deceptive reviews and shoddy advertisement practices being cracked down on in youtube re Machinima/xbox 1

nunya bus

so I have been trying to get Linus and Luke to start acknowledging the boundaries at which their company/ channel needs to start disclosing wheather they are paid for their videos by the products or the companies that get them to review the products. in exchange for free hardware/software. or any exchange of goods for the reviews LTT does. 

some very interesting things have happened last few days regarding this 
The FCC and the FTC publicly branded Machinima for participating in deceptive ad practices pertaining to the Xbox 1 launch. 
where they got the reviewers to make videos abt Xbox 1. and imposed limits and restrictions on what could be said etc. and also compensated them for every 1,000 views. 

This reveals a very dark spot in the review world. One that I have become increasingly frustrated with. 
Because Im subscribed to Jay, Linus, Hardware Cunucks. pauls hardware etc. And the other week. I had 5 videos in a row reviewing the exact same case. 

It's clear the marketing teams of the companies have purchased spots on these channels before launch, and had them review it. 

except. They were all paid for the reviews. This is illegal. Its not allowed in real television, and most people dont know this. but the FCC and FTC rule it on the internet as well. 

The issues I have with this are clear. The channel exposure for LTT is HUGE. and to companies Linus and Luke are called "influencers" in the marketing world. Because when they have something to say. The audience will base their decisions off of what these guys and other youtubers etc have to say. 

This is what we call a "CONFLICT OF INTEREST" 

And I must say I have been getting lots of ridicule on the LTT youtube comments about it. however this weeks ruling by the FTC AND FCC show that this practice is not to be done anymore. And youtube and the FCC/FTC have pledged to start going after influencers that do this sort of thing. 

The issue comes to disclosure. 
take the GPU boost video just done. 
Luke mentions that Nvidia gave them 6 Titan X's for their workstations. and LTT have done numerous reviews for Nvidia hardware. 
It may not be relevant in this video. But how are we to know if they are being paid to make these or they are just doing it. WE DONT 
And  this is where the lines are mudded up. 

this needs to change and it will as the relevant authorities are now as I said cracking down on it. 

And I must say that. in the GPU video launched today. I am seeing a lot of backlash regarding the way this channel has become. 
every video is just endless infomercials. and done in a terrible way. 
first 20 seconds is an advertisement. followed by the paid/unpaid "review" followed by more ad to close the show 

I really hope Linus sees this, and starts to address it because we need to have disclosure. about exactly why the "review is being done'
it should be disclosed if they keep the product after the review. If they were paid to make the review. or it was done in exchange for any favours . 
Because how are we to know. especially in  such a field where reviews really influence someone's purchase of a product or not. 

TL;DR: Loominarty controls reviews

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

TL;DR: Loominarty controls reviews

actually its the opposite. the company paying or exchanging goods is controlling the reviews. and that essentially means, they aren't reviews. they are deceptive ads 

actually its the opposite. the company paying or exchanging goods is controlling the reviews. and that essentially means, they aren't reviews. they are deceptive ads 

just like when linus ripped on the apple watch.

OR rips on almost any product that is truly bad.,

They may pay him, but its still his honest opinion 

TL;DR

This is a long ass post about people getting paid to review shit or keep said shit after a review... And how the FCC is cracking down on some stuff which somehow affects Linus and his group over in Canada... Or something along those lines anyway...

The bottom line is, if they mention that stuff, then they mention it, if not, they don't. Don't trust LMG's reviews? Don't count them as credible reviews, same applies to any other reviewer. 

just like when linus ripped on the apple watch.

OR rips on almost any product that is truly bad.,

They may pay him, but its still his honest opinion 

well we all know that apple dont give linus anything. but Nvidia and intel do. So how are we to know exactly where their loyalties lie. Its a huge disclosure issue. for people of influence 

TL;DR

This is a long ass post about people getting paid to review shit or keep said shit after a review... And how the FCC is cracking down on some stuff which somehow affects Linus and his group over in Canada... Or something along those lines anyway...

The bottom line is, if they mention that stuff, then they mention it, if not, they don't. Don't trust LMG's reviews? Don't count them as credible reviews, same applies to any other reviewer. 

if you read youtube policies you are subject to US laws because its a US company. so please use brain a bit more sir 

and yes all they have to do is disclose. if they are being paid, or if theyy got free stuff. 

but they wont. because that takes the credability away. 

well we all know that apple dont give linus anything. but Nvidia and intel do. So how are we to know exactly where their loyalties lie. Its a huge disclosure issue. for people of influence 

from the reviews i have seen any fanboy ism.

its not like AMD has anything to offer linus.

AMD did send Linus a r9 nano. ssoo

i can already name pros that he willl say

its small

its great for itx builds, and HTPC

cons

its loud

heat

from the reviews i have seen any fanboy ism.

its not like AMD has anything to offer linus.

AMD did send Linus a r9 nano. ssoo

i can already name pros that he willl say

its small

its great for itx builds, and HTPC

cons

its loud

heat

The thing is Linus was given Keepers of the Fury, the Fury X and now a Nano. so that is what 2,000 bucks worth of hardware. 

that needs to be disclosed. 

