PC is no longer the no.1 gaming platform for children

Bouzoo

According to NPD Group's report about "Kids and gaming 2015", PC is no longer the number 1 gaming platform for children between the age of 2 and 17.

While 45% percent of them are still playing games on PC, 63% are playing on mobile devices which has taken the lead as the most used platform. In comparison, that is a 22% decline from 2013 for PC.

“The largest and most surprising shift in the 2015 gaming ecosystem was kids’ move away from the computer,” said Liam Callahan, industry analyst, The NPD Group. “In the past, the computer was considered the entry point for gaming for most kids, but the game has changed now that mobile has moved into that position.  This may be related to a change in the behavior of parents that are likely utilizing mobile devices for tasks that were once reserved for computers.”

When asked about time spent on their gaming devices now compared to a year ago, many similar patterns emerge. Mobile devices continue to gain ground with 41 percent saying that they are spending more time on these devices than a year ago, and the average time spent per week climbing to 6 hours.

And it's not only on PC, devices such as Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita have also seen a decline in popularity. However, eight generation consoles are showing an increase. 

Since the gaming on mobile devices has seen an increase, the spendings are increasing as well.

The NPD's report also included numbers about how much money children are spending on games. For physical games, kids reported spending around $27 over the past three months. By comparison, they spent about $13 over the same period on digital games, an increase of about $5 on average. In terms of gender, across all categories, boys spent an average of $54, while girls spent about $36.

Finally, the study sheds some light on microtransaction spending. Two out of every 10 gamers reported that they are spending more on games and microtransactions than they did a year ago.

This definitely shows why more and more studios are focusing on mobile devices instead on other platforms. Since gaming on mobile devices is increasing (I know many are saying there is no such thing as gaming on mobile devices), I hope we can at least get some quality games. I play some games from time to time, but that's only sometimes on the go, and the number of quality titles is really, really small, so I'm not really interested in that.

Source

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

yeah, people playing for hours a day on a cellphone.

No

There are online games for smartphones so yes. They are.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Holy shit, I'm 14 and I don't even own a phone.

#PCMASTERRACE

#PHONESARETRASHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

#60FPS4KYOURPHONEISLIKETINY

TheGrim123321

CPU: I3-4170Cooler: Hyper TX3Mobo:Biostar B85MGMemory: G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4GBStorage: Barracuda 500GBGPU: Zotac GTX660Case: Fractal 1100PSU: Evga 500WMonitors: FHX2153L 21.5"│V193WEJb 19"Keyboard/Mouse: CMStorm DevastorAudio: MonoPrice 8323Microphone: BlueYeti BlackoutOS: MSX(Win10) Quote me or @TheGrim123321 to get my attention.

There was a WoW clone or something of that sort. When I tried it, it felt horrible. I can't understand how can anybody play games like this on a mobile phone.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Not so long ago people laughed at the idea of a console and look what happened. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

There was a WoW clone or something of that sort. When I tried it, it felt horrible. I can't understand how can anybody play games like this on a mobile phone.

I was interested in how MMO's work on phones and tried Order & Chaos Online and it was better that I expected (I think it's the most played MMORPG but I may be wrong). With that I mean I was able to play it for few hours before deleting it. And I know few people that actually like stuff like that on phones.

Ask yourself this. How cheap are phones compared to a half decent PC or those things (Pisspoor/Xbone) used by console peasants (if you use anything older or a Wii, your not a peasant)?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Now that is just sad.

• First of all the games on mobile phones are generally trash and full of microtransactions without which you have no chance to compete against others(for me that is a way to make scamming people legal!!!)
  • Than there is an issue of a small screen. Even if you own a 6" device like me it is still too small to be playing games and enjoy it
  • There is no way on god's green earth that there is any game on a mobile device that anyone could enjoy more that a nice FPS shooter, RPG, MMO,... on a PC or a console, on a big monitor...just no way in hell
  • Also staring in that small screen for a longer periods of time makes your eyes hurt.

Never, ever am I moving on a mobile phone for gaming or any similar device!!!!! Big Screen FTW :)

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850

I really thing we needs mobile gaming to be seen as a separate kind of gaming, otherwise I'm gonna start to demand they include people playing cards, darts etc as gaming as well, because there completely different

I'll never forget the disney games I used to play when I was about 3 years old. I remember my mum showing me how to put the CD in and run the game. I basically learnt how to read just from those games.

As a side note, does anyone know the percentage of PC gamers for all age groups compared to other platforms?

What? 45% PC, 63% Phone =/= 100%

I can maybe see where it is coming from if it is 45% pc, 63% mobile, and then some of them in this thing is both, but still a dank weird way to do percentages. 

Meh, phone games is the way forward... for children. My cousin(s) (ranging from 6-12 years old) do nothing but sit on their tablets and phones, even at birthdays. They meet up, say hello, quickly eat a bun and a muffin, race into the living room to play for the rest of the day.

I just find it funny they don't say x% pc, y% mobile device, z% mixed

Stop quoting this message, explained it better in the quote.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

I can maybe see where it is coming from if it is 45% pc, 63% mobile, and then some of them in this thing is both, but still a dank weird way to do percentages. 

Why? 63% out of 100% are playing of mobile devices while 45% are playing on PC. Some play on both, some on one platform. That is quite normal way of doing percentages in lots of things.

Holy shit, I'm 14 and I don't even own a phone.

#PCMASTERRACE

#PHONESARETRASHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

#60FPS4KYOURPHONEISLIKETINY

how do your parents let you out of the house without a phone, lol

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Why? 63% out of 100% are playing of mobile devices while 45% are playing on PC. Some play on both, some on one platform. That is quite normal way of doing percentages in lots of things.

I just find it funny they don't say x% pc, y% mobile device, z% mixed

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

how do your parents let you out of the house without a phone, lol

First. The only time I leave my house is to go to school on a bus.

Second. I live in a town of a 1,000 people. If I were to get lost or mugged, it wouldn't be that hard to get help.

TheGrim123321

CPU: I3-4170Cooler: Hyper TX3Mobo:Biostar B85MGMemory: G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4GBStorage: Barracuda 500GBGPU: Zotac GTX660Case: Fractal 1100PSU: Evga 500WMonitors: FHX2153L 21.5"│V193WEJb 19"Keyboard/Mouse: CMStorm DevastorAudio: MonoPrice 8323Microphone: BlueYeti BlackoutOS: MSX(Win10) Quote me or @TheGrim123321 to get my attention.

Meh, phone games is the way forward... for children. My cousin(s) (ranging from 6-12 years old) do nothing but sit on their tablets and phones, even at birthdays. They meet up, say hello, quickly eat a bun and a muffin, race into the living room to play for the rest of the day.

Those percentages just mean 45% of kids play on pc, 63% on mobile. There is some overlapping because people play on multiple platforms.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Not so long ago people laughed at the idea of a console and look what happened. 

people still laugh at them? Kappa /r/pcmasterrace

i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz 1.37v, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid, Asus z370-A Prime

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

NZXT H440 White, Corsair H100i GTX v2, EVGA 750G2

Corsair AF140 x1, Corsair SP120 x2, Noctua Industrial 3000 RPM x3

Playing on a smartphone isnt really gaming :P

yeah, people playing for hours a day on a cellphone.

No

Pretty sure mobile devices would also include tablets...

Real games have died anyways, its all old franchises being milked, retarded indie wanna make a buck with crapy games and now the idiotic mobile games oh the mobile games, you have no buttons, no precision no performance, graphics sucks its just humanity regressing in this matter.Actually humanity is regressing in quite a lot of places lately, terrorism, racism and religious fanatics are going nowhere maybe just increasing and so are wars, "mobile games are the future" bullshit doesnt surprise me at all.

Where are my challenging strategy games and good old rpgs? all we have is pay2win mmorpgs, and DLC's.

There are so many reasons why I don't like mobile games:

- The controls. Ok, there are may be some gimmicky games you can make with touch controlls, but nothing that interests me for an extended period of time. But KB+mouse, a controller or just the buttons and joysticks of a handheld work much better for the games I prefer. Also I don't want to carry out an accessory that is only supported by some games.

- The fact that storage on mobile devices is more limited. Not such a big thing, but if you store photos and music on your smartphone, it could be problematic to use it as your primary gaming platform.

- The payment model. I can't stand those freemium games, most of which are much more obnoxiously freemium than say Dota or LoL. Give me a decent game, and I'll pay a decent amount of money (once!). Which leads to the next point.

- The general quality of the games. It's understandable from a financial view point, because in the mobile gaming world, originality or quality don't seem to be related to success and it would be smarter to spend money on a psychologist to make the game as addicting as possible instead of on development, but the overwhelming majority of mobile games are just cheap junk. The best games I played on mobile were ports from other platforms, including the SNES.