Why do Apple products REALLY suck?

Ratchet Miles

I recently bought a MacBook Pro because I wanted on OS that felt like Linux and worked like Linux without being crap, and still running plenty of software, and I actually quite like Mac OS X. I have been using Windows since I was 5, and when I switched just a week ago, I have been having a great time. I also have also had an iPod touch for 4 years, and have had an iPhone for nearly 2 years. I have used a few Android devices and watch a lot of Android phone reviews, and they're never anything worth making me switch back. I don't hate Android, but I would prefer iOS. Other than Apple's rather high price (for somewhat understood reasons), I don't see a reason to hate Apple products. I have noticed that there's a lot of hate against Apple.

TL;DR: I like Apple products, but what makes them bad or hated so much?

Feel free to give me your reasons.

Reasons that are excluded are: Price, popularity, and factory working conditions.

I already know some people may say that Apple copies from its competitors, which is true, but everyone copies everyone else. That's how competition works.

-Ratchet Miles

Mainly because the OS is usually the same or ports really. And their price to performance is shit

Overpriced

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Simple. Tim Cook. When Steve Jobs controlled Apple, the products that came out were truly innovative and they actually were GOOD. Now that he's kicked the bucket, Tim Cook keeps rolling out shit after shit.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Here's a copypaste from another thread asking what the pros/cons of an Apple handheld device was versus an Android one, I think the main points here still apply to their laptops, here ya go.

Pros of an Apple device: Sleek design, high resale value, lightweight/optimized operating system, many available peripherals on the market, seamless integration with iTunes and other Apple software, great cameras.

Cons of an Apple device: Lacking expandable memory and/or replaceable battery, expensive, under-powered specs for the price, little support for third party hardware/software, little customization.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

First things first:

Second thing: Apple went full retard as soon as Steve Jobs died. There is a reason he never wanted Apple devices to use a stylus or would have allowed the Apple watch to be sold in its current, shitty state (sound concept, however buggy AF).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Overpriced, outdated, out preformed, they do look slick according to fans though but looks mean little to me I only care about price and preformance

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

h8t3rz

nun yu hev the big MULAH,

$$$$$£££££€€€€€¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥£££££€€€€€$$$$$

( Dis me ) post-221908-0-61735200-1442029160.jpg

Honestly.. Mostly because of Eather the bandwagon or being overpriced. Yet the iPhone's and Galxies are all priced similar.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

The idea that Apple products suck is subjective.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Simple. Tim Cook. When Steve Jobs controlled Apple, the products that came out were truly innovative and they actually were GOOD. Now that he's kicked the bucket, Tim Cook keeps rolling out shit after shit.

this.

this.

every

freaking

much

this.

Here's a copypaste from another thread asking what the pros/cons of an Apple handheld device was versus an Android one, I think the main points here still apply to their laptops, here ya go.

Pros of an Apple device: Sleek design, high resale value, lightweight/optimized operating system, many available peripherals on the market, seamless integration with iTunes and other Apple software, great cameras.

Cons of an Apple device: Lacking expandable memory and/or replaceable battery, expensive, under-powered specs for the price, little support for third party hardware/software, little customization.

I can agree that the lack of swappable parts is a bit annoying, however, I feel that most of the price goes to the proprietary OS, build quality, and other small touches.

-Ratchet Miles

because 3d touch

Spoiler

Everyday build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960x - GPU(s): 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX2.0+ (SLI) - Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X99 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR4 4x8GB (2666MHz) - Storage: Intel 750 Series 1.2TB + 4TB WD Black - Case: Corsair 760T White - PSU: SeaSonic 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Wireless Adapter: TP-Link Archer T9E - Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB - Mouse(s): Corsair Gaming M65 RGB + Logitech MX Master - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WhyK99 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/474247-r8-my-build/

Weekend build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5930k - GPU(s): 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified ACX2.0+ (SLI) - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 - Motherboard: ASUS X99-Deluxe - RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 4x8GB (2666MHz) - Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 & 2TB Samsung 850 Evo - Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv - PSU: SeaSonic SnowSilent 1050W 80+ Platinum Certified - OS: Windows 10 Home - Monitor: Dell S2716DG 144hz - Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB - Mouse: Corsair Gaming M65 RGB - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YYK93C

this.

this.

every

freaking

much

this.

