Fable Legends Windows 10 Store Exclusive

othertomperson

bad game in bad store, check

You should give the store a chance.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Maybe you can all tell me more about how stupid Valve is for making all their PC games Steam exclusive? Or nah?

I don't agree with that either. In a perfect world, no one would do it. But this thread is about something Microsoft is doing, so that's what we're talking about.

I thought Fable Legends was gonna be free to play. I don't see what the big deal here is. Also to have the cross platform play with the Xbox. I mean sure the Steam version could just launch the Windows Store version but still. I could be wrong but I think you guys are making a big deal out of nothiing...

You clearly didn't look very hard. It very clearly says £49.99 and "save 33%" next to it. Ie the game usually retails at £49.99.

You are arguing with me, and you're misrepresenting what I'm saying at every turn. I don't want everything to only be on Steam or only on Origin, and I don't want it to have to run on every client concurrently with each client's DRM in toe. Like how the fuck did you reach that conclusion? I want it to be available from any one retailer I should happen to go to and I want the retailers to actually have to compete with eachother and not have their own walled gardens of shit you can only get from each.

So we're judging the price of games on potentially what we could have paid now are we? I tend to use the price I can actually buy the thing for, as it's price. :P

How am I misrepresenting you? I'm simply stating what would happen in your "non-exclusive" world. It would come with Dual DRM, and very little change in pricing, as the price is still set by the publisher. Have you actually thought through what your grievance is? That Fable, a free to play online game, which is heavily integrated into Xbox, isn't available on Steam? Do you honestly expect them to port it over to Steamworks or something?

I understand that people are heavily invested in Steam, a couple of my friends insisted on buying GTA V on Steam, instead of £10 cheaper on GMG, and what's the benefit? They paid £10 extra for dual DRM. It still requires Social Club to play, it's heavily integrated into the game. So that in a nutshell is my point.

But don't take that as an argument against you, I get where you are coming from. And I too am frustrated that yet another part of a fragmented market has emerged. And it's largely arisen because Microsoft neglected PC gaming over a decade ago. It would have been preferable if there was a central game launcher and DRM built into Windows or something, and simply a bunch of online stores or marketplaces for buying games.

Alright so here's the things. Its a MS Studio's game so they are doing nothing different from UPlay or Origin well except for the fact you wont need to run some special interface and overlay and all that. I assume its going to be like anything else you get on there download and install it like any standard application. I think this is what MS meant by "are not intending to compete with Steam". Basically the whole Game for Windows Live was a huge failure (mostly due to MS's incompetence). Also realistically who buys games from UPlay and Origin unless they have to? Why create that platform to not be used? It would be nice it it was available in all digital stores including GOG and on shelves. But companies dont do that anymore, so of the options I can think of this is probably the least worst one, especially since MS Store is already on every windows 10 PC.

On a side note the only thing that I think might compete with Steam would be the new GOG thing.

It's not competition, though, it's exclusivity. Competition would be releasing it on all platforms and letting us choose which one we wanted to use.

Apt-get isn't a store. You can install games that are also on steam by adding a repository and installing them via apt-get, but this doesn't remove the game from being on Steam. Apt-get is about convenience and doesn't remove choice from the end user, like store exclusivity does.

I really don't see how this is any different from Valve only selling DOTA and CS:GO on Steam, or EA only selling Battlefield on Origin, or hell, any Blizzard game on BattleNet. Most of us don't care because we already use those services, and they are already good. While I personally wish that every game was on every platform, I can certainly see why the publisher who owns their own platform would want to make it their exclusive.

