Is my graphics card dead?

NotVeryTechSavy

Today I launch witcher 3, start playing for 5-7 min. and my computer crashes. On restart I get a blue screen. I then start up in safe mode, and I uninstall all my nvidia drivers. I start up normal and everything works fine. I get no blue screen or any crash. I then installed the newest nvidia drivers, restarted my computer and again I started getting a blue screen after every restart. I did the same steps as before and uninstalled the nvidia drivers and everything went to working fine. Yesterday and the day before that everything was working fine. The only thing that I recall changing was a windows update recently, besides that I didn't download anything or make any changes.

I have a GTX 560 that I had since November of 2011. I had absolutely no problems with this GPU, although it has dropped in performance, but that should be normal due to age.

I just need to know FOR SURE if my graphics card is dead before I order another one. Thanks in advanced.

btw this is my first time posting on linus forums, i have already been to 3 other forums and im just looking for some advice.

Dead card, BTW GPU's do not decrease in performance over time, drivers can become the killer of performance.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

Install an earlier version of your drivers, maybe even from the CD you got in-box.

Let me know how that goes

PS: Welcome!

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

Install an earlier version of your drivers, maybe even from the CD you got in-box.

Let me know how that goes

PS: Welcome!

ok so something interesting happened. I installed the drivers that came from my cd dated 3/20/2011. My pc started up and I didnt get a blue screen, but when it got to the desktop, i was still on 800x600 resolution and windows disabled my graphics card. It says in properties option device status "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" and under the resources tab it says "this device isn't using any resources because it has a problem." So i'm not really sure what to make of it what do you think?

also i forgot to mention while on bootup, theres a lot of weird pixels instead of where my bios options normally pops up. Like when you would see the option to hit f11 to enter the bios, i dont see that, its just a bunch of out of place pixels and a black screen. 

Probably Fermi being Fermi, you might have dry paste under the IHS. time to delid!

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Go back to older drivers, I've had problems like those with an old GTS-250 and newer drivers.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

ok so something interesting happened. I installed the drivers that came from my cd dated 3/20/2011. My pc started up and I didnt get a blue screen, but when it got to the desktop, i was still on 800x600 resolution and windows disabled my graphics card. It says in properties option device status "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" and under the resources tab it says "this device isn't using any resources because it has a problem." So i'm not really sure what to make of it what do you think?

also i forgot to mention while on bootup, theres a lot of weird pixels instead of where my bios options normally pops up. Like when you would see the option to hit f11 to enter the bios, i dont see that, its just a bunch of out of place pixels and a black screen. 

oh nvm dead card.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

is it overheating?

it was not overheating when i was playing yesterday, or any other time it was functioning.

oh nvm dead card.

how sure are u? cuz this thing is my baby i cant tell u the back breaking work i had to do to get my pc parts.

I had absolutely no problems with this GPU, although it has dropped in performance, but that should be normal due to age.

Performance doesn't just degrade due to age, that's not normal. That sounds like thermal throttling, or an early sign of failure.

(Of course, perceived performance degrades over time as you play newer and more demanding games, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're describing)

I know it's pretty old, but some manufacturers have warranties lasting quite a long time. If it had a 5 year warranty—which isn't unheard of—it may still be covered. If so, contact the manufacturer and ask about an RMA.

Performance doesn't just degrade due to age, that's not normal. That sounds like thermal throttling, or an early sign of failure.

(Of course, perceived performance degrades over time as you play newer and more demanding games, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're describing)

I know it's pretty old, but some manufacturers have warranties lasting quite a long time. If it had a 5 year warranty—which isn't unheard of—it may still be covered. If so, contact the manufacturer and ask about an RMA.

actually the warrenty was 3 years and i had this card for 3 1/2 so im kind of pissed about that. Dont think ill go EVGA again.

actually the warrenty was 3 years and i had this card for 3 1/2 so im kind of pissed about that. Dont think ill go EVGA again.

It can happen with any of them, no one has a failure rate of zero. Still, sorry to hear that.  :(