Do you think desktop GPUs will be held back because of laptops?

With the release of full GPU laptops, do you think NVIDIA will really focus on efficiency? This would probably result in less performance overall. I don't know. 

They always kinda have but now they've hit the mark. Where desktops can handle much higher temps, meaning more performance. After re-reading this my explanation makes no sense so yolo. good night

blackshades on

The overall goal for awhile now has been trying to pack as much performance in as less consuming a GPU as possible, idk where you've been for that...

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

My 480 turned on like a gas stove top, so I don't mind this even if it would be true. Because maxwell was so power efficient on the desktop, it was easier to translate that to MXM cards. Or maybe they under powered the desktop cards to make the 9xxm series look better. Doubt it. But whatevs. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

i just got a 480 for the nostalgia and to mod it and put it on display

I just got 3X 480's, they said its gonna be a cold winter so I gotta stock up this year

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

I was more thinking like "oh, so they are binning GPU x for laptops.. Will that mean the average GPU x will be less good in overclocking? that's a shame..."

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I just got 3X 480's, they said its gonna be a cold winter so I gotta stock up this year

You don't use them to heat rooms, you use them when you're having a barbecue.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

You don't use them to heat rooms, you use them when you're having a barbecue.

Unfortunately I dont have a terrace at my apartment, so no barbecues go on here :/

Unfortunately I dont have a terrace at my apartment, so no barbecues go on here :/

Funny thing is I'm actually using my rig as a heater right now. Currently folding because it's cold.

blackshades on

Funny thing is I'm actually using my rig as a heater right now. Currently folding because it's cold.

I have an actual space heater for when that happens :P Considering my room gets either rlly cold in winter or rlly hot in summer (no real way to avoid the heat in summer, just gotta leave my door open which I hate)

I have an actual space heater for when that happens :P Considering my room gets either rlly cold in winter or rlly hot in summer (no real way to avoid the heat in summer, just gotta leave my door open which I hate)

I am killing two birds with one stone. BC power is cheap as balls anyway

blackshades on

I was more thinking like "oh, so they are binning GPU x for laptops.. Will that mean the average GPU x will be less good in overclocking? that's a shame..."

your avatar still needs more sunglasses.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

your avatar still needs more sunglasses.

JlgCVlS.gif

I tried and it looks super silly

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Honestly consider how small actual GPU chip is, most of the GPU chassis is cooling

Consider how small you can make laptop motherboards - look inside the Retina Macbooks

You can easily make a laptop with a small motherboard, a desktop GPU with plenty of space for heatpipes and stuff (as much as a desktop card) and have great performance with minimal suffering for thermals

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

That's why you use GTX 480-you can have one inside your home.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

That's why you use GTX 480-you can have one inside your home.

Youd make a good advertiser