We'll see how well it works on the Windows 10 store. Because frankly, the alternative would have been an XBox One Exclusive - at least it's making it to PC. While it's not perfect, it's a step in the right direction. If Fable Legends is successful, we might end up seeing other XBO Exclusives being ported to the Windows 10 store, making them available on the PC.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Are people bitching about not being able to "buy" a FREE game from another vendor? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Are people bitching about not being able to "buy" a FREE game from another vendor? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Free or not, I think the bigger concern is the inevitable terrible DRM from Microsoft. Which is why people would prefer it to be available on Steam.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Alright so here's the things. Its a MS Studio's game so they are doing nothing different from UPlay or Origin well except for the fact you wont need to run some special interface and overlay and all that. I assume its going to be like anything else you get on there download and install it like any standard application. I think this is what MS meant by "are not intending to compete with Steam". Basically the whole Game for Windows Live was a huge failure (mostly due to MS's incompetence). Also realistically who buys games from UPlay and Origin unless they have to? Why create that platform to not be used? It would be nice it it was available in all digital stores including GOG and on shelves. But companies dont do that anymore, so of the options I can think of this is probably the least worst one, especially since MS Store is already on every windows 10 PC.

On a side note the only thing that I think might compete with Steam would be the new GOG thing.

They are doing something different: It's locked to a specific OS version. Steam doesn't inherently limits games to just Windows 10 or 8 or 7 and afaik neither does Origin or Uplay. In fact even games available on Mac or Linux are still always available on all versions of windows. This is Microsoft saying "Yeah, upgrade to windows 10, do it now, disregard the automatic, no warning or documentation upgrades and the constant spying, upgrade, NOW"

I'm honestly surprised it's 6 pages and so many of you continue to make the argument that it's no big deal and that there's nothing different than uplay or origin exclusivity: OS exclusivity is another layer of exclusivity, one that's completely new since even DX12 are still playable (although arguably worst but still playable) on previous Windows versions.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Free or not, I think the bigger concern is the inevitable terrible DRM from Microsoft. Which is why people would prefer it to be available on Steam.

Let's actually wait till it happens before getting out our pitchforks. I never thought I would actually be defending Microsoft when it comes to PC gaming, but the shits people are saying on here are ridiculous.

The same people that are saying they won't "buy" (lololololololol) this game probably have Blizzard games that are not sold on any other vendor, League of Legends, I'll mention SkyForge since that's what I'm playing now, every game ever published by Nexon and other publishers similar to them, and Valve games like Portal, TF2, Dota 2, and CSGO that you can't get from any other vendor.

Again, let's wait till they actually do something that is worth getting out the pitchforks for.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Let's actually wait till it happens before getting out our pitchforks. I never thought I would actually be defending Microsoft when it comes to PC gaming, but the shits people are saying on here are ridiculous.

The same people that are saying they won't "buy" (lololololololol) this game probably have Blizzard games that are not sold on any other vendor, League of Legends, I'll mention SkyForge since that's what I'm playing now, every game ever published by Nexon and other publishers similar to them, and Valve games like Portal, TF2, Dota 2, and CSGO that you can't get from any other vendor.

Again, let's wait till they actually do something that is worth getting out the pitchforks for.

The pitchforks are already out since we know windows 10 is basically malware constantly reporting activity and logging your information without your authorization. Requiring some stupid store isn't an issue, requiring 10 is an issue. I should be able to choose worst performance and windows 7 if I want to instead of a slight advantage for the privilege of paying Microsoft to spy on me extra easily.

-------

Current Rig

-------

They are doing something different: It's locked to a specific OS version. Steam doesn't inherently limits games to just Windows 10 or 8 or 7 and afaik neither does Origin or Uplay. In fact even games available on Mac or Linux are still always available on all versions of windows. This is Microsoft saying "Yeah, upgrade to windows 10, do it now, disregard the automatic, no warning or documentation upgrades and the constant spying, upgrade, NOW"

I'm honestly surprised it's 6 pages and so many of you continue to make the argument that it's no big deal and that there's nothing different than uplay or origin exclusivity: OS exclusivity is another layer of exclusivity, one that's completely new since even DX12 are still playable (although arguably worst but still playable) on previous Windows versions.

