Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
9 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

I have a legit Korean War converted Arisaka chambered in .30-06, it is not for the faint of heart. Thankfully, it’s not a last ditch but it sucks so much to fire that I’ve only function tested it. Got it for a song from a shop that didn’t know what they had, and I didn’t either until I got it home and researched it.

You are a brave person to fire that....

Only ones around here I've seen for sale privately have been "sporterized" (aka butchered)

Apparently at one point in time these were so cheap, much like Mosins, that people figured "why not?" and did all kinds of horrible things to them.

Now they are all gone, or in the hands of collectors who want prime money to part with them.

Just having one as a shooter, is asking too much it seems.

Ditto on the Mosins (I've seen loons asking 1000$ for one with an archangel stock and a 10 round detachable magazine. I want to slap those people with a spoiled fish, repeatedly, for such abominations)

Haven't even looked for a Kar 98....I shudder to think what's out there. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

18 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

You are a brave person to fire that....

Only ones around here I've seen for sale privately have been "sporterized" (aka butchered)

Apparently at one point in time these were so cheap, much like Mosins, that people figured "why not?" and did all kinds of horrible things to them.

Now they are all gone, or in the hands of collectors who want prime money to part with them.

Just having one as a shooter, is asking too much it seems.

Ditto on the Mosins (I've seen loons asking 1000$ for one with an archangel stock and a 10 round detachable magazine. I want to slap those people with a spoiled fish, repeatedly, for such abominations)

Haven't even looked for a Kar 98....I shudder to think what's out there. 

Milsurps are getting pretty thin. I haven’t seen a good deal on any of them in years.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking about picking up a S&W 642 as my first firearm and concealed weapon. Leaning towards the 642 vs. Glock 43 because wanted something more streamlined and wheel gun reliability

2 minutes ago, Nine Tailed Fox said:

Thinking about picking up a S&W 642 as my first firearm and concealed weapon. Leaning towards the 642 vs. Glock 43 because wanted something more streamlined and wheel gun reliability

With a revolver, you’re stuck with 5 to 6 shots.  The glock 43, you have 6.  If you look at other popular, reliable, semi autos.  You have the S&W shield 2.0... you get a 7 and 8 round mag. With the 7 round mag it’s about the size of the 43.  Then there’s the Sig P365 and Springfield Hellcat, both are roughly the size of the Shield and 43, but the 365 carries 10 rounds 9mm, and the Hellcat 12.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

19 minutes ago, Nine Tailed Fox said:

There's a lot of emphasis on the reliability of revolvers, but I think to an extent it's not as relevant these days. I've re-timed several older revolvers and fit all the little hands and locks, and there are some very small pieces in there. S&W makes good revolvers, but they still have a lot of smaller parts in there. Something like a Glock with a titling breech lockup can be run very hard and function fine, there are no small parts like there would be in a revolver that are subjected to that type of stress if not cleaned and lubricated adequately.

I'd say personal preference for how each fits your hand would be more important though, because either one is going to be just fine in the long run unless you just neglect cleaning and lubricating them for very long periods of time.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

On 4/1/2020 at 3:52 PM, atxcyclist said:

Milsurps are getting pretty thin. I haven’t seen a good deal on any of them in years.

There is no such thing as good deals anymore.  Inflation and popularity along with import restrictions killed that off.  I used to get No1Mk3 Enfields for $99, my Yugo Sks was $99, paid $120 for my M-44 Mosin.  These days when you can find that stuff it's pricey.  The latest import "deals" if you wanted to call them that I have found on a new shipment coming into the states from Ethiopia.  https://www.royaltigerimports.com/category-s/1900.htm

The have m-1 carbines, enfields, lee-metfords, hakims, mosins and tons of mausers.

20 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

There is no such thing as good deals anymore.  Inflation and popularity along with import restrictions killed that off.  I used to get No1Mk3 Enfields for $99, my Yugo Sks was $99, paid $120 for my M-44 Mosin.  These days when you can find that stuff it's pricey.  The latest import "deals" if you wanted to call them that I have found on a new shipment coming into the states from Ethiopia.  https://www.royaltigerimports.com/category-s/1900.htm

The have m-1 carbines, enfields, lee-metfords, hakims, mosins and tons of mausers.

