Why would you need to overclock a 5820k?

LunarMagicGaming

Have a new cpu and a noctua NH D15 so overclocking should be easy, but is it worth it?

It is. Overclock that sucker and get tons more performance.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Have a new cpu and a noctua NH D15 so overclocking should be easy, but is it worth it?

What are you going to be using it for? I've read that some programs don't like overclocked CPUs so if you are doing a ton of editing and stuff like that you may have to check first. If you do, make sure it is really stable. 

I thought OCing CPUs did absolutely nothing for framerate? 

That is not true for many many games.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Depends on the game, if it's a heavily CPU bound game you will see a boost depending on the OC

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

That is not true for many many games.

What are you going to be using it for? I've read that some programs don't like overclocked CPUs so if you are doing a ton of editing and stuff like that you may have to check first. If you do, make sure it is really stable. 

It is. Overclock that sucker and get tons more performance.

What do you think a good overclock i should aim for? I will be doing video editing, streaming to twitch and other things. My cooer will let me do like anything

Since he is using an extreme edition he won't need to be messing with any base clock settings so as long as it is a stable overclock all programs that don't set their run speed by clock speed should not have an issue with it.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

Depends on the game, if it's a heavily CPU bound game you will see a boost depending on the OC

Battlefield 4 has a framerate boost if you overclock it

If the CPU isn't the limiting factor in performance, getting more CPU power won't increase your framerate if you don't change anything else, because whatever is the limiting factor in your performance is still there, and is still limiting you. So if you are in a GPU-bound scenario, overclocking your CPU does nothing, and the same is true in reverse, if you are in a CPU-bound scenario overclocking your GPU does nothing. GPU-bound scenarios are far more common but depending on the hardware combination and application, you can certainly run into CPU-bound scenarios, where overclocking will help immensely.

If you are in a completely CPU-bound scenario, performance increase is directly proportional to your overclock. A 50% overclock, i.e. from 3.0GHz to 4.5GHz, yields a 50% performance increase.

you bought a k-processor so I guess you bought it to over locked so.......

If the CPU isn't the limiting factor in performance, getting more CPU power won't increase your framerate if you don't change anything else, because whatever is the limiting factor in your performance is still there, and is still limiting you. So if you are in a GPU-bound scenario, overclocking your CPU does nothing, and the same is true in reverse, if you are in a CPU-bound scenario overclocking your GPU does nothing. GPU-bound scenarios are far more common but depending on the hardware combination and application, you can certainly run into CPU-bound scenarios, where overclocking will help immensely.

Well i got a gtx 970 evga superclocked gpu i might overclock it more but i think it might be fine

you bought a k-processor so I guess you bought it to over locked so.......

He might just have wanted the extra cores; there are no equivalently clocked xeons in the price range of the 5820k The nearest spec wise xeon is about $200 more and only 200 Mhz faster

Honestly, if you're never seeing any issues due to poor performance, and don't have any desire to give overclocking a try (for fun), it may well not be worth it. The 5820K at stock is massively overkill for most games, so unless you're rocking some insane GPU setup then that's likely to be the bottleneck. Really, what you'd want to overclock for is if you regularly do long, CPU intensive tasks (e.g. rendering video) and would like that to run ~30% faster

Check out my video work at youtube.com/SuperUserTech

Acer Aspire 5750G - i5-2410m | 8GB 1333Mhz RAM | 500GB 5400RPM HDD | Nvidia GT540m

2xBenQ EW2440L | Sennheiser HD600 | Corsair Vengeance K65 | Corsair Vengeance M65 | Panasonic Lumix G7 | Panasonic 20mm F1.7

Honestly, if you're never seeing any issues due to poor performance, and don't have any desire to give overclocking a try (for fun), it may well not be worth it. The 5820K at stock is massively overkill for most games, so unless you're rocking some insane GPU setup then that's likely to be the bottleneck. Really, what you'd want to overclock for is if you regularly do long, CPU intensive tasks (e.g. rendering video) and would like that to run ~30% faster

or running games that don't don't run on multiple cores but still put a beat down on a single thread; MMO's (mostly in raid combat or a crowded cities) and older RTS games (Supreme commander with a high pop cap is a prime example) are often guilty of this.

or running games that don't don't run on multiple cores but still put a beat down on a single thread; MMO's (mostly in raid combat or a crowded cities) and older RTS games (Supreme commander with a high pop cap is a prime example) are often guilty of this.

Thank you all of you for explaining to me everything, I think i will overclock  my cpu. What do you think a safe temp is for max load to test it? Also I'm supposed to wait like 5 days of use to see if everything works right?

First of all thats a load of crap. Secondly if your running X99 you should be a hardware enthusiast who will overclock or you will be a person who needs more performance for multithreaded applications such as video editing, 3D modelling/rendering, Audio editing, Programming etc.

What do you think a good overclock i should aim for? I will be doing video editing, streaming to twitch and other things. My cooer will let me do like anything

4.5GHz is a pretty modest overclock. You should be able to go a bit further though.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

check out my overclocking guide; link in my forum signature

BigDay