Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE

Off topic:

Years ago (okay, decades...) I had a Llama 1911 in .45 that was a "commander" model (which, IIRC was about 3/4 size of a normal one)

The trouble is I can't recall what that was actually called, anyone know? I'd like to get another one and searching by "commander model" doesn't really get me anywhere.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

39 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Off topic:

Years ago (okay, decades...) I had a Llama 1911 in .45 that was a "commander" model (which, IIRC was about 3/4 size of a normal one)

The trouble is I can't recall what that was actually called, anyone know? I'd like to get another one and searching by "commander model" doesn't really get me anywhere.

Try 1911 Officer.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Honestly i can't suggest a firearm for someone to carry. there are far too many that all have different traits that either make or break a firearm for a person. I would be remiss to say, Go buy this" or "go buy that". no no. Go TRY this. Go TRY that. Put 100 rounds through it. Pick up another one, do the same. Pay attention to the mechanics of the firearms and yourself. Figure it out DEFINITIVELY what you dislike about a particular firearm and aim to improve on that feature.

You will find one that fits your personal tastes, and if it's a $1000 handgun... honestly so be it. As DJ Muggs once said, "save yo money man..." Make sure what you start liking is reliable. like DEAD reliable, cuz if you need it and it malfunctions and it's a known malfunction... you're dead. ...and not airsoft "hit!" dead either. like, DEAD dead. or worse.

The point I'm making here is... take this endeavor very seriously. I've had to use lethal force before. It sucks, and the realization hits home fast and hard.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

f1mxmeqz7iz31.jpg

Saw this on reddit. Holy shit that's retarded.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

25 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

f1mxmeqz7iz31.jpg

When full-on Fudds run your range. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

14 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

f1mxmeqz7iz31.jpg

If that sign is legit, and I were a member, i'd draw out a D60 or several and bumpfire that mother effr until I ran dry. Such rules are only made for and desired by FUDDS. I would happily self terminate my membership by such means.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

5 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

If that sign is legit, and I were a member, i'd draw out a D60 or several and bumpfire that mother effr until I ran dry. Such rules are only made for and desired by FUDDS. I would happily self terminate my membership by such means.

Not my range. Posted on r/AR-15

I currently do not have a range. The last one I was a member of was an indoor place. Not bad, but I don't like indoor ranges for a variety of reasons.

Mainly the muzzle blast from other users caused me issues. Also I need more distance for my AR and my Savage 308.

Unfortunately, finding a 300 yard range in Virginia is like finding a virgin in Las Vegas or Thailand.

3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Not my range. Posted on r/AR-15

I currently do not have a range. The last one I was a member of was an indoor place. Not bad, but I don't like indoor ranges for a variety of reasons.

Mainly the muzzle blast from other users caused me issues. Also I need more distance for my AR and my Savage 308.

Unfortunately, finding a 300 yard range in Virginia is like finding a virgin in Las Vegas or Thailand.

That's rough, I don't care for indoor ranges either. I was a range safety officer at a club range for a while, and going to a public range with a bunch of nimnods sweeping me an NDing into the baffles is not a good time in my book. My friend has a ranch I hunt and target-shoot on, but it's pretty hilly around there and 300 yards isn't really possible. There's a 1000 yard range not that far from where I live, but that's a bunch of higher-end hardware and practice away from being worth the money.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

8 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

That's rough, I don't care for indoor ranges either. I was a range safety officer at a club range for a while, and going to a public range with a bunch of nimnods sweeping me an NDing into the baffles is not a good time in my book. My friend has a ranch I hunt and target-shoot on, but it's pretty hilly around there and 300 yards isn't really possible. There's a 1000 yard range not that far from where I live, but that's a bunch of higher-end hardware and practice away from being worth the money.

I just want something over 100 yards to let this Savage 308 stretch its legs. It's a seriously nice bolt action. Only downside is it only accepts 3 round mags. Aftermarket extended mags are like $75 a piece.

So I picked up an Italian 6.5 Carcano Cavalry Carbine. Sadly not 100% historically accurate.

I know the actual size of the ammo can be all over the map, so I took one of the Graf and Sons (made or modified by Hornady) rounds and put it in the end of the barrel, like so, and it doesn't seem to fit.

Should I be concerned?

361895.jpg

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

So I picked up an Italian 6.5 Carcano Cavalry Carbine. Sadly not 100% historically accurate.

I know the actual size of the ammo can be all over the map, so I took one of the Graf and Sons (made or modified by Hornady) rounds and put it in the end of the barrel, like so, and it doesn't seem to fit.

Should I be concerned?