I'd love one of those antique Kar 88s, but not at $799. Stuff has gotten pricey.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

On 4/22/2020 at 11:09 AM, kaiju_wars said:

With a revolver, you’re stuck with 5 to 6 shots.

Not only that, but reloading is slower than with a semiautomatic.  That's my two primary issues with revolvers.  They may be fun to shoot (not sure, I've never had one), but I would never have one for my EDC.

On 4/22/2020 at 11:25 AM, atxcyclist said:

there are no small parts like there would be in a revolver that are subjected to that type of stress if not cleaned and lubricated adequately.

That reminds me, I need to clean my guns soon.  Maybe this weekend, when I have some time off.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

Not only that, but reloading is slower than with a semiautomatic.  That's my two primary issues with revolvers.  They may be fun to shoot (not sure, I've never had one), but I would never have one for my EDC.

That reminds me, I need to clean my guns soon.  Maybe this weekend, when I have some time off.

They are way fun to shoot, depending.  I would like to own a snub nose .38 just to own one.  But I doubt I'd carry it more than on the super rare occasion.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a mosin nagant sniper package for $1050. all matching besides scope mount.

Victor F. 

My hobbies include: machining, electronics, radiation, and guns

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

LAPTOP: Apple MacBook Pro i7, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd. (2018 model) 

CAMERA: Panasonic Lumix G85

PHONE: iPhone 7 

DRONE: Dji Mavic Pro

here's an older pick of my cz P09 and ar15

P1040327-2.jpg

Victor F. 

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

I swapped my stock and pistol grip and added a sling. I need to go take a new pic of it.

Victor F. 

I was considering getting a second rifle. Currently have the AK-47/AKM.
I've seen a lot of 5.56/.223 AR-15s jam on ranges, so I don't know that I'd go with that & G36 are stupid expensive. (anything over $1k is considered a ferrarri to me.) I saw some Colt manufactured AR-15/M4 so was considering maybe that'd be more reliable. At $999 vs $750~$799 I figured it'd be worth it to get the same one the military buys.

I was bouncing between a .50 Beowulf because even though it's an AR-15, it's a 50 cal.

I also was looking at some 308. Just browsing mostly. The AR-15 looking 308 are cool but... M1A/M14, G3 & FAL are so much more original in my opinion.
Any of you guys have any thoughts between the calibres? Any cool 308 rifles?

I was browsing some of the surplus rifles. Lots of cheap Caracinos. (Relatively cheap) a random $150 Mauser sent to like South America or something. Just wondering... is the ammo going to be produced for much longer or go up absurdly in price? I also like the WW2/Korean War M1 carbine but same concern with ammo prices.

Also, I got the Walther PPS M2. Thing is sooo comfortable in the hands. Just gotta wait for the permit to finish so I can get it in like 6 months haha. It only came with 2 mags though. Only the "military" version comes with 3.
PPQ was comfy too but rather large. Mossberg makes plastic magazines & I wasn't too into that. PPK was nice, but I saw a lot of people get slide bite, they're much more expensive & shoot a more expensive less powerful round. 1911 were out of the price range but I'd feel confident carrying cocked & locked.

2 minutes ago, fpo said:

I've seen a lot of 5.56/.223 AR-15s jam on ranges

Don't base your opinion on AR-15s with this alone, plenty of them work perfectly fine.

3 minutes ago, fpo said:

The AR-15 looking 308 are cool but... M1A/M14, G3 & FAL are so much more original in my opinion.

You mean AR-10? They're good too. So are FALs.

6 minutes ago, fpo said:

I saw some Colt manufactured AR-15/M4 so was considering maybe that'd be more reliable. At $999 vs $750~$799 I figured it'd be worth it to get the same one the military buys.

