quantum dot UHD LCD TVs for the masses

source: http://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/monitors/anton-shilov/auo-teams-up-with-3m-to-bring-quantum-dot-4k-uhd-lcd-panels-to-the-masses/

panasonic_4k_uhd_ultra_hd_tv_1.jpg

3m_nanosys_qdef.jpg 

AU Optronics Corp., one of the world’s leading makers of LCD panels for various devices, and 3M this week announced a new technology alliance that can dramatically improve quality of TV-sets and displays. The two companies will offer turn-key solutions that will help suppliers of televisions to offer TV-sets with quantum dot (QD) technology that enables wide color gamut and high dynamic range for ultra-high-definition (UHD) 4K TVs.

The QD display enhancement technology significantly improves quality of backlighting in LED LCD panels by integrating a special quantum dot enhancement film (QDEF) with trillions of semiconductor nanocrystals into an LCD panel stack. A quantum dot can emit (or, in the case of QDEF, filter) light at a very precise wavelength. The ability to control the spectral output of a quantum dot allows QDEF to create an ideal white backlight, something that allows to display more accurate red, green and blue colours, thus enhancing color gamut.

“The exciting thing is that the LCD industry is on the verge of a color revolution,” said Erik Jostes, business director for 3M display materials and systems division. “Quantum dot materials enable displays to produce colors richer than any other technology, providing life-like images of a quality never seen before.”

AUO claims that its LCD LED panels with 3M’s QDEF tech will help to build TVs and displays compliant with ITU-R Recommendation BT.2020 (better known as Rec. 2020) for ultra-high-definition TVs. In addition to 3840*2160 and 7680*4320 resolutions, the Rec. 2020 also supports bit depth of either 10-bits per sample or 12-bits per sample, which means that Rec. 2020-compliant devices can reproduce colours that were not shown on previous-gen displays. Ultra HD Blu-ray discs and players fully support all the aspects of the Rec. 2020, including display resolution, frame rate, chroma subsampling, bit depth, and color space. Essentially, Rec. 2020 is must-have feature for modern Ultra HD TVs.

AUO Optronics will offer various 4K TV panels featuring 3M’s quantum dot enhancement film with up to 85” size. TV brands will have to equip such panels with appropriate electronics to take advantage of the QDEF technology. Mass production of the new display panels will begin by the end of this year.

---

all sounds nice and very interesting; but the prices .. what the prices will be like

in the realm of thousands of $ ?!?! my guess

MKBHD did a video about the concept at CES 2015:

This is cool and all but where does this put OLED? Will manufactures hold off on OLED so they can make a quick buck now and release OLED later on? I really hope not :/

I can't keep up anymore with display technologies nowadays.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

but i do not care about ''better colors'' on my tv i want deep blacks. they should invest in oled.

anyway AU optronics panels do have the best contrast with excelent blacks(for lcd) so maybe they will improve that too.top brands that use their panels are sony and samsung which got good reviews for picture quality .

ffs all i want is a cheap 1080p oled tv. maybe next year

Quantum dots have been around for 30 years. They are just presenting it as new because they are forgotten. Its just another LCD backlight tech.... and it wont make LCD any less shit.

Its just the last attempt to milk LCD a bit more before OLED eventually takes over - perpetrated by companies who are waiting for others to do the OLED R&D first.

People falling for this garbage marketing probably wouldnt afford one anyway, or they would take a 10th mortgage on their apartment. 

People who actually pay 4k$ for this QD LCD crap deserve to be ripped of, considering there are 4k OLED`s for 4.5k$ available now.

Quantum dots have been around for 30 years. They are just presenting it as new because they are forgotten. Its just another LCD backlight tech.... and it wont make LCD any less shit.

Its just the last attempt to milk LCD a bit more before OLED eventually takes over - perpetrated by companies who are waiting for others to do the OLED R&D first.

People falling for this garbage marketing probably wouldnt afford one anyway, or they would take a 10th mortgage on their apartment. 

People who actually pay 4k$ for this QD LCD crap deserve to be ripped of, considering there are 4k OLED`s for 4.5k$ available now.

There are still some limitations of OLED - have they been worked out yet? Early OLED panels suffered from extreme burn-in.

It's still the end-game for panel tech - but is it ready for prime-time yet?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

While quantum dot TVs offer significant improvement over the traditional LED TV, OLED is where it's at.

There are still some limitations of OLED - have they been worked out yet? Early OLED panels suffered from extreme burn-in.

It's still the end-game for panel tech - but is it ready for prime-time yet?

The burnin is like 80% solved now. If you buy one of the new 4k OLED tv`s you wont suffer from it, not before 8k becomes the standard.

If you use it as a monitor however, its gona be worse, cuz we have the start bar and shit. So we cant have OLED monitors yet.

There are also new methods that flash the screen when turned off - that resets the pixels or something like that. 

