Help with choosing airflow setup for Define r5 case!

Go to solution Solved by vectorx5000,

ALL THE AIRFLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT EVEN BOTHER WITH A CASE JUST BUY AN AIRPLANE ENGINE AND BLOW AIR OVER THE RAW COMPONENTS BOLTED TO THE FLOOR!!!!!!

NO BUT SERIUESLY AIRFLOW > LESS AIRFLOW ACORDING TO ME .3

Is it best to blow super hot smoky air at components at hundreds of miles per hour?

Hey guys, how's it going? I am planning a new beast gaming build to do intense gaming on and also do everyday work.

I have chosen my case, the Define r5 seems like the best out there regarding pros and cons. (other than NZXT H440)

I need some help choosing an AIRFLOW setup that will cool my gpu and cpu and other components inside the case.

Current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($523.00 @ CPL Online) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($245.00 @ Centre Com) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB Video Card  ($649.00 @ Centre Com) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($159.00 @ CPL Online) 
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer  ($17.00 @ IJK) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $2201.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-25 20:50 AEST+1000

My build has a budget of somewhere around $2450 AUD MAX (please keep in mind it is australian prices not us or canadian dollars!)

I have put together a document to show what I am thinking about right now! It is attached to the topic, please check it out and criticize me! Thanks!  :lol:

EDIT #1
So ok I still have 2 fans exhausting at the top and 2 fans bringing cool air in from the front. To save some money I might use the 120mm included fan for the rear next to the cpu cooler to remove the air from my CPU cooler. I also added an extra fan to cool my gpu at the bottom since my card is VERY hot xD
Here is another terrible diagram :D

BPZlTgy.jpg

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

Looks solid. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

Dude it's not f*cking rocket science. :P I made some points to help you along your way.

- Intake in the front, exhaust in the rear. Make sure intakes are filtered.

- Heat rises, remember that.

- Positive air pressure! Always have at least 1 more intake fan than exhaust. (Keeps the dust out - refer to point number 1)

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

so, i have a rather similar setup, the big differences being a be quiet advanced C1, a 4790k and a GTX970.

i suggest removing the top drive bay from the define R5, and putting the two included fans in the front.

depending on how toasty that 390x is you may want an extra fan in the bottom, blowing up straight into the GPU.

if you're gonna buy extra fans anyways, might as well add an exhaust fan at the rear. (your cpu cooler will actually take care of most of that)

one thing i can say from testing is that -if you dont mind dust / noise- just taking the top moduvents off for just passive dissipation is a good help as well.

ALL THE AIRFLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT EVEN BOTHER WITH A CASE JUST BUY AN AIRPLANE ENGINE AND BLOW AIR OVER THE RAW COMPONENTS BOLTED TO THE FLOOR!!!!!!

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

YESS I WILL HAVE 2 BOUEING ENGINES BLOWING AIR ONTO MY GRAPHICS CARDS YESSSS ULTIMATE GAMING AEROPLANE!!! 

Nahh in all srsness i have thought of attatching my pc to my desk with no desk you dumb nut CASE NOT DESK WITHOUT A CASE GOD OMG NO GOD NO GOD k im bored xD

#blamelinus

Spoiler

If you plan to mount the psu at the front like that, you will have a gaping hole at the rear where its supposed to go.

I have a 390 in my r5 and I went with 2 140mm at the front, 1 at the front bottom (where you have your psu drawn, although I'm not happy with that) and 1 exhaust at the rear 140mm. I have the nd-h14 cpu cooler also. Temps on gpu don't got above 63c.

CPU - FX-8350 / GPU - r9 390 / RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance / Storage - Samsung Evo 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD / Case - Fractal Design R5 / PSU - Corsair HX750i / MOBO - ASRock Extreme4

Is it best to blow super hot smoky air at components at hundreds of miles per hour?

