Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Overenthusiastic Newbie

Hey guys! I'm planning my first solo build and since I don't know how to do things in half measures I'm planning on doing a little modding and doing more as I get more comfortable with it. The case/color scheme will be based on Raven from Teen Titans. I've come up with a part list here but since this is my first time actually choosing parts for myself I'm open to suggestions. The color scheme is black, bronze, a dark bluish purple, and white.

1. Budget & Location
I want to initially stay under 1500 for the parts though I fully intend to upgrade little by little in the future so expandability is important. I live in the US.
2. Aim
Gaming (Preferably on high settings, need dose good good graphics yo), MMOs, Photo/Video editing, 3D modeling

3. Monitors
Planning on running a 2 monitor set up eventually but for now I have one.

4. Peripherals
I've decided on my peripherals already.

5. Why are you upgrading?

My rig was wonderful when I got it 6 years ago but now it can barely handle the games/work I do without overheating. 

post-262828-0-78862300-1442794214.jpg

I'm thinking a raven symbol should be on the front bezel on the little drive bay door but I can't decide if I want it lighted or what could I should do. Thoughts?

post-262828-0-65560900-1442794285.jpg

For the full side I'll have a custom vinyl decal of raven  (not of this art, I just used it as a place holder). I want to cut out the white in her eyes and the white lettering and have them backlit with a white led but I can't quite figure out how to diffuse the led properly without placing it far back (which would get in the way of the cable management back there). Think a piece of thin frosted inside over the holes would be enough to diffuse the led?

I'm also considering creating red resin gems for the power and fan speed controller on the top of the case though I'll have to try it out and see how it looks. It might look stupid.

-SNIP-

If you plan to cut those out of the panel it's going to be fairly intricate, bringing to it to somewhere that can laser cut and etch that would be a good option, as for the frosted plastic you can edge light frost acrylic to get a very even and nice glow. 

More performance, similar looks. :) http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fHnw4D

2x  Xeon E5-2670 16c/32t | 2x Noctua NH-U9DXi4 | Intel S2600CP4 | 64GB's DDR3 ECC

EVGA GTX 1060 ACX 2.0 | OCX Trion 150 240GB SSD | 7TB's of Hard Drives | Fractal Design XL R2
 EVGA 850W B2 80+ | Logitech G610 | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x LG 35MBD-B

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

More performance, similar looks. :) http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fHnw4D

I would suggest going with Skylake, just to help with future upgradability.

May Our Framerates Be High And Our Temperatures Be Low.

PSUs: EVGA B2/G2/GQ/GS, Corsair RMx/i, Grey-Label CXM, Everything Seasonic/Delta/Super Flower, XFX except XT

Use pcpartpicker.com

I would suggest going with Skylake, just to help with future upgradability.

Yes but also much more expensive.

2x  Xeon E5-2670 16c/32t | 2x Noctua NH-U9DXi4 | Intel S2600CP4 | 64GB's DDR3 ECC

EVGA GTX 1060 ACX 2.0 | OCX Trion 150 240GB SSD | 7TB's of Hard Drives | Fractal Design XL R2
 EVGA 850W B2 80+ | Logitech G610 | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x LG 35MBD-B

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Hey guys! I'm planning my first solo build and since I don't know how to do things in half measures I'm planning on doing a little modding and doing more as I

You could start here

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9QHnRB

$1300

i7 6700K + 240m AiO, and a 390 with the ability to crossfire in the future for 4k gaming.

The case is just my preference there is a version with a window on top however if you wanted to put your decal there.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Thanks for the builds guys! I think perhaps a mashup is in order. I think perhaps I will go with the skylake i7 and a 390. Though I was told that a 390 is basically just an overclocked 290x. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

If you plan to cut those out of the panel it's going to be fairly intricate, bringing to it to somewhere that can laser cut and etch that would be a good option, as for the frosted plastic you can edge light frost acrylic to get a very even and nice glow. 

That's a great idea! And I do indeed know a machinist with access to a laser cutter for some reason. I asked him about it and he said it wouldn't be a problem (swweeeett :D). Any advice on attaching acrylic to metal? This to that says metal epoxy.

-SNIP-

For attaching the acrylic if you want it to not have a gap between the material and the panel which foam tapes tend to have something like a silicone would be perfect for that. One thing after laser cutting you will need to retouch the edges of the panel since it will have exposed metal so a paint marker or small can of metal paint would be needed.