School: Benchmark Testing

PlayStation 2

Well, I wasn't lying about the title.

So our school system gives out these computer tests called benchmark tests every end of the grading period (9 weeks). Most if not all of the time they focus on two or three things instead of being a bit broader with what we learned. And that's what gets me, the fact that they aren't broad on it. That and they tend to be pretty damn poorly planned out.

IMO I think they're fucking pointless since not only is it easy as hell to cheat on them (I never have or will cheat on a test) but they never really know what they want to test you on.

Your thoughts? Does your school system do something like this?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Wait till you get to college (if you're not there already).

You'll be rolling your eyes so hard at how they test you.

No, but we have MCAS, which is standardized testing, but the math section is at least a year or two behind what we actually learned. That sucks doe. If you guys have student office, you can always bring it up there.

How do they do it in college?

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Pop Quizzes, Midterms, and Finals with the occasional paper.

Woo I can feel the debt. 

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

Hey!, I like the way testing works....and grading in general. I really like spending 30+ hours working on some code for CS only to have the output be slightly different than what they asked for (and unsure of what I did wrong, and unable to get help from TAs because no one is going to look over a few hundred lines) and end up getting a 0. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Hey!, I like the way testing works....and grading in general. I really like spending 30+ hours working on some code for CS only to have the output be slightly different than what they asked for (and unsure of what I did wrong, and unable to get help from TAs because no one is going to look over a few hundred lines) and end up getting a 0. 

tfw open parenthesis

Shipping sucks

Never heard of anything like that, at least here in the UK

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Never had these when I went to school, But I don't know if they have them here. I also don't know if it's due to the State Board of education. If so, they probably do it here where I live as I live in the same state as you Dan. But if it's due to the local board of education. Then probably not.

^SO MUCH THIS

The testing and assignments are so much crap

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Print your views out on a tee shirt and wear it....see how it turns out......let the stupid school do their shit and just do your work and leave.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Yup, and hes 15 so he's a niner

At mine specifically, they'll just copy and paste or use questions/problems from standardized curriculum.

Sounds normal?

• Not when the class lasts a third of the year and you're having to take in so much information and memorize it, not knowing what's going to be on the test at the end of the semester. They'll sometimes give you a study guide if they're a cool instructor, but if you don't get one, may God have mercy on your sanity.
  • Not when the questions are poorly worded and you have no idea what the fuck the answer could be, especially for the fill-in-the-blank questions/problems.
  • Not when your instructor expects you to know stuff from the beginning of the semester that has little to no use of being memorized.

I've nearly broken my desk because the at-home math work I had to do last semester, from being so frustrated with the quizes. Luckily I passed the class with a C. Fuck math.

Here in VA when I was in school they started with "SOLs" Standards of learning tests. which were a joke to be honest.

What sucked is the tests often had things that weren't even in our text books and we'd be expected to still know it.

I don't know if they still do it, but I thought it was dumb then.  The very first time they rolled them out was a trial run so everyone was told regardless of their score it wouldn't affect their grades as it wasn't being counted.  Everyone finished in record time lol

No, but we have MCAS, which is standardized testing, but the math section is at least a year or two behind what we actually learned. That sucks doe. If you guys have student office, you can always bring it up there.

Oh, hey Massachusetts bro. Our great state sure is swell, isn't it? kill me.

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

This, it feels like every week there is a test or two, never have I thought I would dislike tests as much as I do now. 

Oh, hey Massachusetts bro. Our great state sure is swell, isn't it? kill me.

We're better than all the other states bc this is where the Revolutionary War started which led to America's independence, which means that even with our sometimes retarded town name spellings we're still bomb.

Also, people complain that we suck at driving when in reality we have the lowest crash rates and lowest fatality per crash rates of any states. Must be because we're idiots together.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

We're better than all the other states bc this is where the Revolutionary War started which led to America's independence, which means that even with our sometimes retarded town name spellings we're still bomb.

Also, people complain that we suck at driving when in reality we have the lowest crash rates and lowest fatality per crash rates of any states. Must be because we're idiots together.

They don't call us Taxachusetts for nothing. You'll learn that once you get a half-decent job lad  ;)