Colt is overpriced nowadays and the quality doesn't match what they ask for. I would look at Smith & Wesson, Sig, or Windham if you want a complete rifle.

A girl who loves to love.

1 minute ago, Aimi said:

Don't base your opinion on AR-15s with this alone, plenty of them work perfectly fine.

I did shoot my cousin's .223 AR-15 with 100 rounds of surplus brass case & it worked fine that day. Just like... every single other time I went to the range, someone with an AR-15 has some sort of malfunction.

1 minute ago, Aimi said:

You mean AR-10?

Yeah, I forgot the term.

1 minute ago, Aimi said:

They're good too. So are FALs.

Are FAL still manufactured or are they all surplus nowadays?

1 minute ago, Aimi said:

Colt is overpriced nowadays and the quality doesn't match what they ask for. I would look at Smith & Wesson, Sig, or Windham if you want a complete rifle.

Smith & Wesson's daughter company M&P makes an AR-15. Is it worth it? Somewhere in the $600~ range IIRC. They also make a .22LR AR-15 for like $250.

4 minutes ago, fpo said:

Just like... every single other time I went to the range, someone with an AR-15 has some sort of malfunction.

There's tons of different AR-15s being made, it's expected that cheaper ones out there don't work so well. You just have to know what you're buying.

5 minutes ago, fpo said:

Just like... every single other time I went to the range, someone with an AR-15 has some sort of malfunction.

FN stopped production years ago, but you can find plenty of FAL-style rifles around and I'm sure there are genuine parts floating around.

5 minutes ago, fpo said:

Smith & Wesson's daughter company M&P makes an AR-15. Is it worth it? Somewhere in the $600~ range IIRC. They also make a .22LR AR-15 for like $250.

M&P is a product line, but the M&P Sports are good quality. Don't bother with a .22 LR in AR-15 platform though, you're better off getting a Ruger 10/22 or similar.

A girl who loves to love.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a pair of ADM UIC upper receivers in this weekend to match my ADM UIC lowers.

20200514-194309-1.jpg

The one with the safety, mag release and grip is the SBR (already approved), and I think I'm going to do a receiver swap on my 16" LaRue build with the other set.

20200514-200432-1.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I loaded some appropriate .45-70 for my Springfield Trapdoor M1884 made in 1889.

4570.JPG

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

On 5/5/2020 at 9:07 AM, vf1000ride said:

A few of my old milsurps.  Collecting these things my only hobby more expensive than my computer obsession.

IMG_8458.JPG

Needs M1 Carbine and stick magazine Thompson

2 hours ago, Nine Tailed Fox said:

Needs M1 Carbine and stick magazine Thompson

I could only ever wish to be able to get the Thompson.  The M1 carbine is in the safe.  WWII issue made by Underwood typewriters.  I've got a fair number of the WWI and WWII greats.  One day I will have to take a group photo of the whole collection but it will probably put me on some government watch list for owning too many wood stocked bolt action rifles.  :)

IMG_5490.JPG

Getting ready for many hours in the garage next time I'm home!

Capture.PNG

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

My new Odin holster came in after about 8 weeks or so. I can finally retire the XC1 for being too anemic, and move up to the X300U.

Old GunCraft and XC1 setup:

20200526-183434-1.jpg

New Odin and X300U-A setup:

20200526-183539-1.jpg

The X300U carries as nice or maybe better than the XC1 did. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

My new Odin holster came in after about 8 weeks or so. I can finally retire the XC1 for being too anemic, and move up to the X300U.

Honestly, with me being a smaller guy the best holster I've found for my 23 is the clip draw. Replace backplate with one that is tapped for two screws, attach a belt clip like on knives and forget you even have it with you.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 hours ago, Voluspa said:

Honestly, with me being a smaller guy the best holster I've found for my 23 is the clip draw. Replace backplate with one that is tapped for two screws, attach a belt clip like on knives and forget you even have it with you.

I'm 5'10" and ~170lb, so not a big guy by any means. 

Personally I will not carry any "holster" that does not cover the trigger guard.