First Build Compatibility, Pricing, and Information. Help needed!

Precipitar
Go to solution Solved by Precipitar,

Final Build, We did it guys!!!! Thank you all so much for the help, it is greatly appreciated, like seriously =D.

Please feel free to comment and keep the suggestions coming, all new information and advice is always welcome.

Final Build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K, http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=27941

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-K, http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1150/54772-Z97-K

GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB, http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=29086

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 2x4GB DDR3 1866MHz, http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=27402 

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=30448

HDD: WD Blue 1TB Sata 3 7200RPM, http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21231

Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBKS 16x Blu-Ray, http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=31876

PSU: SeaSonic S12G 80+ Gold 650W, http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=30963

Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1, http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=31404

PC Part Picker Full List (Link May Not Work): http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/Qg2BnQ

Hi all, I am a little newbie rising up in the world of computers. I have decided to buy my very first custom built PC but i need a lot of help, advice, and information. Would appreciate any help or advice given.

First of all my planned build:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

This includes (In case the link does not work or for lazy people who do not want to click the link =P):

- Intel Core i5 4690k Processor

- Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK ATX Motherboard (May need to change for cases front USB)

- G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 2X4GB RAM

- OCZ Trion 100 240GB SSD 2.5"

- WD 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hard Drive

- MSI GeForce GTX 970 Graphics Card

- Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 ATX Mid-Case

- EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze ATX Power Supply (Would like information about other power supplies i could use)

- The Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse have already been set decided,\. Monitor will be connected using HDMI or DVI, depending on which is better performance. I will be using an already bought Mouse and Keyboard.

There are a few bits of information and advice i would be very appreciative of.

Firstly, Is this all compatible (Yes i know PC Part picker says it is)?

Secondly, The motherboard only has 2 x USB 3.0 Slots for front of the case, while the case has 2 x 2.0 and 2 x 3.0. Does this mean if i use this motherboard i won't be able to use the 2 x 2.0? If not, are there any alternative Motherboards at the same size (ATX), Specs and compatibility with both 2 x 3.0 and 2 x 2.0?

Thirdly, Is there anything in my PC Part List that could be substituted for cheaper parts without affecting the overall performance?

Fourthly, Any other additional information about this build, how it will work, things i need to look out for, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced, Really helps me out a lot.

Do you plan on overclocking? No need for an unlocked CPU if you don't know how to do it etc. or just don't want to

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1. Yes, it is.

2. No, it means it has two USB 3.0 headers. Basically, you could have two USB 3.0 front panel bays and still be able to connect them. All of the front USB ports will work and have enough connections. 

3. I will cover that in a second

4. I will also cover that in a second. 

You need to use the permalink from PCPP. The URL you gave us just takes us to our own builds. 

The only thing I would really change is the PSU. 750W is overkill for this build, you'd be better off going with a lower wattage, better quality one. A SeaSonic SSR-550RM is a good choice. 

The list is empty

ORZ Trion isn't as good as the bx100 according to pcper reviews, I'd rather go with the BX.

The R9 390 usually slighty outperforms the 970, so I'd get that.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

SNIP
  1. the pc part picker link you posted doesn't work for me. try posting it again. use the bbcode format
  2. you will be able to use both the 2.0 and the 3.0 ports with your motherboard, don't worry. there should be headers for both the usb 2.0 ports and the 3.0 ports. someone correct me if i'm wrong
  3. avoid the gigabyte board for overclocking. it won't let you set adaptive mode for your cache ratio and vring. get an asrock, msi, or asus
  4. for the ssd, get an ssd plus, ssd370, bx100, or an 850 evo instead
  5. get the r9 390 as it outperforms the 970 in gaming benchmarks
  6. evga psu's are good; the best ones are the gs and g2 series. seasonic is also very good. some of the higher end corsair units (not cx) are also good. xfx makes good psu's as well. same with superflower
  7. if you're buying a monitor for gaming, get a 1ms and 144 hertz monitor with the r9 390. 1ms makes a big difference and the 144 hertz must be purchased if you want higher framerates than 60 fps, which you will get in 1080p with the r9 390
  8. what is your budget in AUD?

edit:

make sure you get an r9 390 that is NOT voltage locked so that you can overclock it to its maximum potential

BigDay

Please put the Permalink in, you used the wrong link

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($359.00 @ Centre Com)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.00 @ IJK)
Motherboard: MSI Z170 Krait Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($109.00 @ CPL Online)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.00 @ IJK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($70.00 @ IJK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($518.00 @ PLE Computers)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($95.00 @ Centre Com)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.00 @ CPL Online)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($435.00 @ IJK)
Total: $1903.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-31 22:52 AEST+1000

BigDay

Hi all, I am a little newbie rising up in the world of computers. I have decided to buy my very first custom built PC but i need a lot of help, advice, and information. Would appreciate any help or advice given.

First of all my planned build:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

This includes (In case the link does not work or for lazy people who do not want to click the link =P):

- Intel Core i5 4690k Processor

- Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK ATX Motherboard (May need to change for cases front USB)

- G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 2X4GB RAM

- OCZ Trion 100 240GB SSD 2.5"

- WD 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hard Drive

- MSI GeForce GTX 970 Graphics Card

- Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 ATX Mid-Case

- EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze ATX Power Supply (Would like information about other power supplies i could use)

- The Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse have already been set decided,\. Monitor will be connected using HDMI or DVI, depending on which is better performance. I will be using an already bought Mouse and Keyboard.

There are a few bits of information and advice i would be very appreciative of.

Firstly, Is this all compatible (Yes i know PC Part picker says it is)?

Secondly, The motherboard only has 2 x USB 3.0 Slots for front of the case, while the case has 2 x 2.0 and 2 x 3.0. Does this mean if i use this motherboard i won't be able to use the 2 x 2.0? If not, are there any alternative Motherboards at the same size (ATX), Specs and compatibility with both 2 x 3.0 and 2 x 2.0?

Thirdly, Is there anything in my PC Part List that could be substituted for cheaper parts without affecting the overall performance?

Fourthly, Any other additional information about this build, how it will work, things i need to look out for, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced, Really helps me out a lot.

The build looks excellent.  I don't think, however, you will need a PSU of that high a wattage.  maybe step down to 600 watts to save a few pennies? Also, the R9 390 would be a good alternative to the GTX 970 (depends on whether you like team green, with Game stream, G-Sync, Geforce Experience, etc, or team red, with Freesync, mantle (which is dead), eyefinity, trueaudio, etc.).  Their performance is so similar in benchmarks that it really depends on which way you want to sway.  I THINK there is a way to plug a USB 2 header into a USB 3 board and have it operate, but I'm not sure...

Here is a good PSU that might save you some: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100b10500kr

The build if I did it: 

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/PXpDgs

Only now am I appreciating how much more expensive components are in places besides North America...  If you have a buddy living in the US or Canada, have him buy the parts and mail them, then pay him back.  It might save you some money (but shipping can be an ***).

Do you plan on overclocking? No need for an unlocked CPU if you don't know how to do it etc. or just don't want to

Thankyou for the fast reply. It is a future plan, but all depends on the gaming experience etc. Budget isnt an issue but obviously would much rather have the build cheaper, so i don't mind spending a bit more for an unlocked processor.

Thanks again for the reply

1. Yes, it is.

2. No, it means it has two USB 3.0 headers. Basically, you could have two USB 3.0 front panel bays and still be able to connect them. All of the front USB ports will work and have enough connections. 

You need to use the permalink from PCPP. The URL you gave us just takes us to our own builds. 

The only thing I would really change is the PSU. 750W is overkill for this build, you'd be better off going with a lower wattage, better quality one. A SeaSonic SSR-550RM is a good choice. 

Thankyou for the fast reply really appreciate it.

1. Thankyou good to know =D

2. So basically in short it means that all 4 USB's at front and back will be fully operational at all times together? i'm really glad to hear this as i've taken a fancy to the motherboard =D

3. Thankyou really would appreciate it =D

4. ^

Also sorry about the link i thought it was the perma link, will try again =/

Permalink: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/8MDngs

Normal URL (Just In Case): https://au.pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

1. Yes, it is.

Also thankyou for the suggestion of power supply, i was thinking it was overkill but still was unsure, will the SeaSonic allow room for upgrade, maybe to an i7 in the future?

Thankyou for the fast reply really appreciate it.

1. Thankyou good to know =D

2. So basically in short it means that all 4 USB's at front and back will be fully operational at all times together? i'm really glad to hear this as i've taken a fancy to the motherboard =D

3. Thankyou really would appreciate it =D

4. ^

Also sorry about the link i thought it was the perma link, will try again =/

Permalink: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/8MDngs

Normal URL (Just In Case): https://au.pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

2. Yes, they will all work. 

I changed a few things 

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($341.00 @ Scorptec) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($279.00 @ CPL Online) 
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($135.00 @ Umart) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($519.00 @ CPL Online) 
Total: $1551.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-31 23:26 AEST+1000

I would want to change out the board though. It's very expensive for what it is.