Still gona be a few years at LEAST till we get monitors. But for TV`s OLED is 100% ready.

4k OLED FOR $4.5k

where?

what? QD was found in the 80s but it has only recently been used in tv so its a new tech. as for price, many companies are saying that QD will be a third cheaper than oled from the get go. as it stands the only manufacturer that is working on oled is LG so its not like its coming any time soon where as QD can be implemented by all manufactures with very little change to the manufacturing process. QD will be cheaper than oled for some time and will more than likely bridge the gap.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

what? QD was found in the 80s but it has only recently been used in tv so its a new tech. as for price, many companies are saying that QD will be a third cheaper than oled from the get go. as it stands the only manufacturer that is working on oled is LG so its not like its coming any time soon where as QD can be implemented by all manufactures with very little change to the manufacturing process. QD will be cheaper than oled for some time and will more than likely bridge the gap.

Its the same LCD garbage ffs. Just brighter colors... bit more contrast.

Still garbage when compared to OLED which has absolute perfect color, blacks and REAL infinite contrast,

not to mention 0.01ms response time for ALL color shifts not that 1ms gtg bullshit LCD has - that really is about 10ms response time on average.

Anyone buying a 3500$ QD LCD over a 4000$ OLED is a fucking moron and just keeps stagnating the market even more. While samsung and others who are too lazy to do OLED R&D keep stroking themselves will all the money they keep milking from 30yearold shit.

Still garbage when compared to OLED which has absolute perfect color, blacks and REAL infinite contrast,

not to mention 0.01ms response time for ALL color shifts not that 1ms gtg bullshit LCD has - that really is about 10ms response time on average.

Anyone buying a 3500$ QD LCD over a 4000$ OLED is a fucking moron and just keeps stagnating the market even more. While samsung and others who are too lazy to do OLED R&D keep stroking themselves will all the money they keep milking from 30yearold shit.

Right.

Well *I* can only afford a TV under a grand, any chance I can get a QD display before an OLED one? Top end isn't the market that is important for most people.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

what are you on about? what part of a third of the price dont you get?  1k vs 3k is a no brainer for 99% of people. its not "garbage" compared to oled, its not as good but untill oled drops in price its fine

calm down its only a TV

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I like how you just call everyone stupid who will buy it. It seems you are as ignorant as them.

Remember the common people, not you or myself or anyone on this forum most-likely who are invested into tech news?

Ye those people don't really care in same way we do. They go to the stores ask the guy which is the latest-and-greatest and obviously they are going to point to their latest and more expensive stock. Can't blame them, since not everyone is interest like us. But what you can do, is tell your friends and the people in your immediate area maybe Facebook, that the newest tech isn't always the greatest and inform them a bit more without boring them.

Also please stop being so obnoxious, pretty sure everyone on the forum who read your post finds it to be that way.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

I just want to see premium OLED monitors already.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I like how you just call everyone stupid who will buy it. It seems you are as ignorant as them.

Remember the common people, not you or myself or anyone on this forum most-likely who are invested into tech news?

Ye those people don't really care in same way we do. They go to the stores ask the guy which is the latest-and-greatest and obviously they are going to point to their latest and more expensive stock. Can't blame them, since not everyone is interest like us. But what you can do, is tell your friends and the people in your immediate area maybe Facebook, that the newest tech isn't always the greatest and inform them a bit more without boring them.

Also please stop being so obnoxious, pretty sure everyone on the forum who read your post finds it to be that way.

Ye, no.

All i hear from you here is "ignorance is bliss" and "dont hurt peoples feelings"

Fuck everyones feelings, including mine.

I dont have to be polite if im right. The people who are always calm, WILL get what im saying and ignore the way i say it.

Those are the people tho whom i wana remind that QD LCD is garbage meant to only milk the last drops from LCD, before it dies.

Ye, no.

All i hear from you here is "ignorance is bliss" and "dont hurt peoples feelings"

I dont have to be polite if im right. The people who are always calm, WILL get what im saying and ignore the way i say it.

Those are the people tho whom i wana remind that QD LCD is garbage meant to only milk the last drops from LCD, before it dies.

You keep repeating that. Just because you say so, does not make it fact.

QS LCD is not "garbage". It's objectively superior to current traditional LCD TV implementations.

No it's not as good as OLED, but that doesn't make it garbage by default.

A BMW M3 is "better" then a 3 series entry level BMW - but that doesn't make a 3 series BMW garbage.

And, if the cost predictions are true, then it will be one third the price of current OLED sets. It's a stop-gap measure until OLED becomes cheap enough for the average consumer. It's not replacing OLED, it's providing a nice improvement as an intermediary until OLED is actually ready for people to buy at an affordable price.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Ye, no.

Did you even read my post properly?

Hurt peoples feelings? No mention of that in my post. All I am saying is that if you keep throwing a hissy-fit, people will think you're a child rather than having valid argument. (Including the so called "calm people")

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB