Verizon fios need some help please extending wifi. Out of options no clue what to do.

Bishop235

Hey everyone, i really need some help, and i know you guys are much more knowledgeable than i am about networking. I have verizon fios, i have the white box thing in my basement that they installed, i currently have TV, phone, and internet. I own a very good router, an asus router that i want to use, but apparently my setup from verizon is "coax" not ethernet at least that is what i was told. I am forced atm to use the verizon modem/router combo that they gave me when i got the service, and it does not allow me to connect my router to it, it will not receive a connection at all when it is plugged into the verizon modem. The problem is the verizon modem is to weak to reach my entire house with decent wifi speeds but my router that i own is pretty strong and used to reach the entire house with no issue. How can i get my router to work with this setup? Is there anything i need or have to buy? I really need some decent wifi and this is a huge issue for me atm.

-SNIP-

You can just connect to the modem/router unit via ethernet to your own router and not use any of their stuff, just remember to disable to wifi from their hardware.

im pretty sure that you can pluf the router in from your other router. i might not be right and i agree it really sucks

~ Maybe the cup is just too big ~

make sure the decent router is set to a different subnet (if the isp box is set to 192.168.0.x set yours to 192.168.1.x, and so on)

then just plug the wan of your decent router in the lan of your isp's box.

Thats the problem, i have tried plugging in my router into the WAN and it still doesnt pick up any signal. From doing research apparently Verizon does not use Ethernet they use coax which disables the ethernet and id have to call verizon to get it changed but i wanted to ask you guys if there was any work around.

Thats the problem, i have tried plugging in my router into the WAN and it still doesnt pick up any signal. From doing research apparently Verizon does not use Ethernet they use coax which disables the ethernet and id have to call verizon to get it changed but i wanted to ask you guys if there was any work around.

It's normal for the modem input signal to be coax and the output to be ethernet you plug into the ethernet of their modem/router and connect it to which ever router you want at that point. It has to go through the modem first they just combine it into a modem/router unit to save money than having them separate. 

Just so you know even when you use ethernet WAN all your STB's need the coax to be plugged in so they can receive guide data and make PPV and VOD purchases

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

It sounds like you connected it wrong. On the verizon gateway router, you can't connect to the ethernet WAN port with anything, because the coax WAN port is in use. But you can connect any device to the LAN ports of the gateway router. Try connecting the WAN of your router to a LAN port of the verizon one. (LAN ports are the ones you would plug a computer into)

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: