Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

The concealed carry paradox. The smaller one goes, the less effective a firearm seems to get. I kept wanting smaller.. lighter.. thinner.. all at the cost of being able to comfortably practice and become proficient with it.

Haven't shot the LC9s Pro yet, but I didn't care for the earlier version.

Right, but I don't plan on actually using it to kill someone unless I have to. I just want something that I can conceal very easily that'll at least help, y'know? Ha

Right, but I don't plan on actually using it to kill someone unless I have to. I just want something that I can conceal very easily that'll at least help, y'know? Ha

I don't think anyone plans to kill when they carry. If that's ever on the table though, it might not be the best idea to be carrying something comfortable yet unshootable under those stresses. Mitigate stress through training and practice; practice is made useful and enjoyable when you can see meaningful progress in your skills. Smaller guns tend to be harder and less enjoyable to shoot, whereas bigger guns are more often to be left at home for being unwieldy when concealed. Chasing that balance.. :wub:

@~5:00

I don't think anyone plans to kill when they carry. If that's ever on the table though, it might not be the best idea to be carrying something comfortable yet unshootable under those stresses. Mitigate stress through training and practice; practice is made useful and enjoyable when you can see meaningful progress in your skills. Smaller guns tend to be harder and less enjoyable to shoot, whereas bigger guns are more often to be left at home for being unwieldy when concealed. Chasing that balance.. :wub:

@~5:00

<snip>

Just like every law officer is taught. We train to use but we do not train rely on. De-escalation training teaches us to use every tool to the best advantage available, your strongest weapon is the mind, if you can defeat your opponent without drawing your weapon you will have a good day. Best trait you can learn is how to read a situation and then knowing what move to make.

Essentially be prepared but use only as last resort. Even drawing your weapon can escalate the situation past the point you intended. No concealed carry wants to use the weapon but it there if you need it.

;)  :D

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My phones are a Samsung Note 20 and a Samsung S9+

🇺🇸   About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46   🇺🇸

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just like every law officer is taught. We train to use but we do not train rely on. De-escalation training teaches us to every tool to the best advantage available, your strongest weapon is the mind, if you can defeat your opponent with out drawing your weapon you will have a good day. Best trait you can learn is how to read a situation and then knowing what move to make.

Essentially be prepared but use only as last resort. Even drawing your weapon can escalate the situation past the point you intended. No concealed carry wants to use the weapon but it there if you need it.

;)  :D

In our regiment someone would have to do guard duty, if a member of public or anyone for that matter shows hostility even carrying a weapon, we do a set routine before anything is fired, and if we do fire we only disable them.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

In our regiment someone would have to do guard duty, if a member of public or anyone for that matter shows hostility even carrying a weapon, we do a set routine before anything is fired, and if we do fire we only disable them.

My Drill Sargent always said "Trained to fight - Not trained to kill"   ;)

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

🇺🇸   About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46   🇺🇸

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 1 month later...

Got a care package from LaRue Tactical today!

2016-02-17%2016.04.38_zpszmg2vgv9.jpg

CPU: i7-4790k MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Gene RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 w/ Noctua NF-A14s 

GPU: Asus Strix GTX-980 Case: Corsair 350D PSU: Corsair AX-760i Storage: 2 x 500GB Evo RAID0 + 2 x 8TB WD Red's in RAID1 

• 4 weeks later...

So, 9mm options - K,Go. Debating a Baretta 92FS. Used purely for comp shooting. Ideas?

40 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

So, 9mm options - K,Go. Debating a Baretta 92FS. Used purely for comp shooting. Ideas?

Not really impressed with the Beretta 92 series personally. Used one when I was still in the service, I mean its solid and accurate but its feels kinda off to me but that may be just me.

I mostly shoot only .45 and .40 as I only own this personally so I cant I cant give any input beyond that, sorry. :(

Spoiler

†  

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

6 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Probably couldn't go wrong with a Glock 17 or 19 for competition shooting. A lot of modifications available that could be useful. I'm partial to my Sig Sauer P226 though.

7 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

For a competition shooting any Double/Single gun is at a disadvantage as you will be forced to use double action for the first round, then single action for the rest of the stage making for two very different triggers which is extremely difficult to master. Personally I would stick to Single action only, or Striker fired guns, for the single predictable trigger.

