is supremefx really that good?

theking

Hi! I am going to get a new board, i like the maximus vi hero. And i love the z87 sabertooth. Is supreme fx really that much better than alc1150.

Intel Core i5 4670K | Sapphire R9 290 | Define R4 | Gigabyte Z87X-D3H | 8Gb Ballistix | Corsair RM650 | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | Seagate Barracuda 1TB |

Would love to be the owner of the: nAMDvidia Titation 3000 ultra-xt Platinum Edition :D

If you're looking for good sound, just get a dedicated sound card.

The onboard sound isn't the spectacular in comparison. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you're looking for good sound, just get a dedicated sound card.

The onboard sound isn't the spectacular in comparison. 

Or an external dedicated DAC/amp.

Right... Which sound card would you suggest? I want great audio but i do not wear headphones therefore i dont need an amplifier

Intel Core i5 4670K | Sapphire R9 290 | Define R4 | Gigabyte Z87X-D3H | 8Gb Ballistix | Corsair RM650 | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | Seagate Barracuda 1TB |

Would love to be the owner of the: nAMDvidia Titation 3000 ultra-xt Platinum Edition :D

Right... Which sound card would you suggest? I want great audio but i do not wear headphones therefore i dont need an amplifier

Amps aren't just for headphones. Just FYI.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

Supreme FX is a realtek chip (can't remember which one) with some software from Creative and a bit of extra shielding from interference if I understand it correctly. Asus doesn't really give any specifications on their website so it's hard to figure out which chip it really is.

Anyway, if you're thinking of getting the VI HERO just for the better sound then don't do it. Chances are you won't really get any noticeable benefit from the better sound on the VI HERO, and even if you do you'd still be better of putting the money you save on the motherboard into a real AMP/DAC such as the FiiO E10.

Edit: Actually, if I am allowed to make a motherboard suggestion even if it's the audio forum, I would go with the Asus Z87-A motherboard. It's about 100 dollars cheaper and you lose:

1 PCIe x1 slot

2 SATA 6Gb/s ports (from ASMedia controller)

Realtek 8111GR LAN instead of Intel I217V

Realtek ALC892 instead of Realtek ALC1150

You gain:

~100 USD

2 PCI slots

1 PS2 port

Chances are you won't use the extra PCIe x1 slot. I think it's better to have a PCI slot for backwards compatibility (the Z87-A still has 2 PCIe x1 slots if you need one). The extra 2 6Gb/s ports are most likely not needed either (you still get 6 ports on the Z87-A). For the onboard LAN you will most likely not notice any difference. Intel is generally high quality but I've never had any issues with Realtek chips, and you would most likely not see any performance difference. Not sure about the audio but like I said before, if you really care then you should go for something like the FiiO E10 anyway (which you could afford, and still have money left if you went with the Z87-A)

try onboard first but if you want to buy something.

fiio D3 is what I'd go with for a pure dac (that is if I didn't want to build something)

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Supreme FX is a realtek chip (can't remember which one) with some software from Creative and a bit of extra shielding from interference if I understand it correctly. Asus doesn't really give any specifications on their website so it's hard to figure out which chip it really is.

The Hero and Extreme are just Realtek chips. period.  The Formula has a TI Op-amp tacked onto it for a special headphone output.  I don't know anything about any creative addons, maybe software?  Which gives it an output impedance of 10 Ohms.  It's in the FAQ under the question "What should I look for in a sound card?"

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

The Hero and Extreme are just Realtek chips. period.  The Formula has a TI Op-amp tacked onto it for a special headphone output.  I don't know anything about any creative addons, maybe software?  Which gives it an output impedance of 10 Ohms.  It's in the FAQ under the question "What should I look for in a sound card?"

Yes that's what I meant. Some extra software thing from Creative. I didn't mean Creative added the shielding or anything like that, but I see how my post could be misinterpreted like that.

Asus does say on their site that it has "SupremeFX shileding" so I assume that was just a fancier word for some extra shielding from interference. Maybe I am wrong on that though.

Asus does say on their site that it has "SupremeFX shileding"

It's just that silly EMI shield that actually disguises the fact it's just a Realtek chip.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

The Hero and Extreme are just Realtek chips. period. The Formula has a TI Op-amp tacked onto it for a special headphone output. I don't know anything about any creative addons, maybe software? Which gives it an output impedance of 10 Ohms. It's in the FAQ under the question "What should I look for in a sound card?"

Unless he wants SonicRadar the overlay in games that show a radar where sounds come from. Which is cheats..Asus is encouraging gamers to cheat...

So... There isn't that much difference between onboard audio.

I have a pretty good sourround speaker system will the dac that was suggested improve my sound?

So... There isn't that much difference between onboard audio.

I have a pretty good sourround speaker system will the dac that was suggested improve my sound?

Is it a pc surround sound speaker set or a home theatre styled set?  If it's a ht set, you'll want an AV receiver.  You can use your onboard for pc speakers quite easily as long as your board's chip supports all the channels you need.  A dedicated sound card may give you more features, and certainly more volume.  If that's an improvement for you and you think it's worth it, go for it.

the fiio d3 isn't for surround.

onboard with optical to a receiver would be your best option.

if it's a computer surround system, I don't really know what to say.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Its a compter sorround system, will a soundcard benefit my audio?

Its a compter sorround system, will a soundcard benefit my audio?

if it's a computer surround system, I don't really know what to say.

well, the "trusted advisor" and me would probably agree. not really.  If the card has DTS connect/Dolby Digital Live and you needed that for something, it might be nice.  The sound quality won't improve though.