Fair point, but I'm guessing most people in this thread have overlooked that, as we have all already traded our privacy for a free upgrade to Windows 10.

The pitchforks are already out since we know windows 10 is basically malware constantly reporting activity and logging your information without your authorization. Requiring some stupid store isn't an issue, requiring 10 is an issue. I should be able to choose worst performance and windows 7 if I want to instead of a slight advantage for the privilege of paying Microsoft to spy on me extra easily.

Yes, tying this game to Win 10 just like they tied Spore (I think?) to Win 8 is a legitimate "pitchfork" reason. The fact that MS is choosing to only distribute their game through their own store is not since I don't remember anyone boycotting any of the games I mentioned above that do exactly the same thing. I even forgot to mention Origin. A lot of people on this forum play BF4, are hyped for the new Mirror's Edge and are acting like the upcoming Star Wars game from EA is the 2nd coming of Jesus. All exclusive to Origin. It's hypocritical.

There's no proof Microsoft is actually collecting your personal information from your computers with Windows 10 when all the telmetry/privacy settings are disabled. There is only proof that Windows 10 machines will still communicate with Microsoft servers. The nature of the communication, we don't really know but author of the original article said that there was no evidence that anything foul was being sent. 

There's no proof Microsoft is actually collecting your personal information from your computers with Windows 10 when all the telmetry/privacy settings are disabled. There is only proof that Windows 10 machines will still communicate with Microsoft servers. The nature of the communication, we don't really know but author of the original article said that there was no evidence that anything foul was being sent. 

There is no proof they won't either: they force automatic updates and do not disclose what's actually being updated. That means that telemetry settings and potentially more can potentially be patched in (if not already) and you'd have no way of knowing since they're no longer disclosing that information. You might keep your false sense of security but an OS that calls home and does such a poor job of disclosing what's actually going on it's just inviting a massive privacy breach. More over you shouldn't have to agree to blind, undocumented updates even if there wasn't a previous history of dubious data collection already in place.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Evolve > Fable Legends... only if they finished the damn game before releasing.

Still don't regret my pre-order, come at me :D

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

1. Valve games are on other platforms, namely consoles.

2. Microsoft has a terrible track record for PC gaming.

3. I don't own any Blizzard games.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

There is no proof they won't either: they force automatic updates and do not disclose what's actually being updated. That means that telemetry settings and potentially more can potentially be patched in (if not already) and you'd have no way of knowing since they're no longer disclosing that information. You might keep your false sense of security but an OS that calls home and does such a poor job of disclosing what's actually going on it's just inviting a massive privacy breach. More over you shouldn't have to agree to blind, undocumented updates even if there wasn't a previous history of dubious data collection already in place.

Maybe they will one day. But couldn't they do the same with Windows 7 or 8? Give you an update one day that lets them secretly collect your information. I mean sure you could opt out of the updates but you could do the same with every other Windows 10 SKU except the one. Not providing the information isn't that big of a deal IMO, if they were patching your copies of Windows to collect information in an unethical way I doubt they would detail it anyway. Even if they do one day try to steal some personal data, I'm sure security people will catch on to it. There is only so much they can do without being detected eventually. The way I see is that almost any online capable device i own could potentially be able to steal my data. I personally don't have any reason to suspect or believe that Microsoft is collecting anything in an unethical way.

Fable Legends is on XBox as well - which is a console. So that kind of throws number one out the Window.

It also took ages for any of the Valve games to make it to console. And not every Valve game is available on Console even still.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Maybe they will one day. But couldn't they do the same with Windows 7 or 8? Give you an update one day that lets them secretly collect your information. I mean sure you could opt out of the updates but you could do the same with every other Windows 10 SKU except the one. Not providing the information isn't that big of a deal IMO, if they were patching your copies of Windows to collect information in an unethical way I doubt they would detail it anyway. Even if they do one day try to steal some personal data, I'm sure security people will catch on to it. There is only so much they can do without being detected eventually. The way I see is that almost any online capable device i own could potentially be able to steal my data. I personally don't have any reason to suspect or believe that Microsoft is collecting anything in an unethical way.

