How much data does twitch app use on mobile devices

How much data does the twitch app use while streaming in an hour? I currently have a 4gb data plan. and which quality setting would be best for this plan.

Mobile quality is the lowest consumer, but the quality is shit, to say the least.

Streaming to phone will eat that 4GB fast. Real fast.

Streamed ESL Cologne to my phone at the office and it ate through my 50GB plan easily in about a week. High quality though

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Mobile quality is the lowest consumer, but the quality is shit, to say the least.

Streaming to phone will eat that 4GB fast. Real fast.

Streamed ESL Cologne to my phone at the office and it ate through my 50GB plan easily in about a week. High quality though

Well i am going to use in the bus for 45 minutes to watch league of legends worlds until i get home. I dont need the highest quality though.

How much data does the twitch app use while streaming in an hour? I currently have a 4gb data plan. and which quality setting would be best for this plan.

You're asking this like it is a set ammount.  it all depends on how much you watch it and at what quality level.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

It really depends on the bitrate. Source quality with the highest bitrate of 3500kbps (average of 3000-4000kbps) will probably go through your data limit pretty quickly. 

You're asking this like it is a set ammount.  it all depends on how much you watch it and at what quality level.

Well i am going to use it when im going home from work for 45 minutes for some days and im wondering what quality setting that is going to last through my 4gb plan.

I used roughly 1.2 gigabytes of data every hour tethering off my phone watching Twitch at source quality on a laptop. I know this answer isn't ideal but hopefully this gives you an idea of how much data live streaming eats.

Even watching on a mobile device at a lower bitrate will munch through 4gb.

I used roughly 1.2 gigabytes of data every hour tethering off my phone watching Twitch at source quality on a laptop. I know this answer isn't ideal but hopefully this gives you an idea of how much data live streaming eats.

Even watching on a mobile device at a lower bitrate will munch through 4gb.

i just tested which quality is ok for me and low quality is fine, but i wonder how much data it will use on low.

i just tested which quality is ok for me and low quality is fine, but i wonder how much data it will use on low.

I don't know how Twitch compresses bitrate for different qualities. You're best off testing for yourself by writing down how much data you initial had, stream ~45min of whatever stream and quality you will watch, and write down how much data you have left. I believe Android has a data tracking tool built in and for iPhone you could check with your carrier app.

simo292a, on 29 Sept 2015 - 04:14 AM, said:

It depends on the video.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE