Robert Hallock: 'Vast Majority of DX12 Titles In 2015/2016 Are Partnering With AMD'

HKZeroFive

AMD-DX12.jpg

AMD's Robert Hallock recently commented that the vast majority of upcoming DX12 games will be partnered with AMD:

You will find that the vast majority of DX12 titles in 2015/2016 are partnering with AMD. Mantle taught the development world how to work with a low-level API, the consoles use AMD and low-level APIs, and now those seeds are bearing fruit.

This could mean a number of things, from just AMD trying to promote DX12 in their marketing or helping intergrate their software (especially their DX12 support) into these particular games.

Moreover, this further emphasises AMD's focus on DX12, as we can notably see in the Asynchronous Compute controversy, and could possibly mean a significant performance gain over NVIDIA cards.

Now, to address the elephant in the room - Will this partnership with AMD provoke some sort of bias towards AMD, and leave NVIDIA cards performing lacklustre in comparison?

AMD doesn't particularly seem to be anti-competitive, as we can see in the Oxide developer's post on how they did not object to working with NVIDIA to implement DX12 over the summer. But time will tell, and I sincerely hope that AMD, despite their current financial status, will allow NVIDIA cards to perform to the best of their capabilities in these partnered DX12 titles.

Yes, there is still the question of what these 'exclusive titles' are specifically (aside from Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Ashes of the Singularity) but it looks like AMD might have DX12 as their means of regaining their past glory.

Sauce: https://www.reddit.com/r/AdvancedMicroDevices/comments/3iwn74/kollock_oxide_games_made_a_post_discussing_dx12/cuom7cc

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I'm ok with this.

Crap.

Remembered I have a GTX 780.

I really hope this let's AMD gain some cash. They need it lol

The engine roars but then it gives, but never dies

We don't live we just survive

On the scraps that you throw awaaaaaay

Good to see, I hope AMD make it back to about 40ish% of the market share someday.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

It's about time.The last AMD sponsored games that I remember playing are from 2012-2013 I think.

Still AMD, don't ruin it for everyone. If you have stuff that doesn't run well on Nvidia hardware, at least give an option to the user to disable it. You can disable most Nvidia features in games that use Gameworks.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

That's real fracking neato. Nvidia had a nice little run where they were dominating, and now its finally AMD's turn. The back and forth is necessary for innovation. Let's just hope this streak lasts long enough for AMD to recoup some of the cash and market share they lost.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

TressFX 2.0 will be interesting on Deus Ex. I remember reading about the LOD they'd used for it to increase performance.

Good for me on 290X CFX, but in recent memory I can think of any games that gimped Nvidia hardware, Tombraider is a maybe but it runs better on Nvidia with TressFX enabled than it does on AMD hardware

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Can't wait to see Nvidia's and their fan's responses to this lol.

I am fine with this, competition is best for the customers, I am a customer, AMD doing well is good for me too, even though I just got a 970

i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz 1.37v, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid, Asus z370-A Prime

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

NZXT H440 White, Corsair H100i GTX v2, EVGA 750G2

Corsair AF140 x1, Corsair SP120 x2, Noctua Industrial 3000 RPM x3

Will this partnership with AMD provoke some sort of bias towards AMD, and leave NVIDIA cards performing lacklustre in comparison?

I don't see why that would be bad. NVIDIA has been doing it and got away with it.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

all i can say is its about damn time they got into the game again

this explains the silence from AMD then, they couldnt really say much about any of this. Im happy for them even though im got nvidia now. Seriously they need this big time.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I wonder if this is going to matter, or we'll just see the AMD logo when opening the game.

Still, i don't know what they mean by this, means there will be some games that are going to be unplayeable with Nvidia? Means AMD games will just run better and nvidia won't be affected? How many games are they referring to? Are they even games that matter?

Idk, i am happy if amd starts doing good because my brother and friends have AMD, but they have been promissing lots of wonderful stuff that ends up being just normal stuff, starting with the all might FuryX that was supposed to tear up everything and is barely equal to it's nvidia competitor. Then we see benchmarks of AMD doing awesome in DX12 but still being behind nvidia, and performing utterly bad in DX11.

I'd rather be negative about this, and then be surprised. Than getting excited and being let down.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

Some hope for AMD? Giggity. They'd better not fuck it up, tho

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Haha get rekt nvidia. But seriously AMD needs some serious market share right now they are losing significantly.

good. I'm currently using an Nvidia card and AMD needs the publicity and market share if they want to survive

Good news on AMD's part and to ours also. Hopefully my 290 can still game till Q4 of 2016 or Q2 of 2017.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

I fail to see how this matters at all. It's been years since an AMD-optimized title ran any worse on a green video card..

If you were to tell me all the DX12 titles in 2016 are TWIMTBP then this might be notable because AMD graphics card users might not be able to take advantage of proprietary stuff like hardware PhysX or Hairworks or whatever..

edit: side note.. does NVIDIA even call it The Way It's Meant To Be Played anymore? :P

As someone buying a R9 390 later this year, this is nice to hear.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Great. Now if only asian mmos could stop partnering up with Nvidia all the time  :rolleyes:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Great. Now if only asian mmos could stop partnering up with Nvidia all the time  :rolleyes:

Yea I see this all the damn time, would be great to see some red team mmos.

Guys calm your tits...this doesn't mean games will run magically better on AMD.

But what it could mean, based on previous "AMD optimized titles"(Tomb Raider), is that they will be better optimized overall and will have less(to none) proprietary crap.

That...is GOOD.

P.S.

Looks like we have the first WAN show topic here?

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Yea I see this all the damn time, would be great to see some red team mmos.

We're still lucky that not all mmos have physx and try to shove in down our throats *ahem* *Monster Hunter Online*.  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

This, right now, is public grandstanding. Of course they'll have game partners. Why wouldn't they? Gaming Evolved or w/e it's called isn't dying out, AMD just struggles to get developers to use their packages and it's no wonder why. Game works is packaged into engines themselves and comes with a boatload of backend support, small wonder that Devs use them.

I'm just curious what the public reaction will be. Is it okay for AMD to push their program because they're underdogs and they need the business? Shouldn't we treat them equally and deride their services entirely, just like Gameworks? Just sayin.

I don't see why that would be bad. NVIDIA has been doing it and got away with it.

Nvidia GameWorks was the reason I gave my GTX 760 to my brother for free and bought a used 290x.

I felt dirty.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.