1. the pc part picker link you posted doesn't work for me. try posting it again. use the bbcode format
  2. you will be able to use both the 2.0 and the 3.0 ports with your motherboard, don't worry. there should be headers for both the usb 2.0 ports and the 3.0 ports. someone correct me if i'm wrong
  3. avoid the gigabyte board for overclocking. it won't let you set adaptive mode for your cache ratio and vring. get an asrock, msi, or asus
  4. for the ssd, get an ssd plus, ssd370, bx100, or an 850 evo instead
  5. get the r9 390 as it outperforms the 970 in gaming benchmarks
  6. evga psu's are good; the best ones are the gs and g2 series. seasonic is also very good. some of the higher end corsair units (not cx) are also good. xfx makes good psu's as well. same with superflower
  7. if you're buying a monitor for gaming, get a 1ms and 144 hertz monitor with the r9 390. 1ms makes a big difference and the 144 hertz must be purchased if you want higher framerates than 60 fps, which you will get in 1080p with the r9 390
  8. what is your budget in AUD?

edit:

make sure you get an r9 390 that is NOT voltage locked so that you can overclock it to its maximum potential

Thankyou for the fast response.

1.I'm trying to fix the list as everyone else seems to be having trouble aswell, sorry for the inconvenience. I do not understand what u mean by BB either so sorry again =P.

2.I'm glad all USB's will be available as i will be needing at least 3 24/7, thnak you =D

3.Thankyou for the suggestion, do you mind pinpointing me to a specific motherboard, i will also ofc do my own research, i also heard motherboards don't matter that much either as long as it has all the correct connectors. is this true?

4.Will do =D thanks again

5. Will graphics cards affect rendering etc. if so is it still good to get the r9 390?

6. Will be looking into SeaSonic.

7. Thanks for suggestion, i think my current monitor pre baught is an ASUS 2ms, 144 Hz not sure, will update once i find out

8. My budget in AUD is around $1800 i don't mind going into the $2300 but would rather not due to the disgusting GST, paypal and delivery etc we get here down under.

Thankyou for reply once again =D

Also noted on the voltage lock

Also thankyou for the suggestion of power supply, i was thinking it was overkill but still was unsure, will the SeaSonic allow room for upgrade, maybe to an i7 in the future?

Yes, it will allow for a CPU upgrade. It won't allow for asnother GPU to be added though. It should be okay with most single GPUs

The build looks excellent.  I don't think, however, you will need a PSU of that high a wattage.  maybe step down to 600 watts to save a few pennies? Also, the R9 390 would be a good alternative to the GTX 970 (depends on whether you like team green, with Game stream, G-Sync, Geforce Experience, etc, or team red, with Freesync, mantle (which is dead), eyefinity, trueaudio, etc.).  Their performance is so similar in benchmarks that it really depends on which way you want to sway.  I THINK there is a way to plug a USB 2 header into a USB 3 board and have it operate, but I'm not sure...

Here is a good PSU that might save you some: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100b10500kr

The build if I did it: 

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/PXpDgs

Only now am I appreciating how much more expensive components are in places besides North America...  If you have a buddy living in the US or Canada, have him buy the parts and mail them, then pay him back.  It might save you some money (but shipping can be an ***).

Thankyou very much for the reply, loving this sites response time.

I can clearly see most of the issues from everybody elses suggestions =D doing extensive research only lower cost/power power supplies, thankyou for the suggestion =D

I will look into the r9 390, mainly through cost comparison.

The psu looks great price wise, thankyou very much.

The build is great aswell also appreciate it, have a lot of comparing to do haha.

Sadly no foreign mates, but im a patient person money wise, i can wait half a yr for this baby

Thanks again for fast response.

2. Yes, they will all work. 

I changed a few things 

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($341.00 @ Scorptec) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($279.00 @ CPL Online) 
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($135.00 @ Umart) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($519.00 @ CPL Online) 
Total: $1551.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-31 23:26 AEST+1000

I would want to change out the board though. It's very expensive for what it is.

Really appreciate the new build, will now use it as my primary build 'base'. Looking into a new board now from everyones suggestions, so thankyou again

Yes, it will allow for a CPU upgrade. It won't allow for asnother GPU to be added though. It should be okay with most single GPUs

I don't think i will be doing anything crazy like SLI just yet, thanks for the info.

Thankyou for the fast response.

1.I'm trying to fix the list as everyone else seems to be having trouble aswell, sorry for the inconvenience. I do not understand what u mean by BB either so sorry again =P.

2.I'm glad all USB's will be available as i will be needing at least 3 24/7, thnak you =D

3.Thankyou for the suggestion, do you mind pinpointing me to a specific motherboard, i will also ofc do my own research, i also heard motherboards don't matter that much either as long as it has all the correct connectors. is this true?

