I need help to start folding

Hello everyone!

i would like to start folding because i just heard about it here on the forums and would like to contribute for a good cause but i have no idea how to do it, any help would be appreciated even if it's just a link to a website.

thank you

Hey Bennyino - please check the following links...

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/community-portal/folding-home-boinc/19038-sticky-folding-home-install-guide-and-links-linustechtips-team-223518

There is an install guide there. Basically download the folding software, get your passkey and plug in a userID and our team number and away you go. For some commong issues you may run into, check:

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/community-portal/folding-home-boinc/25283-linustechtips-folding-team-223518-faq

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Thanks Whaler_99 i will try to do it on my laptop this afternoon :)

Just be careful with laptops - monitor temps. You can use HWMonitor (google it). Some laptops have an issue with exhausting waste heat...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

i'll be sure to check that :) btw can i just run it in the background on my main rig? while gaming and browsing the web?

You can run it all the time - it may bog down a bit when gaming, otherwise should be good. What I do, when gaming, I go into FAH Control, click Pause while I game. When done, click Fold and away she goes...

so i started folding about a week ago and my 3570k and hd7770 and fah control always says im doing around 7000 ppd is that normal? it only runs for about 8 hours a day maybe even less

With the AMD chips, they impact the CPU core - but 7000 a day when only doing 8 hrs is pretty good. You could try pausing the GPU for a bit, see if the SMP picks up and vice versa. Running only one or the other may give you better numbers. Only way to know is testing...

You can switch to expert mode - little drop down on right hand side. You will then be able to right click in the "slots" section and individually pause your SMP or GPU while you test.

that's what i see, i dont have an expert mode option, am i looking for it in the wrong place?

post-2583-13667861756949_thumb.jpg

post-2583-13667861756949_thumb.jpg

screen shot to small. :) But - common error with FAH - click on the right bottom corner and stretch out the app window and make it bigger. Then you will see the drop down to switch from Novice, to Advanced, to Expert.

sorry i had to compress it so it would let me upload it

it looks like there is some stuff this program doesnt really explain you, anyway i did it and know it tells me i have a project running on smp and another on gpu, now i just stop one of them to see if it impacts the performance and then try the other one right?

Pretty much. Don't click the big buttons "fold", "pause", etc. at the top - that does all your slots. In the first Windows - it lists your folding slots. Click on - then right click, then you can pause and then fold each slot individually. Do this on your GPU when you want to game. But ya, pause one. You might need to let run a day or two to get a good baseline...

my pc lags quite a bit just watching youtube videos and watching shows when i'm folding, that is the cpu right? if i pause the cpu folding it should be less laggy right?

"should" - but typically CPU folding shouldn't effect any of that. Could actually be the GPU - check in your browser settings. Make sure hardware acceleration is disabled.