AMD equivalents of Nvidia cards

I'm starting on a custom build soon, and I've been planning on going the Nvidia root as opposed to the AMD Radeon line. I recently realised that, if I want to upgrade to two graphics cards in the future, only the more expensive motherboards support SLI, due to Nvidia's licensing thing-majig, whereas pretty much any moba with a couple of PCIe slots supports crossfire. I have therefore decided to instead use an AMD graphics card, especially since many new games are optimised equally well for both. I don't know a ton about cards, and I'm very new to the AMD range.

My question to you brilliant and friendly folk at Linus Tech Tips is what would the AMD equivalent be of a GTX 960 2gb be? If any major jargon is used, please provide an analogy or simplification.

Thank you in advance!

The R9 380 2GB. It is better than the 960 in terms of performance, and costs the same! :D

R9 380 is around the same price of a GTX 960 2G and better because it has 4GB of ram and wider bit bus.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202149&cm_re=R9_380-_-14-202-149-_-Product

It'll play better at textures and mods.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

GTX 960 =< R9 380

GTX 970 =< R9 390

GTX 980 => R9 390X

R9 Fury

GTX 980ti => R9 Fury X

The R9 380 2GB. It is better than the 960 in terms of performance, and costs the same! :D

R9 380 is around the same price of a GTX 960 2G and better because it has 4GB of ram and wider bit bus.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202149&cm_re=R9_380-_-14-202-149-_-Product

Is it a big difference compared to the GTX 960?

Is it a big difference compared to the GTX 960?

If you don't want some games stuttering with maxed out textures, then yeah.

I have 960 2g. I regret it for that reason. You'll also higher frame rates.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

As stated previously, I don't know a ton about g cards, but I'm fairly that the 960 has a higher clock speed, as well as 3 display ports. Do these factors matter? Another question is around drivers and game optimisations. Apparently some people have nightmares trying to get games to run well. One last question is around DX 12 support. Will they both have it?

As stated previously, I don't know a ton about g cards, but I'm fairly that the 960 has a higher clock speed, as well as 3 display ports. Do these factors matter? Another question is around drivers and game optimisations. Apparently some people have nightmares trying to get games to run well. One last question is around DX 12 support. Will they both have it?

Clock speed doesent mean anything unless you compare two of the same cards only. Different architectures allow different clock speeds. Clock speed is only how many cycles per second there is but doesent tell you how much operations is done in once cycle so 500MHz with 2 operations per cycle will be the same (in theory) as 1000MHz with 1 operation per cycle.

Same reason why AMD best FX CPU that is at 5.0GHz is still a lot slower than Intel i5 at 3.4GHz (in single threaded performance).

r9 380 is the good one :D tbh you cant really compare the 980ti with the fury x due to HBM. Both cards are great. I like nvidia more because better drivers over the years. So no fanboy i looked at all options. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

Clock speed doesent mean anything unless you compare two of the same cards only. Different architectures allow different clock speeds. Clock speed is only how many cycles per second there is but doesent tell you how much operations is done in once cycle so 500MHz with 2 operations per cycle will be the same (in theory) as 1000MHz with 1 operation per cycle.

Same reason why AMD best FX CPU that is at 5.0GHz is still a lot slower than Intel i5 at 3.4GHz (in single threaded performance).

Thanks mate, that answers my question. Would you be able to tell me how many operations each respective GPU completes per cycle?

I'm starting on a custom build soon, and I've been planning on going the Nvidia root as opposed to the AMD Radeon line. I recently realised that, if I want to upgrade to two graphics cards in the future, only the more expensive motherboards support SLI, due to Nvidia's licensing thing-majig, whereas pretty much any moba with a couple of PCIe slots supports crossfire. I have therefore decided to instead use an AMD graphics card, especially since many new games are optimised equally well for both. I don't know a ton about cards, and I'm very new to the AMD range.

My question to you brilliant and friendly folk at Linus Tech Tips is what would the AMD equivalent be of a GTX 960 2gb be? If any major jargon is used, please provide an analogy or simplification.

Thank you in advance!

This will hurt some peoples feelings/opinion but here you go.

http://www.overclock.net/t/502403/graphics-card-ranking

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

Thanks mate, that answers my question. Would you be able to tell me how many operations each respective GPU completes per cycle?

Nope. I have no idea. But that was just example there is a lot more going on than just operations per cycle so you have to factor in a lot of things. Just look at how each GPU performs in games and decide based on price/performance.