with arnage. Somehow the oreca catches up and as we enter the porsche curves we are neck and neck and the music is reaching its climax. Disaster strikes though, through into the first curve its fine however i had expected the oreca to slow down but as i go for the left hand apex my back end loses grip, im in shock, i dont know what has happened, im spinning at 170mph bloody mph, the oreca has spun me out. All this racing, my whole career, all the button mashing, all the janky tuterials to get the dlc to work, it all flashed before my eyes, in a single fraction of a second, everything i had worked towards was taken away, i smash rear first into the concrete wall(same place that the corvette did in le mans with the throttle issue) and its over. Im alive but in shock, i watch in horror as my rivals that i worked so hard to overtake just blow right past me. The judges didnt wave a yellow flag, there was no music, the engine however refused to die, even with the car in a state of disarray. With all my power i get the car back on the road, only ot be passed by the car that started it all, the porsche 911 GT2, the car that i began this conquest with. I never did make it to the end of that race. 

Sounds like a blast! I can't say I have the same memories of that career-ending Le Mans race other than it being my first exposure to real night racing with no illumination and at the same time the sheer speed of the old LMP900 machinery. Was this in SP or MP? I can't even remember if there was online for that haha, I moved to Grid 2 pretty quickly afterwards.

Anyways like last race, here's the first 5 laps of Round 2. This is by far the event I was least looking forward to thus far, and going into it I knew my 1m31s pace was going to struggle to get me anywhere higher than top 12. Qualified a dismal P20 of P24 but a rocket start (thankfully not a jump) got me up to P12, when Flo nudged me and sent my car into the dirt, which dropped me back to P18 where I would later finish. (Flo did the exact same maneuver to my teammate, Zach, the week before which stopped him from challenging for a top 10 position) I was a bit disappointed, but wrote it off as a normal racing incident because the start was always going to be a mess, but sine I didn't set the car up and damaged the car (six points of aero damage in this clip), I really struggled to make any progress. I was feeling confident at the 1/4 way point leading up to my pit stop that I could maintain a P15 pace but then stuff started to go wrong. 

What it boiled down to was just me losing focus and going off-track every other lap because of all the blue flags, and just generally losing where I was because I was trying to do a lap as a single car whilst looking behind for the guys on the lead lap. At least I didn't spin the car at all, so it's a plus? The second stint didn't go so well either, as I pretty much threw away my P15/P16 through just sloppy racecraft, which pretty much ruined our team's chances of closing the points gap. It's pretty embarassing when your teammate laps you at the half distance point...

BUT IT'S K, I BEAT DABBO WOOOO.

Folding@Home | BOINC

Ok wow GT legends is a fun game lol

Surprising how good the physics and graphics are for such an old game, I mean it's better than Simraceway xD

Spoiler

http://the100bulletsleague.com/pages/news-article-long-004.html

^^ 100 bullets league registration is open for season 2, details above.

I came in 5th(out of 23) for the first season, which sounds like I did amazing but I did not. I missed at least 4 races and lots of the other people missed more than me lol. Was just hard for people to be there I guess. I basically only got my position for showing up 70% of the time haha

Spoiler

http://the100bulletsleague.com/pages/news-article-long-004.html

^^ 100 bullets league registration is open for season 2, details above.

I came in 5th(out of 23) for the first season, which sounds like I did amazing but I did not. I missed at least 4 races and lots of the other people missed more than me lol. Was just hard for people to be there I guess. I basically only got my position for showing up 70% of the time haha

Awesome! I assume it's US based? Already liking the schedule so far, and the league format is very similar to the AOR GT3 format, looking forward to it. Though with only one skill level, I don't imagine I'll do very well haha already struggling in AOR, but I'm 99% sure I'm the youngest driver in my tier. Not that I'm trying to be a Verstappen or anything...

Going to sign up since I assume its first come first serve. @MEC-777 it's on Sundays and there doesnt seem to be a full-season commitment requirement, so try and make the deadline!

Also liking the calendar of 100BL so far.. mainly because of the track selection (minus BRNO) and the lack of weather/night racing LOL No issues with the 1hr+ driving time since that's what I'm used to by now. Tried to sign up but the damn captcha limit...

Comparison of the two calendars:

100BL:

vh6dskwhepzs9a54in1w.png

AOR

1531479835977718674.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

@chaozbandit they did weather/nighttime in the previous season. To my dismay they did it randomly -- they made it so you couldn't plan for it. 

Most of the time it was sunny morning or afternoon racing though.

I just resubmitted my Semi-Pro division signup. Hope I can make all the races this time lol

Spoiler

Awesome! I assume it's US based? Already liking the schedule so far, and the league format is very similar to the AOR GT3 format, looking forward to it. Though with only one skill level, I don't imagine I'll do very well haha already struggling in AOR, but I'm 99% sure I'm the youngest driver in my tier. Not that I'm trying to be a Verstappen or anything...

Going to sign up since I assume its first come first serve. @MEC-777 it's on Sundays and there doesnt seem to be a full-season commitment requirement, so try and make the deadline!

Also liking the calendar of 100BL so far.. mainly because of the track selection (minus BRNO) and the lack of weather/night racing LOL No issues with the 1hr+ driving time since that's what I'm used to by now. Tried to sign up but the damn captcha limit...

Cool. What time on Sundays? I checked the site and forum post but couldn't find the times anywhere... 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Cool. What time on Sundays? I checked the site and forum post but couldn't find the times anywhere... 

Not sure, but the calendar is slightly changed from last season so details to come. Time trials start in January after all... 

Folding@Home | BOINC