What kind of competition? With programs like USPSA and IDPA you really need at least .40S&W* to shoot in Major. There's still a ton of fun to be had in Minor but if you want to be really competitive, you need to be in Major. 

My USPSA gun is an XDm 5.25, but the Glock 34/35 is always a good call, as well as the S&W M&P Pro Series. Sig Sauer does offer the P226 line in SAO, which would make for a great competition gun as well. HK VP9, Walther PPQ, etc. would all make for good options. That said, I really like my 92FS, it's probably the smoothest shooting gun I own, but would not be my first pick for competition use. 

I primarily shoot USPSA Production Minor with the XDm 5.25, it's an absolute riot. I cannot imagine anyone not enjoying the heck out of it. Just start slow and concentrate on safety, speed will follow. :)

* I know you can load 9mm up to Major power factors but you would have to start reloading yourself, and it renders your brass unusable, so it gets rather expensive. 

CPU: i7-4790k MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Gene RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 w/ Noctua NF-A14s 

GPU: Asus Strix GTX-980 Case: Corsair 350D PSU: Corsair AX-760i Storage: 2 x 500GB Evo RAID0 + 2 x 8TB WD Red's in RAID1 

I'm not hugely for or against guns. I treat them like any other tool. If I don't handle something like a chainsaw or as basic as a hammer correctly they are both dangerous and man is smart enough to find ways to weaponize them, but it's what you use them for what makes the diferense. For this reason my favorite type of gun would have to be a shotgun. It's a very versatile and practical tool capable of being used for lots of situations. The utilitarian nature and cost effectiveness of them gives them my admiration. I also admire non firearm weapons like bows, throwing weapons and the such. Just like a martial art it's good to know how to defend with that's available and not rely on just one weapon. I don't think I would ever hunt unless I absolutely had to for survival. I don't even like eating meat and avoid whenever possible. Humans were designed to eat things like fruit and nuts and I based my diet around that.

In military video games (namely Planetside 2) I like Burst weapons alongside Shotguns.

I've really taken a liking at shooting while serving.  Too bad it's kinda difficult to continue it. 

I guess I'll survive

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

11 hours ago, Okjoek said:

I'm not hugely for or against guns. I treat them like any other tool. If I don't handle something like a chainsaw or as basic as a hammer correctly they are both dangerous and man is smart enough to find ways to weaponize them, but it's what you use them for what makes the diferense. For this reason my favorite type of gun would have to be a shotgun. It's a very versatile and practical tool capable of being used for lots of situations. The utilitarian nature and cost effectiveness of them gives them my admiration. I also admire non firearm weapons like bows, throwing weapons and the such. Just like a martial art it's good to know how to defend with that's available and not rely on just one weapon. I don't think I would ever hunt unless I absolutely had to for survival. I don't even like eating meat and avoid whenever possible. Humans were designed to eat things like fruit and nuts and I based my diet around that.

In military video games (namely Planetside 2) I like Burst weapons alongside Shotguns.

I'm not following your reply. . you do know that this thread is meant for firearm owners and gun interests? 

Spoiler

†  

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

11 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I'm not following your reply. . you do know that this thread is meant for firearm owners and gun interests? 

I think I pretty clearly contributed my opinions on the subject, although maybe a bit too lengthy of a read.

Short and sweet my favorite gun to own is Mossberg 500.

So Tikka announced their T3X's now - basically better stock and overall better build quality. Going to order one - just debating load - thinking 308 - it'll be a mix of hunting (deer) and ranged shooting (400-500m starting, 700-800m eventually). Thoughts? Alternatives are 270wm and 300wm however they've got more of a kick and I'm not 6'10" and built like a brick building.

Optics will be Trijicon Accupoint, 3-9x40 or 2.5-10x56.

On 3/21/2016 at 10:33 PM, Windspeed36 said:

So Tikka announced their T3X's now - basically better stock and overall better build quality. Going to order one - just debating load - thinking 308 - it'll be a mix of hunting (deer) and ranged shooting (400-500m starting, 700-800m eventually). Thoughts? Alternatives are 270wm and 300wm however they've got more of a kick and I'm not 6'10" and built like a brick building.

