China wants US tech companies to sign a PRISM-like 'pledge of compliance'

Next week the head of Cyberspace Administration of China (and also the Propaganda Department of the Communist Party of China), Lu Wei is holding a summit with US tech companies in Seattle.

There he is expected to push further for US tech giants to sign an agreement which, on top of various consumer rights stipulations and measures to protect Chinese user's data (from parties that aren't the Chinese government), also asks the companies to

“accept the supervision of all parts of society”—including third-party evaluation of all products to determine they are “secure and controllable…to prove compliance with these commitments.”

This language, which is similar to recently announced Chinese domestic law opens companies up for requests of encrypted user information and possibly requests to install backdoors on behalf of the Chinese authorities.

I personally think this is a good thing in the sense that a lot of people have an undeserved image of US three letter agencies not being interested in industrial espionage and thought policing, but if an authoritarian state like China makes tech giants do the same kind of compliance with them, a lot of businesses at least might make a real effort to not be so reliant on 'cloud' services that mine their data.

post-75028-0-23597700-1442559793.jpg

New York Times article

Pledge full text

Ars Technica article

YESSSS. This is good. But only because it could show the US that their demand for any company operating on their soil to give up all data is just as stupid as China demanding the same thing.

No data should just be given up to any government without proper systems in place to protect it.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

This seems applicable:

uvltkp.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Personally, I would like to see them all say "no, fuck off" and leave China, then see China collapse economically.

Not that it would matter, China would just steal all their patents and start some of their own companies making the same products.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Personally, I would like to see them all say "no, fuck off" and leave China, then see China collapse economically.

Not that it would matter, China would just steal all their patents and start some of their own companies making the same products.

I'd love to see tech giants do that to any country that demands privacy compromises. It would cause so much shit to hit the fan if Google disabled their services in the US for just one day.

Every topic I post in dies.

I'd love to see tech giants do that to any country that demands privacy compromises. I'd love to see just how much shit would hit the fan if Google disabled their services in the US for just one day.

I would think that would end with every member of each branch of government being imprisoned lol

I would be more afraid of China making us pay our tab. Before they collapse, they would take us with them.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I would be more afraid of China making us pay our tab. Before they collapse, they would take us with them.

Their collapse would take the entire world with them regardless.

As for making us pay our tab....how exactly would that work?

And then every other market in the world economy will collapse because of reliance on China.

Man, remember when every company suffered a pretty big blow because the Chinese Yuan (dollar) lost some value? That was like a month ago lol.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

China would not take us with them, at least economically. The U.S., Mexico, and Canada have become a lot more economically independent in the past few years with the advent of green technologies and our new independence on oil (fracking, shale, oil sand). Although Canada is in an economic downturn, they are just as independent as we are besides their imports on certain goods. We will obviously take a hit, but it will be nothing like the housing bubble of 2008.

Militarily, we would destroy them before they even had a chance to strike. And that wouldn't even happen because our allies surround them and they would be pressured to back down. Now this might be different if Russia allied with them, which actually is becoming more and more likely recently what with Putin visiting and forming good ties with them.

In that case, we would still win but at a great cost, the majority would side with us while the minority would side with them. There's a reason we are called the global police, our forces can be deployed anywhere in a matter of days, we have the largest military might twice over the next highest countries military. We also are starting to deploy lasers on our brand new navy destroyers in the next two years, and have the F-35 coming into production once half life 3 releases. Not to mention our national missile defense which has a pretty good success ratio (see iron dome videos on youtube).

Also railguns. Fuck. Yeah.

No data should just be given up to any government without proper systems in place to protect it.

We all know governments can't protect any data so don't give it to them ffs.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

China would not take us with them, at least economically. The U.S., Mexico, and Canada have become a lot more economically independent in the past few years with the advent of green technologies and our new independence on oil (fracking, shale, oil sand). Although Canada is in an economic downturn, they are just as independent as we are besides their imports on certain goods. We will obviously take a hit, but it will be nothing like the housing bubble of 2008.

Militarily, we would destroy them before they even had a chance to strike. And that wouldn't even happen because our allies surround them and they would be pressured to back down. Now this might be different if Russia allied with them, which actually is becoming more and more likely recently what with Putin visiting and forming good ties with them.

In that case, we would still win but at a great cost, the majority would side with us while the minority would side with them. There's a reason we are called the global police, our forces can be deployed anywhere in a matter of days, we have the largest military might twice over the next highest countries military. We also are starting to deploy lasers on our brand new navy destroyers in the next two years, and have the F-35 coming into production once half life 3 releases. Not to mention our national missile defense which has a pretty good success ratio (see iron dome videos on youtube).

Also railguns. Fuck. Yeah.

Stop calling it a railgun, it's a Gauss Rifle DAMNIT lol

I generally agree. Although I still think the world economy would be in a fairly bad state if China crashed. Even the US. Go into somewhere like Walmart and see how much if made in China. ALOT of it is.

And.....oh god. What would happen to the Tech Industry? WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO GPU PRICES?! *panic buying ensues*

They'd walk up to our powerful military, looking down at the ground with their arms behind their back, give us those girl scout pouty eyes, and ask us nicely? That's how i imagine it. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Now this might be different if Russia allied with them, which actually is becoming more and more likely recently what with Putin visiting and forming good ties with them.

It's highly likely that Russia would do anything they could to poke us in the eye, but beyond their nuclear arsenal they are probably much less of a threat than China. Russia has a military comparable in size to that of France, but with fewer/weaker allies, less ability to project their power, and equipped with generally older technology. The state of their economy also calls into question how long they could actually engage in a real war with anyone, let alone the U.S. They will stick to espionage, cyber warfare, and Cold War political tactics.

well china does hold a lot of US treasury bonds in order to help the US during the debt crisis, so I would imagine China would start cashing them in. I doubt saying no to not paying is that simple.

Also, When a foreign company open shop in China, they are forced to partner up with a chinese company and also give them their IPs.

fun fact I learned: China bought Costa Rica

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Well if China collapses most of electronics manufacturing goes with it.