4.Will do =D thanks again

5. Will graphics cards affect rendering etc. if so is it still good to get the r9 390?

6. Will be looking into SeaSonic.

7. Thanks for suggestion, i think my current monitor pre baught is an ASUS 2ms, 144 Hz not sure, will update once i find out

8. My budget in AUD is around $1800 i don't mind going into the $2300 but would rather not due to the disgusting GST, paypal and delivery etc we get here down under.

Thankyou for reply once again =D

Also noted on the voltage lock

1. in terms of a motherboard, it will depend on your needs. if you end up getting an amd card, make sure it's crossfire enabled. if you go with nvidia, make sure it's sli capable. the asus z97-e is a great board. that is what i'd recommend. the next step up would be the asus z97-a. motherboards don't affect performance in game, but it's important to have a good motherboard for cpu overclocking. the asus motherboards i mentioned are great for that
  2. gpu's can affect rendering times yes. i'm not sure if amd cards are as compatible for certain adobe programs and other workstation programs. you will have to research which cards these programs recommend. most of the time though it's nvidia cards and their respective drivers that work best. if you don't want to get the r9 390, go for the gtx 970 instead
  3. 2ms is good. it's not the best, but it's very close. should be just fine
  4. i will try and come up with a build for you around $1800 AUD

BigDay

in terms of your budget of 1800 AUD, do you need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, os, etc? any peripherals basically? or just the tower?

BigDay

1. in terms of a motherboard, it will depend on your needs. if you end up getting an amd card, make sure it's crossfire enabled. if you go with nvidia, make sure it's sli capable. the asus z97-e is a great board. that is what i'd recommend. the next step up would be the asus z97-a. motherboards don't affect performance in game, but it's important to have a good motherboard for cpu overclocking. the asus motherboards i mentioned are great for that
  2. gpu's can affect rendering times yes. i'm not sure if amd cards are as compatible for certain adobe programs and other workstation programs. you will have to research which cards these programs recommend. most of the time though it's nvidia cards and their respective drivers that work best. if you don't want to get the r9 390, go for the gtx 970 instead
  3. 2ms is good. it's not the best, but it's very close. should be just fine
  4. i will try and come up with a build for you around $1800 AUD

Amazing reply time once again, all this help means a lot to me so thankyou.

1. Asus z97-a looks like a pretty good winner to me, amazing suggestion thankyou.

2. on Pc Case Gear, which will be my primary buyer for basically all parts unless they dont have a single part i want, has both the r9 390 and gtx 970 at $529. I think im leaning more towards the 970. Internet does provide good arguments for the 390 tho.

3. New monitor will be bought, but not till a much later date as in the end its the actual computer that im setting as priority for my money. 

4. Thankyou would also appreciate. Would also like it if you could review Oshino Shinobu's recent build for me and try and base it around that (if you can) to prevent confusion between deciding parts =D, up to you though, still greatly appreciated either way.

in terms of your budget of 1800 AUD, do you need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, os, etc? any peripherals basically? or just the tower?

So far it is just the tower. Everything else comes later as i already have a keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. The only thing i wouldn't mind buying with everything would be a dvd drive (preferably blu-ray under $100), also do all dvd drives fit the slots presented on every case? So basically the 1800 budget will be focused on the tower =D, thnx again.

Would also like to know if any extra fans to be placed in the case are needed? Or will everything be nice and cool, and not overheating with current fans/case etc

So far it is just the tower. Everything else comes later as i already have a keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. The only thing i wouldn't mind buying with everything would be a dvd drive (preferably blu-ray under $100), also do all dvd drives fit the slots presented on every case? So basically the 1800 budget will be focused on the tower =D, thnx again.

Would also like to know if any extra fans to be placed in the case are needed? Or will everything be nice and cool, and not overheating with current fans/case etc

• yes, most dvd drives fit the case slots in the front without issue, i wouldn't worry about this
  • i wouldn't worry about placing extra fans in the case at this point. i don't think it's needed

BigDay

• yes, most dvd drives fit the case slots in the front without issue, i wouldn't worry about this
  • i wouldn't worry about placing extra fans in the case at this point. i don't think it's needed

Thankyou very much, so far this is what i have on pc part lister (link still may not work):

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/rj9ngs

Intel i5 4690k

Asus z97 A

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB

Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5"

WD 1TB 3.5"

GTX 970 MSI

Nanoxia Deep Silence 1

Seasonic 550W 80+ Gold (550 all i need, even for an i7 upgrade? Do i only need more wats for SLI?)

Currently 12AM, Thankyou guys for all the help this afternoon, would appreciate more. Will be checking back on updates tomorrow (or this afternoon =D).

Thankyou again really appreciate it.