Windows 7 can still turn off all updates indefinitely though, to my knowledge no version comes with that telemetry update by default so you can go as far as SP1 with it and be relatively ok without any updates at all. But that's a good point nonetheless we should be asking for more Vulkan support and Linux support as unrealistic as it is right now, it will never mature if people do not demand alternatives. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

1. Fable Legends will be on Xbox 1. Even if it wasn't the fact that those games are on console do not change the fact that no one has the option to buy them from any other vendor on PC.

2. That's not a valid excuse for the irrationality and hypocrisy surrounding this game.

3. You own BF4 which can only be bought on Origin.

http://www.pcgamer.com/fable-legends-pc-will-be-exclusive-to-the-windows-10-store/

So all of that obvious bullshit about Windows and Steam not being in competition and about supporting Steam actually was bullshit. Microsoft are forcing us to use their version of Uplay or Origin instead of giving us choice over where we want to buy this game. You know how everyone called Gabe paranoid for saying that this was Microsoft's intention and Microsoft denied they were ever going to make Windows Store exclusive games? LOL.

Welp. At least it's only Fable. That franchise hasn't been good for years.

Let's jump on Microsoft for releasing a game they make on their own platform. Not like EA, Ubisoft, Valve or GOG(to be fair GOG does release their game on Steam too) do the same... oh wait.

OMFG VALVE RELEASED DOTA2 ONLY ON STEAM, FIX OR RIOT. (yay it actually works with dota too)

PS: Can you actually blame Microsoft for wanting to add some actual value to their store? Like jesus the content on that thing is garbage. It's like a shittier version of an app store. There's only 2 somewhat decent games on this store. Minecraft and GTA San Andreas. (I'm not saying GTASA was bad, but it certainly isnt a game of 2015)

Went from my ''Maybe buy this'' list to my ''Not buying this'' list in 0.1 seconds.

It's going to be free to play and have crossplay with xbone

You should give the store a chance.

You're right... sorry W10 Store, I was wrong to judge you by your cover. Fable's bad though, I checked that book through and through.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Welp. At least it's only Fable. That franchise hasn't been good for years.

Speak for yourself. I did enjoy them (except for the Kinect game which I never played) quite a lot. This new game died for me a long time ago when a) Lionhead Studios first revealed the terrible concept of the game and B) when it was said to be Win10 exclusive.

Speak for yourself. I did enjoy them (except for the Kinect game which I never played) quite a lot. This new game died for me a long time ago when a) Lionhead Studios first revealed the terrible concept of the game and B) when it was said to be Win10 exclusive.

I loved Fable 2 (Sorry to admit I haven't played Fable 1 or Fable Anniversary yet). I really really wanted to love Fable 3, but I couldn't.

The in-game combat mechanics were good. The idea behind the story was good. But it fell apart in several ways.

First: The UI oh my fucking god kill me now bad. I mean, opening the fucking Map? You literally had to transport your character to a room, and open it there. It was horrible. There were numerous other problems with the UI, but the map was by far the biggest problem for me.

Second: Forcing the story to progress. I was playing, and I love to be a greedy money whore in Fable - so I stopped playing the story missions for a while so I could grind some side quests, buy real-estate, and just generally earn money (You know, to better prepare for ze end of days) - and then the game basically was just like "nope" half way through my grinding - and literally skipped the rest of the missions and the "invasion" was suddenly upon me. I was screwed of course, because I had been dumping all my money into buying real-estate, so I had a very high income, but basically no cash on hand. And that means that pretty much everyone in the city dies.

Perhaps one day I'll replay it and see if I can do better, but it infuriated me to no end.

I'd love to replay Fable 2 sometime though. And play the first one (on PC of course) - but I've heard very bad things about Fable Anniversary Edition - apparently in many ways, it's worse than the original edition.