Aka, Apple went full retard after Steve Jobs died-(BTW-those with mental disabilities aren't retarded, people without them who do the stupidest shit are the definition of retarded).

PMSL

lol linux isn't shit. You may just be simple minded. General apple buyers

Linux is just a bit of an annoyance for me. I want something where I can get information and solutions quickly right now. I don't want to learn how to use an OS, I want to learn programming.

-Ratchet Miles

Linux is just a bit of an annoyance for me. I want something where I can get information and solutions quickly right now. I don't want to learn how to use an OS, I want to learn programming.

Get Arch Linux then. You could build your own OS.

PMSL

Apple products suck because they're overpriced and people only buy them because they want a no-nonsense. no frills computer for basic needs that looks good.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

The kernels are different, but also they are similar.  Linux uses the Linux kernel, and Apple's is far closer to Unix.  Their prices are ridiculous especially when they lack strong API support even with WINE you're running at least 5 API versions behind the current.  You can argue fanboy logics, but to me it's easier to have Windows and Linux.  However, to be fair more devs are making ported versions of SW for Apple's OSes then they used to it.  Even is happening more with gaming.  But, still there's certain sw that won't work even with WINE.  If you like it ya like, and I'm not gunna give you crap over purchasing their products.  But, it's just not for me.

I actually kinda hope that Metal will improve gaming on OS X a bit. I don't like to use WINE to be honest. If I want to do Windows-based tasks, I'll go use my desktop for that.

-Ratchet Miles

so, my personal hate for apple laptops comes from something very recent:

a friend of mine had a macbook pro, 16GB ram, all the toys.

a few issues:

- thing sitting idle, randomy 800% cpu usage (all cores maxed out i'm guessing)

- quite often the ram would fill up without reason, actually lagging the video production software he got the device for. (when your OS needs 12GB ram, something is wrong...)

- steam works... until apple "automatically fixed a broken executable" breaking the executable in the process... (renaming from .exe to .app)

now, all of this would probably tbe troubleshootable if OSX wasnt this beer-goggled experience thats basicly "something is wrong, i need to take it to apple"

some people prefer the beer-googled experience, because it hides the very complicated backend, some others prefer to see that backend and really be "in touch" with that backend. (thats where linux finds most of its fanbase, and also finds most of the scare for the regular ordinary user)

the unibody design is a choice, you pay more for a -honestly- really well built sleek looking laptop. the issue most people have with apple is that you are pretty much locked into an ecosystem.

that as well as just generally finding something to pick on to feel better. both sides know this one: people like to hate on apple users.

to the point where i've tried to get into a constructive conversation with an apple user, because i was legitimately curious, and he thought i was just out on spreading hate.

(well, the guy himself actually was up for it, the guy sitting next to him was the kind of douchebag that felt better because he had his own company, and thus he was superior.)

EDIT: i started writing this when there were 3 replies here... wall of text is wall of text...

Get Arch Linux then. You could build your own OS.

I'm not very advanced in regards to stuff like that at the moment. My central focus of study is game development.

-Ratchet Miles

I recently bought a MacBook Pro because I wanted on OS that felt like Linux and worked like Linux without being crap, and still running plenty of software, and I actually quite like Mac OS X. I have been using Windows since I was 5, and when I switched just a week ago, I have been having a great time. I also have also had an iPod touch for 4 years, and have had an iPhone for nearly 2 years. I have used a few Android devices and watch a lot of Android phone reviews, and they're never anything worth making me switch back. I don't hate Android, but I would prefer iOS. Other than Apple's rather high price (for somewhat understood reasons), I don't see a reason to hate Apple products. I have noticed that there's a lot of hate against Apple.

TL;DR: I like Apple products, but what makes them bad or hated so much?

Feel free to give me your reasons.

Reasons that are excluded are: Price, popularity, and factory working conditions.

I already know some people may say that Apple copies from its competitors, which is true, but everyone copies everyone else. That's how competition works.

they are like starbucks, a "premium product" not because they are good in any way but because they make the buyer feel good, some people will hate and some will love

edit: they are good for the people who like to feel good about a purchase

so, my personal hate for apple laptops comes from something very recent:

a friend of mine had a macbook pro, 16GB ram, all the toys.

a few issues:

- thing sitting idle, randomy 800% cpu usage (all cores maxed out i'm guessing)

- quite often the ram would fill up without reason, actually lagging the video production software he got the device for. (when your OS needs 12GB ram, something is wrong...)