Optics will be Trijicon Accupoint, 3-9x40 or 2.5-10x56.

I'm not as knowledgeable on rifles as I am with pistols, but since no one else wants to take a poke, I'll give it a go. 

I have no experience with the T3X's, or T3's but everything I have heard from other people on the T3's has been very positive. The T3 line is very light weight so I would probably stay away from 300WM offerings, that's going to beat you up pretty well. .308win is a great all-round choice for deer hunting, and more than capable for target shooting out to 800m. I do know that it will be going subsonic around that mark depending on what load you are using so keep that in mind. 

Another good option would be 7mm Rem Mag, smaller and lighter but faster projectile. It's arguably more capable at long distances as it wont hit the sonic barrier until past the 1000m mark. But if you aren't really plan on shooting out to those distances it's all kind of a mute point. 

You have to love Trijicon optics. However optics are always a balancing act at any price point; glass quality vs features vs objective size. Objective size is very important if you are using higher magnifications as it gathers much more light. Glass quality is important as it will reduce artifacts and increase clarity at higher magnifications. Features are of coarse features, enough said. Not that I am trying to sway you away from Trijicon, but Vortex makes some very good offerings in that same price bracket. 

GLHF! :)

What about the people in Canada? Ship me a simple handgun with a cartridge please c:

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

• 3 weeks later...

I am so god damn annoyed with this whole Adler firearm issue for Australia - as it already stands you're able to purchase lever action firearms so I don't see what the issue is.

For reference:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-10/decision-on-adler-shotgun-ban-still-under-review/7311912

Current firearm classifications for Victoria.

FgrI7a7.png

Well I'm here to post my Firearms since I am very proud of them. Well In November 2015, I bought my first firearm
That is the Henry .30/30 Golden Boy

ZbncMmp.jpg
8j3Km3G.jpg
a94NfMP.jpg

My second firearm I bought was a Smith & Wesson M&P 9
(Nothing special but since I got it In December, I shot about 2000 rounds through it and still counting.)

YOgg9fa.jpg

Next in December, my Friend came back to Ohio for a visit and he brought back a Heritage Rough Rider .22LR with the .22 Mag and that was one hell of a fun gun to shoot so I had to go out and buy myself one.

J1DBzpi.jpg

Next I came across a great deal for a AR-15 that I couldn't pass up. The Nikon P-223 was on it and came with 200 rounds of 5.56 to boot. SO I bought it since I always wanted an AR. This is an American Tactical. Really good quality for it.

b0lep1a.jpg
b0lep1a.jpg

For Christmas my parents bought me a Mossberg 835 with a red dot on it. Really nice gun and fun too shoot as well.

k3lMR5g.jpg
kSdFmiU.jpg
bOuHSog.jpg
5EiP12f.jpg

After that I went out and got my Concealed Carry Permit, and what better firearm to get than a Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Shield.

VsrYpAj.jpg
8mBInUu.jpg
PZG06W7.jpg
kbMaZks.jpg

After that I picked up another firearm, this time it was the Smith & Wesson M&PL 9 Pro Core series. 
(Just installed the Apex trigger system on it and it made such a big difference, that that 4lb trigger pull now. Next I am buying a threaded barrel from S&W for my pro so I can get a suppressor for it same with my AR I will be buying a suppressor for that as well.)

H5IG7Y9.jpg

wkZVaUM.jpg

LQAGBJ1.jpg

Now over the weekend I bit the bullet and got a Beretta 1301 Comp Shotgun yes this was $1000 for it but I really liked it and had to have it. I do not have pictures of this one yet but I will post them later on.

Right now I am looking at a Walther P1/P38 and still waiting for the right Luger P08 to come around before I buy it. In June I have the CMP by me so I will be buying a M1 Garand and a 1911 Military Surplus.

Edit: Wow can't believe I forgot a firearm. I also have a American Tactical Imports GSG MP40 .22LR, Gets a lot of use out of it but waiting for ATI to bring to the market a 9mm version of it sometime this year and I will buy that the day it comes out.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

20 minutes ago, Poohy14 said:

Well I'm here to post my Firearms since I am very proud of them. Well In November 2015, I bought my first firearm
That is the Henry .30/30 Golden Boy

Reveal hidden contents

ZbncMmp.jpg
8j3Km3G.jpg
a94NfMP.jpg

My second firearm I bought was a Smith & Wesson M&P 9
(Nothing special but since I got it In December, I shot about 2000 rounds through it and still counting.)

