Python 3 "TypeError: 'list' object is not callable"

NeatSquidYT
Go to solution Solved by Azgoth 2,

Toxicable and ICantThinkOfAnyGoodName are right about where the problem is--toppings(count) tries to call a function toppings with the argument count, but Python finds that toppings is a list, so it break.

But there's another problem I'm seeing--Python 3 doesn't implicitly convert from strings to integers/floats, and the input() function returns a string.  So you'll be trying to compare, say, '5' (string) to 9 (int), and it won't work.  It won't work anyways when you get to the user-input 'fin' if present.

Here's my quick-and-dirty solution.  What I changed:

• The user is now prompted for the toppings via a for-loop.  The loop tries to convert the input to an integer and append it to toppings.  If it can't do this (i.e., if Python throws a ValueError), then it breaks the loop and stops prompting the user for toppings.  This lets the user type "fin" or any non-numeric character to finish entering toppings.
  • Using list comprehension, all values outside of the range 0-9 (inclusive) are removed from the list.
  • price is incremented by the length of the toppings list, which should be equivalent to what you were doing before.
  • toppings is now declared as a global variable, just to be consistent with price, and because I occasionally got some erorrs otherwise. 

Note that this doesn't check to make sure the user has a valid topping selection--they can enter "400" and the script won't notice.  It will just filter that out of the list later on.  You could definitely add some more code to make sure the inputs are valid, though this might complicate the script a bit more.

prices = {"ThinCrust":3,"DeepPan":4,"StuffedCrust":5,"Topping":1}toppings = []price = 0def main():    global price    global toppings    print("The toppings are: Extra Cheese (0), Salami (1), Ham (2), Mushroom (3), Pineapple (4), Chicken (5), Peppers (6), Onion (7), Bacon (8) and Olives (9)")    print("Enter the customer's toppings. If they have said less than 5, then type 'fin' instead of the topping number.")    # Input loop--stops prompting the user for input when they enter a    # non-numeric character.    for XNUM in range(5):        uinput = input("Topping %i: " %(XNUM+1))        try: toppings.append(int(uinput))        except ValueError: break    toppings = [I for I in toppings if I in range(10)]    price += len(toppings)    print(toppings)main()

Hopefully this helps.  Let me know if it's not working or some other such issue comes up.

I'm having issue with a python 3 program, here's the program:

price = 0toppings = []prices = {"ThinCrust":3,"DeepPan":4,"StuffedCrust":5,"Topping":1}def main():    global price    print("The toppings are: Extra Cheese (0), Salami (1), Ham (2), Mushroom (3), Pineapple (4), Chicken (5), Peppers (6), Onion (7), Bacon (8) and Olives (9)")    print("Enter the customer's toppings. If they have said less than 5, then type 'fin' instead of the topping number.")    toppings.append(input("Topping 1: "))    toppings.append(input("Topping 2: "))    toppings.append(input("Topping 3: "))    toppings.append(input("Topping 4: "))    toppings.append(input("Topping 5: "))    count = 0    for each in toppings:        if toppings(count) > 9:            toppings.pop[count]        else:            price += 1        count +=1    print(toppings)main()

wat, are you coding an online pizza-shop?

(sorry for not useful post but im a python noob....)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

I havent used python in a while, but I think you need to replace

if toppings(count) > 9:

with

if toppings[count] > 9:

might be wrong though.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

I'm having issue with a python 3 program, here's the program:

price = 0toppings = []prices = {"ThinCrust":3,"DeepPan":4,"StuffedCrust":5,"Topping":1}def main():    global price    print("The toppings are: Extra Cheese (0), Salami (1), Ham (2), Mushroom (3), Pineapple (4), Chicken (5), Peppers (6), Onion (7), Bacon (8) and Olives (9)")    print("Enter the customer's toppings. If they have said less than 5, then type 'fin' instead of the topping number.")    toppings.append(input("Topping 1: "))    toppings.append(input("Topping 2: "))    toppings.append(input("Topping 3: "))    toppings.append(input("Topping 4: "))    toppings.append(input("Topping 5: "))    count = 0    for each in toppings:        if toppings(count) > 9:            toppings.pop[count]        else:            price += 1        count +=1    print(toppings)main()

Whats the error the shell? 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

I havent used python in a while, but I think you need to replace

if toppings(count) > 9:

with

if toppings[count] > 9:

might be wrong though.

@NeatSquidYT

As far as I understand this is correct, toppings(count) would be calling (hence your error message) the method toppings passing through count but that's not what you want.

Also i'd suggest using a range loop rather than a counter

Toxicable and ICantThinkOfAnyGoodName are right about where the problem is--toppings(count) tries to call a function toppings with the argument count, but Python finds that toppings is a list, so it break.

But there's another problem I'm seeing--Python 3 doesn't implicitly convert from strings to integers/floats, and the input() function returns a string.  So you'll be trying to compare, say, '5' (string) to 9 (int), and it won't work.  It won't work anyways when you get to the user-input 'fin' if present.

Here's my quick-and-dirty solution.  What I changed:

• The user is now prompted for the toppings via a for-loop.  The loop tries to convert the input to an integer and append it to toppings.  If it can't do this (i.e., if Python throws a ValueError), then it breaks the loop and stops prompting the user for toppings.  This lets the user type "fin" or any non-numeric character to finish entering toppings.
  • Using list comprehension, all values outside of the range 0-9 (inclusive) are removed from the list.
  • price is incremented by the length of the toppings list, which should be equivalent to what you were doing before.
  • toppings is now declared as a global variable, just to be consistent with price, and because I occasionally got some erorrs otherwise. 

Note that this doesn't check to make sure the user has a valid topping selection--they can enter "400" and the script won't notice.  It will just filter that out of the list later on.  You could definitely add some more code to make sure the inputs are valid, though this might complicate the script a bit more.

prices = {"ThinCrust":3,"DeepPan":4,"StuffedCrust":5,"Topping":1}toppings = []price = 0def main():    global price    global toppings    print("The toppings are: Extra Cheese (0), Salami (1), Ham (2), Mushroom (3), Pineapple (4), Chicken (5), Peppers (6), Onion (7), Bacon (8) and Olives (9)")    print("Enter the customer's toppings. If they have said less than 5, then type 'fin' instead of the topping number.")    # Input loop--stops prompting the user for input when they enter a    # non-numeric character.    for XNUM in range(5):        uinput = input("Topping %i: " %(XNUM+1))        try: toppings.append(int(uinput))        except ValueError: break    toppings = [I for I in toppings if I in range(10)]    price += len(toppings)    print(toppings)main()

Hopefully this helps.  Let me know if it's not working or some other such issue comes up.