AMD's Zen architecture will be late

zMeul

source: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20150910PD202.html

AMD's next-generation Zen architecture is expected to arrive in the fourth quarter of 2016 at the earliest, but sources from motherboard players are concerned that the late arrival of the new platform may put AMD in a rather difficult competitive position.

Seeing PC demand remaining weak and its server, embedded and tablet product shipments failing to achieve major growth, AMD reported losses of US$360 million for the first half of 2015.

The sources believe Zen architecture's late release is due to Globalfoundries' issues with R&D and yield rates for its 14nm FinFET manufacturing process.

The Zen architecture is expected to achieve a 40% improvement in performance compared to AMD's existing x86 architecture and will be able to support simultaneous multi-threading (SMT). The new architecture also adopts a new cache subsystem to boost CPU efficiency.

---

not only that, but it's known that Zen will 1st make an appearance on the server segment - that means it will arrive on desktop roughly in Q2 2017
oh AMD .. you so silly  ^_^

well shit that sucks, at least they will get a money boost if that rumor is true 

meanwhile, Intel moves to 10nm (apparently)

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

So, AMD's again, letting Intel dominate the market?

God they're going to need to make an extreme improvement on those chips....

Yeah....after news of bringing up "investment" which is basically buying out parts of the company and separating the GPU into a different company....I don't think Zen it's ever going to happen.

I think AMD is just trying to discretely move as much resources as it can back to ATI to sell that and then have the greatly diminished, asset-less CPU business part just die effectively side stepping the x86 licensing issues of just selling the company outright.

-------

Current Rig

-------

314.large.jpg

ktAuVfH.pngTW534.jpg

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

If they cant make any products for 2016 i dont think there will be any amd in 2017 anymore.Seriously they have no new products to sell on cpu market for years now.

They might do a paper launch in 2016, but well we will see.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

At this point I personally think AMD should invest all  their money in GPUs. They're CPUs have no future, as it is.

At this point I personally think AMD should invest all  their money in GPUs. They're CPUs have no future, as it is.

I have to agree. Use GPU market profits to restart the CPU market. But the worst part is that they only have 20-25% of the GPU market... And I don't know why though, compared to Nvidia they win in every price segment except highest end where Nvidia slightly wins (980Ti vs Fury X). :)

FANTASTIC.

No HBM APU till 2017 then....   

Guess one of those zboxes with a 860m will have to do as a NUC gaming pc.

Surprise, another negative AMD story from @zMeul. It depends on Samsung and GloFo I'm sure. Not much AMD can do about it, or any other for that matter.

Yeah....after news of bringing up "investment" which is basically buying out parts of the company and separating the GPU into a different company....I don't think Zen it's ever going to happen.

I think AMD is just trying to discretely move as much resources as it can back to ATI to sell that and then have the greatly diminished, asset-less CPU business part just die effectively side stepping the x86 licensing issues of just selling the company outright.

It's just an internal division change. Same company, same CEO. But means they can focus more on their graphics division for next gen consoles, VR and so on. It's a good thing and has nothing to do with selling anything to anyone. There is no such thing as ATI. It's AMD.

But there is one thing that is interesting, and that is x86. I wonder when that is going to get scrapped completely in favour of all floating point. Maybe AMD should focus on GPU's with a small integer unit on it instead. They beat everything Intel has on fpoint anyways.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I have to agree. Use GPU market profits to restart the CPU market. But the worst part is that they only have 20-25% of the GPU market... And I don't know why though, compared to Nvidia they win in every price segment except highest end where Nvidia slightly wins (980Ti vs Fury X). :)

Reputation. Nvidia has been more reliable and better performing most of the time. And even in current market Nvidia are not behind AMD in price/performance, but they provide nice things like Shadowplay, Shield.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

God damn it.  I bet new GPUs from AMD will be delayed too   :(

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

I wonder What bright mind at amd had that idea  :lol:

Core i7 2600, Gigabyte GTX 570, Asus P8Z68-V LX, 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston ValueRam, CoolerMaster 600Watt PSU

Because fanboys, and also because Intel has a lot of the GPU share.

Coincidentally they just made GPUs a separate division, which is why I said Zen is not gonna happen they're just gonna downsize to GPU business only.

-------

Current Rig

-------

So by the time it comes to market is going to be 6 years behind Intel, wow AMD you managed to go right back to where you were with the FX line.

They went backwards xD Now its even worse.

Intel HQ :

More like

giphy.gif

Spoiler

Well, what's an extra few months on six years? They've still at least got one guaranteed sale for me, because hell will have to reach crygenic temperatures before I ever switch to Intel...

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

meanwhile, Intel moves to 10nm (apparently)

i heard that was delayed they releasing 14nm kabylake or whatever next year then 2017 for cannonlake

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85