My Rig:

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @4.3 GHz; Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus; Cooler: Cryorig H5 Ultimate; RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Black; GPU: MSI R9 380 4GB; Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Window; SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB and 500GB; HDD: WD Blue 1TB; PSU: EVGA 750W P2

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 29UM57; Headset: HyperX Cloud II; Keyboard: Gamdias Hermes Mechanical; Mouse: Zowie EC2-A

JJ from Asus recently said that from their testing the best config is front and top intake, with a single exhaust in the rear. I wouldn't use corsair fans tho, bitfenix specter pros are much better and not much more expensive. Phanteks MP are great, be quiet! silent wings are great, Cougar vortex too, just, i don't like corsair fans, i've bought them and used stock ones and, they were shit.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

JJ from Asus recently said that from their testing the best config is front and top intake, with a single exhaust in the rear. I wouldn't use corsair fans tho, bitfenix specter pros are much better and not much more expensive. Phanteks MP are great, be quiet! silent wings are great, Cougar vortex too, just, i don't like corsair fans, i've bought them and used stock ones and, they were shit.

Well i am thinking about swapping my fans but i cant go any higher than like 25 bucks for each fan (australian dollars) Because seriously not paying 30 dollars for a fking fan.

Also "JJ" is wrong, hot air will rise which makes the best place to put an exhaust at the top instead of the rear. I am confident in my airflow setup but I might consider changing my fans now. I am again, 100% confident in this airflow setup that I have so I don't really need help with that anymore but thanks for suggesting anyway :)

Spoiler

Well i am thinking about swapping my fans but i cant go any higher than like 25 bucks for each fan (australian dollars) Because seriously not paying 30 dollars for a fking fan.

Also "JJ" is wrong, hot air will rise which makes the best place to put an exhaust at the top instead of the rear. I am confident in my airflow setup but I might consider changing my fans now. I am again, 100% confident in this airflow setup that I have so I don't really need help with that anymore but thanks for suggesting anyway :)

Hot air rises in a static enviroment, in a dymamic airflow the updraft speed is meaningless and convection doesn't take place. Simply put, if hot air rises in your case you got unproper airflow. Fluid dynamics don't lie dude.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Hot air rises in a static enviroment, in a dymamic airflow the updraft speed is meaningless and convection doesn't take place. Simply put, if hot air rises in your case you got unproper airflow. Fluid dynamics don't lie dude.

Oh. K I tihnk i just got rekt

tx 4 new information lol :D

Spoiler

Oh. K I tihnk i just got rekt

tx 4 new information lol :D

LOL, np. JJ is the guy from Asus who design motherboards and GPUs, when he says something, at least it's worth reserching it.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

LOL, np. JJ is the guy from Asus who design motherboards and GPUs, when he says something, at least it's worth reserching it.

Hah didn't read the Asus part, must've skipped over there is someone else @ newegg called JJ and he is total bollocks 100% marketing xD must be different people aha Thanks

Spoiler

hot air rises only when there is no airflow.

since using interior case fans, the air within the case will divert/circulate any hot

air rising. and thinking hot air rising at a pace faster than the case fans are

blowing hasn't tried/tested the possibilities.

hot air rises only when there is no airflow.

since using interior case fans, the air within the case will divert/circulate any hot

air rising. and thinking hot air rising at a pace faster than the case fans are

blowing hasn't tried/tested the possibilities.

If you haven't noticed... @tomas170 already addressed this issue

Spoiler

well that's only if you set it up wrong, if you do it the way I imagined, it would be cool freshish air at hundreds of miles per hour :) and yes it's the only way to properly cool your PC

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

If you plan to mount the psu at the front like that, you will have a gaping hole at the rear where its supposed to go.

I have a 390 in my r5 and I went with 2 140mm at the front, 1 at the front bottom (where you have your psu drawn, although I'm not happy with that) and 1 exhaust at the rear 140mm. I have the nd-h14 cpu cooler also. Temps on gpu don't got above 63c.

Yea I literally just figoured that out but to put in my hard drive I would have to do that anway :) thanks

Spoiler