Reveal hidden contents

YOgg9fa.jpg

Next in December, my Friend came back to Ohio for a visit and he brought back a Heritage Rough Rider .22LR with the .22 Mag and that was one hell of a fun gun to shoot so I had to go out and buy myself one.

Reveal hidden contents

J1DBzpi.jpg

Next I came across a great deal for a AR-15 that I couldn't pass up. The Nikon P-223 was on it and came with 200 rounds of 5.56 to boot. SO I bought it since I always wanted an AR. This is an American Tactical. Really good quality for it.

Reveal hidden contents

b0lep1a.jpg
b0lep1a.jpg

For Christmas my parents bought me a Mossberg 835 with a red dot on it. Really nice gun and fun too shoot as well.

Reveal hidden contents

k3lMR5g.jpg
kSdFmiU.jpg
bOuHSog.jpg
5EiP12f.jpg

After that I went out and got my Concealed Carry Permit, and what better firearm to get than a Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Shield.

Reveal hidden contents

VsrYpAj.jpg
8mBInUu.jpg
PZG06W7.jpg
kbMaZks.jpg

After that I picked up another firearm, this time it was the Smith & Wesson M&PL 9 Pro Core series. 
(Just installed the Apex trigger system on it and it made such a big difference, that that 4lb trigger pull now. Next I am buying a threaded barrel from S&W for my pro so I can get a suppressor for it same with my AR I will be buying a suppressor for that as well.)

Reveal hidden contents

H5IG7Y9.jpg

wkZVaUM.jpg

LQAGBJ1.jpg

Now over the weekend I bit the bullet and got a Beretta 1301 Comp Shotgun yes this was $1000 for it but I really liked it and had to have it. I do not have pictures of this one yet but I will post them later on.

Right now I am looking at a Walther P1/P38 and still waiting for the right Luger P08 to come around before I buy it. In June I have the CMP by me so I will be buying a M1 Garand and a 1911 Military Surplus.

Very nice!

I hope you arent carrying your Shield with FMJ and just had those in for the pic. ;)

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Very nice!

I hope you arent carrying your Shield with FMJ and just had those in for the pic. ;)

Thanks, worked hard to obtain all of these.

My first week I use a FMJ but switched to the HP XTP from Hornady for my Shield.

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

Lately i have been looking for my first handgun that i can call my own. I'm 18 and live in Texas.  This would be used mostly as a truck gun and range shooter.   I want a full size handgun like a glock 17 or Beretta 92fs.  What do you guys reccomend for a first gun budget around 400-500?  Sadly due to the 1968 GCA i cannot purchase from ffl since im not 21, but legal to buy from private seller.

3 hours ago, Haswell_rasperry_pi said:

Lately i have been looking for my first handgun that i can call my own. I'm 18 and live in Texas.  This would be used mostly as a truck gun and range shooter.   I want a full size handgun like a glock 17 or Beretta 92fs.  What do you guys reccomend for a first gun budget around 400-500?  Sadly due to the 1968 GCA i cannot purchase from ffl since im not 21, but legal to buy from private seller.

Me personally I do not like Glocks (Far too uncomfortable for me and I shot many different Glocks) and it was too overrated but I prefer Sig Sauer or Smith & Wesson. The Sigs are far out of your price range but you can find a S&W M&P 9 for $450~550 new and is a good handgun to have, I own many S&W firearms and that company doesnt get the attention it deserves to have. Another good one to look into is the Springfield "XD" series but and they are still really nice to have. I would look into getting a 9mm since it is cheap to shoot a lot if you like to go to the range a few times a month. Also I shot the Beretta 92FS and I really like it, was super accurate but I only heard the reliability wasn't the greatest but I didn't care, it felt good to me and even looked good.

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

Well started to look at a Walther P-1 from Century Arms since they got some in, so I might end up getting one now.

72L_HG1074.jpg

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Poohy14 said:

Well started to look at a Walther P-1 from Century Arms since they got some in, so I might end up getting one now.

72L_HG1074.jpg

Such a beautiful handgun.