361895.jpg

Actually, if you're doing that test you should see a bit of the bullet like that. That test is used to measure the distance between the rifling lands, older rifles and especially those that used corrosively-primed ammunition tend to be "shot-out" and would swallow most of the projectile to the case mouth. I know Carcano 6.5mm projectiles are different than the Mauser standard used in the 6.5x55 Swedish and every other 6.5mm cartridge since, but I'm sure Grafs or Hornady made them correctly. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

2 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

Actually, if you're doing that test you should see a bit of the bullet like that. That test is used to measure the distance between the rifling lands, older rifles and especially those that used corrosively-primed ammunition tend to be "shot-out" and would swallow most of the projectile to the case mouth. I know Carcano 6.5mm projectiles are different than the Mauser standard used in the 6.5x55 Swedish and every other 6.5mm cartridge since, but I'm sure Grafs or Hornady made them correctly. 

So the copper round will "compress" when fired out and this is nothing to worry about? I'd rather not get the bolt blown back into my skull

18 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

f1mxmeqz7iz31.jpg

I'm glad I'll be firing on private land this weekend, family owned.

Both of my long guns probably make any Fudd rage.

A girl who loves to love.

18 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

*SNIP*

Fudds gonna fudd. Lucky for me both of my local indoor and local outdoor host a ton of different shooting competitions from PRS to sporting clays to USPSA. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Because you can never be too safe, or something.

DB196370-6E24-4C0A-BA5A-8035A29885A4.thumb.jpeg.b5242d454de836642d684cb395312f32.jpeg

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

So the copper round will "compress" when fired out and this is nothing to worry about? I'd rather not get the bolt blown back into my skull

the correct word is OBTURATE. and to be perfectly honest, it will elongate, not compress.  the bullet diameter is .268 in 6.5 carcano, and the first hole they bore in the barrel is .262-ish. when they go to cut the rifling in the barrel, that groove size from wall to wall will be .268. because the rifling is smaller than the projectile diameter, something has to give. copper and lead will yeild much sooner than steel, so the projectile will obturate into the bore.

what you have to be concerned with is the actual cartridge specification. if it chambers hard, DO NOT SHOOT IT. the bolt should drop without use of excessive force (wrist pressure at most, or whatever you can muster using just your thumb). any more and you could have a head spacing issue which can cause excessive pressure and in most cases, a pierced primer sending hot gases rearward (safety glasses bro)

System specs:

On 11/19/2019 at 12:05 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Don't worry.  If you die, I'll tell the overseer you were a total hero.

......I've been playing too much Fallout Shelter.

18 hours ago, knightslugger said:

what you have to be concerned with is the actual cartridge specification. if it chambers hard, DO NOT SHOOT IT. the bolt should drop without use of excessive force (wrist pressure at most, or whatever you can muster using just your thumb). any more and you could have a head spacing issue which can cause excessive pressure and in most cases, a pierced primer sending hot gases rearward (safety glasses bro)

As a test last night, and since I don't have any en-bloc stripper clips yet, I loaded a single round into the breech, and closed the bolt, with little pressure (much smoother than my Mosin)

Then unbolted it and pulled back. the ejector grasping the round and flipping it out without issue.

5 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

As a test last night, and since I don't have any en-bloc stripper clips yet, I loaded a single round into the breech, and closed the bolt, with little pressure (much smoother than my Mosin)

Then unbolted it and pulled back. the ejector grasping the round and flipping it out without issue.

sounds like a great fit. go shoot it.

System specs:

8 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

sounds like a great fit. go shoot it.

I look forward to this.

Any idea (and this is a long shot) since the sights are fixed, I'd like to slap a scope on it, nothing fancy, but the main concern is the mounting hardware...any ideas what I could use?

14 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I look forward to this.

Any idea (and this is a long shot) since the sights are fixed, I'd like to slap a scope on it, nothing fancy, but the main concern is the mounting hardware...any ideas what I could use?

well it's a side mount scope rail, but you're gonna have to give me a little more info on the manufacturer.

System specs:

30 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I look forward to this.

I have an 1891 Argentine Mauser that I bought a scout scope mount for. Scope selection is a lot less, but it involves one screw and one pin to remove the rear sight, so no permanent modification. I have a Burris 2.75x on there, just waiting for the time to sight it in.

Check this company out and see if they have one that fits your particular model:

http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

29 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

well it's a side mount scope rail, but you're gonna have to give me a little more info on the manufacturer.

Sorry,

Italian 6.5 Carcano Cavalry Carbine

(ww2 era, they didn't change much, so I don't know exact manuf date)

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought a Wasr AK47 in the baby killing style.

Spoiler

Picture from online. Not showing my real one for privacy.

image.png.04d945e53d4d6a2ca79a4b7344fc57ce.png

What accessories (aside from magazines) would one put on it? I have the side rail so I can put a sight on it. What muzzle threaded things would one put on there? What does the existing one do? I don't need to be all tacticool with magpul stuff but I'm just curious because I'm so excited I got an ak.

Oh & btw, I got a bayonet. My state only lets me have 10 bullets & I got the fixed mag so like... what else am I supposed to do if I run out of ammo? Bayonet baddies xD

Spoiler
Spoiler

Same deal. Picture online. I have the same model with the "barbed wire cutter" with the sheath.

PS don't google sheith. It's ... nothing to do with the knife holder...

image.png.2c678e2581f6a3fb65bbdcdb7fe56f1e.png