- steam works... until apple "automatically fixed a broken executable" breaking the executable in the process... (renaming from .exe to .app)

now, all of this would probably tbe troubleshootable if OSX wasnt this beer-goggled experience thats basicly "something is wrong, i need to take it to apple"

some people prefer the beer-googled experience, because it hides the very complicated backend, some others prefer to see that backend and really be "in touch" with that backend. (thats where linux finds most of its fanbase, and also finds most of the scare for the regular ordinary user)

the unibody design is a choice, you pay more for a -honestly- really well built sleek looking laptop. the issue most people have with apple is that you are pretty much locked into an ecosystem.

that as well as just generally finding something to pick on to feel better. both sides know this one: people like to hate on apple users.

to the point where i've tried to get into a constructive conversation with an apple user, because i was legitimately curious, and he thought i was just out on spreading hate.

(well, the guy himself actually was up for it, the guy sitting next to him was the kind of douchebag that felt better because he had his own company, and thus he was superior.)

EDIT: i started writing this when there were 3 replies here... wall of text is wall of text...

Sorry you had a bad experience. I wish I knew the full story and whatnot. Maybe is was defective? Regardless, I personally don't feel that the OS is locked down, but that's with like, a week's experience. I guess I can form a proper opinion over time as things arise. As it currently stands, I haven't had any issues.

-Ratchet Miles

Same study as me.  I really don't like Apple products for development, and prefer mobile workstations with radeon or gtx mobile solutions for deving.  But, that's just me.

The $2500 MacBook Pro has a dedicated GPU. It may be rather anemic though. Can't check ATM since the Apple Store is preparing for preorders. I'd understand that you may want a good GPU for development, and something with stronger hardware though. Personally, I got a MacBook so I can properly port stuff and work with Metal in the future.

Best of luck on your endeavors though.

-Ratchet Miles

Sorry you had a bad experience. I wish I knew the full story and whatnot. Maybe is was defective? Regardless, I personally don't feel that the OS is locked down, but that's with like, a week's experience. I guess I can form a proper opinion over time as things arise. As it currently stands, I haven't had any issues.

well... said macbook was a few years old, and as with a windows install things kinda degrade over time. sadly apple is a tad too closed down to go in and optimize stuff.

(windows has ccleaner)

and i also know plenty of people that use their macbook just fine, but most of these arent power users.

--

in the end its personal preference. if all my software (and games, techically software, but still...) was linux compatible, i would have been on manjaro linux like... months ago.

i prefer to be in touch with my machine, i can listen to the sound my server makes, and based on that i know what it's doing, if it needs cleaning, or if something is wrong.

on the other hand, grandma would be genuinely confused if her computer told her "Xorg has encountered an error at line 658 in xorg.conf"

the idea behind linux is "a distro for everyone", we could drag windows and mac (and bsd, and all other oddities) into this, and say "an operating system for everyone"

each operating system is made with a specific customer in mind. if such a custommer uses the system he/she will be satisfied, if someone outside of that audience uses the system, he/she will be annoyed, or confused.

well... said macbook was a few years old, and as with a windows install things kinda degrade over time. sadly apple is a tad too closed down to go in and optimize stuff.

(windows has ccleaner)

and i also know plenty of people that use their macbook just fine, but most of these arent power users.

--

in the end its personal preference. if all my software (and games, techically software, but still...) was linux compatible, i would have been on manjaro linux like... months ago.

i prefer to be in touch with my machine, i can listen to the sound my server makes, and based on that i know what it's doing, if it needs cleaning, or if something is wrong.

on the other hand, grandma would be genuinely confused if her computer told her "Xorg has encountered an error at line 658 in xorg.conf"

the idea behind linux is "a distro for everyone", we could drag windows and mac (and bsd, and all other oddities) into this, and say "an operating system for everyone"

each operating system is made with a specific customer in mind. if such a custommer uses the system he/she will be satisfied, if someone outside of that audience uses the system, he/she will be annoyed, or confused.

I can't remember the exact times, but OSX still has the feature from Unix in it that automatically optimizes the OS. I think it was around 1-3PM. I haven't dealt with OSX since Leopard.

PMSL