Lukes excuse for keeping it is. I need them to do comparisons. well if thats the case. Databases be damned. and who needs Harddrives to save the exact same results. 

The thing is Linus was given Keepers of the Fury, the Fury X and now a Nano. so that is what 2,000 bucks worth of hardware. 

Lukes excuse for keeping it is. I need them to do comparisons. well if thats the case. Databases be damned. and who needs Harddrives to save the exact same results. 

why does it matter if they were given it to keep or to be lent, and sent off.

Really. 

6 Titan X's is how much? Not to mention all the titan blacks, quadros, motherboards, Zeons, Hawell-E's All the stuff is given to them. and its a huge issue. he probably has 1 million bucks worth of inventory in excahnge for the reviews. thats a HUGE FUCKING DEAL 

if you read youtube policies you are subject to US laws because its a US company. so please use brain a bit more sir

Care to show us said policy? Can't say I've seen it anywhere...

Really. 

6 Titan X's is how much? Not to mention all the titan blacks, quadros, motherboards, Zeons, Hawell-E's All the stuff is given to them. and its a huge issue. he probably has 1 million bucks worth of inventory in excahnge for the reviews. thats a HUGE FUCKING DEAL 

so?

Because let's use are heads for a second. You get approached by Nvidia or intel and given a product to keep. All they ask for is you to make a video about said product and maybe you'll get more in the future. They don't say you HAVE to give it a good review. But what would your mind say? Wow I just got this new top of the line card from these guys. I'd love to get more stuff from them! Maybe I should go a little easy on them when I review this as I don't think they'd like it if I slam the product. They might not give me another in the future if I totally rip this one. See where this goes??? While they don't say how you need to review the product the fact you get it for free does have an effect on your mind set. It's human nature and not some shady practice. With that being said though yes it can turn shady because the company knows that they can use free products to get positive reviews.

Didn't you see linus bash on intel (skylake) for the marginally preforamnce?

Yes I did, I'm not saying that linus is doing this by any means. As a reviewer wouldn't you want to be 100% open with your viewers and say yeah they have given us this product to keep. To me I'd have more respect for the review if the person bashes the shit outta the product as my guess was the company gave them the free sample thinking it would sway the review a little. Kinda yeah I got it for free but it's still a piece of shit and I'm not gonna hide that.

Yes I did, I'm not saying that linus is doing this by any means. As a reviewer wouldn't you want to be 100% open with your viewers and say yeah they have given us this product to keep. To me I'd have more respect for the review if the person bashes the shit outta the product as my guess was the company gave them the free sample thinking it would sway the review a little. Kinda yeah I got it for free but it's still a piece of shit and I'm not gonna hide that.

(im just playing devils advocate here)

but  on the wan show they do talk about occasionally which stuff they get to keep and which stuff is just being lent. 

and don't thinkt they are just rollling in $$$

Linus had said company almost died once.

and the new office really hit their bank account.

but on the wan show they do talk about occasionally which stuff they get to keep and which stuff is just being lent.

and don't thinkt they are just rollling in $$$

Linus had said company almost died once.

and the new office really hit their bank account.

Yes but that needs to be disclosed in the video according to the FTC. TotalBiscuit did a video about this a few days ago that really explains the argument well.

*grabs popcorn and watches

But ya I get your point and that's why I never usually judge decisions off of big youtubers in general.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Luke's excuse is that if the workbench changes it's configuration, he needs to redo each card all over again. Those results in that database mean jack, if the configuration changes. So that's not an excuse..in fact that's making sure that the results are fair.. ironic when your whole argument is that their reviews may be inaccurate because they get shit sent for free. 

Why does it need to be disclosed? He mentions it, as does Luke: Gigabyte sent us.. Nvidia sent us.. In-fact most of the time it's obvious.. 

Remember the 970's? They got quite a bit of brand names. 

And most of the tech reviewers have their thing paid for, he has lunch with the RAZER ceo and still if something is lacking in a razer product, he comes down on it...in fact he has done that multiple times. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Really. 

It's simple. If you don't think his reviews are credible, then don't watch them. We all know what this channel (and every other for that matter) should do, we know it reduces their credibility if they don't mention it (albeit to varying degrees going from person to person). 

You could report him, but what's that going to gain? It's not like the products he recommends are bad, if they were, people wouldn't watch the channel. Linus may be listening, I hope he is, because disclosure means more credibility. But what if he isn't?

Just don't shit on everyone else's opinion.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

but  on the wan show they do talk about occasionally which stuff they get to keep and which stuff is just being lent. 

^^ This

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Big gaming youtubers at one point got review copies of games. I think they still do.

Is this no different than tech youtubers being sent hardware to review? Sometimes they keep, sometimes they don't. 

I might be misinterpreting this wholly, but that's what comes to mind.

I hope you realize that most tech reviewers do get sent a lot of their review products yes, not a big deal since most  (all that I know of) will give an honest review. They do not get paid to review a product that is not how it works. You see ads on videos for sponsors, they are clearly ads. Tech reviews are pretty good about being up front about what it is. And of course they get products for free, that is often how most reviews are done. There does not need to be a disclaimer or anything.