Fable Legends Windows 10 Store Exclusive

othertomperson

Why should anyone release a game on Steam and give Valve a cut for no reason, when they have their own Store?

Yup... It's fair enough

As long as they don't ask outside devs to be exclusively on their store.

Well you can't really begrudge Microsoft for this. Good luck to them, it's their game. As long as they don't start bribing 3rd party devs to be exclusive on their store...

The beautiful thing about the current PC digital distribution ecosystem is that nobody asks for exclusivity clauses. Even the market leader (steam) does not. So we can have games like Witcher 3 which simultaneously launched on gog, uplay, steam, Origin if that's what the developer wants. I just hope that Microsoft does not change that culture. If somebody starts it then the others try to hit back and it can get ugly and then it becomes more like the console business with backroom deals etc...

Hmm as a former Microsoft employee who worked on windows he probably knew a bit more than we gave him credit for.

Expect all of the games Microsoft has a hand in to be Windows store only. The big kids like Microsoft and EA have enough power to choose not to give Valve a big cut for just hosting the files on their servers.

Expect all of the games Microsoft has a hand in to be Windows store only. The big kids like Microsoft and EA have enough power to choose not to give Valve a big cut for just hosting the files on their servers.

Except that it's not "just hosting the files on their servers". The popularity of Steam has value. The features Steam offers have value. The concept of having all of your games in one place with one social interface has value. Steam has value beyond server space.

Where exactly is the competitive pressure if you can only buy the product from one vendor?

how can you buy a free game ?

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

Yup... It's fair enough

As long as they don't ask outside devs to be exclusively on their store.

Considering Microsofts track record, we can expect exactly this.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Did you just call the Windows Store their "own version of UPlay/Origin/Steam"? 

It's the similarity of the products that are the same then. A 960 and a 380 aren't exactly the same thing but they are similar enough to be directly comparable. Are Fable and Mass Effect? Assassins Creed and Trine 2?

I don't know what your point is. Are you comparing those games specifically for a reason?

If two different companies are trying to sell things to the same group of people they are in competition. Microsoft are trying to sell games to people who buy game, Steam is trying to sell games to people who buy games. They're in competition.

Did you just call the Windows Store their "own version of UPlay/Origin/Steam"? 

You need to use them to run games from Ubisoft, EA and Valve respectively. I don't get a choice about that, I can't choose to buy EA games from Uplay. Although I can buy Ubisoft games from Steam, I then have to mess around with overlays because the default system of running them over eachother tends to stop games from running and is more of a pain in the arse than it needs to be. As shit as Uplay is, this makes it less egregious than Origin.

I don't know what your point is. Are you comparing those games specifically for a reason?

If two different companies are trying to sell things to the same group of people they are in competition. Microsoft are trying to sell games to people who buy game, Steam is trying to sell games to people who buy games. They're in competition.

You say two shops who make their own red dresses and people can choose one or the other is competition, therefore whether people want to buy Fable or Mass effect or Portal is also competition. It's a false equivalents. Games are not homogeneous enough to eachother to choose a store and just pick one product.

As for your second point; I need eggs, milk, bread, a hat and some sausages. Store A only sells sausages, hats and milk. Store B only sells bread and eggs. How is this competition when I need to go to both to get everything? How can I shop around for the best deal when neither of the stores overlap? It's not enough for them to both be catering to me if I need things that are exclusive to either. I don't have a choice of which to go to. As such either store can charge whatever the fuck they like because neither has any competition, there is no alternative.

Except that it's not "just hosting the files on their servers". The popularity of Steam has value. The features Steam offers have value. The concept of having all of your games in one place with one social interface has value. Steam has value beyond server space.

True enough, but one man's value is another man's gimmick.

You say two shops who make their own red dresses and people can choose one or the other is competition, therefore whether people want to buy Fable or Mass effect or Portal is also competition. It's a false equivalents. Games are not homogeneous enough to eachother to choose a store and just pick one product.

As for your second point; I need eggs, milk, bread, a hat and some sausages. Store A only sells sausages, hats and milk. Store B only sells bread and eggs. How is this competition when I need to go to both to get everything? How can I shop around for the best deal when neither of the stores overlap? It's not enough for them to both be catering to me if I need things that are exclusive to either. I don't have a choice of which to go to.

"You say two shops who make their own red dresses and people can choose one or the other is competition" You said that, I never. Different clothing brands often have their own styles, two red dressed could be very different, but still appeal to the same person. Just as two games could be very different and still appeal to the same person.

Also, I suppose if you're going to create an example that's so unrealisticly tailored to prove your point, then I guess I can't refute it. Doesn't mean you're right, just means that I'm not smart enough to argue against it.

Bottom line is, if two companies are trying to sell similar things to the same group of people, they're in competition with each other. Xbox has exclusives, PlayStation has exclusives, they're still competitors. Steam has exclusives, and Origin has exclusives, they're still competitors. This isn't different.

Went from my ''Maybe buy this'' list to my ''Not buying this'' list in 0.1 seconds.

No shit, its Free to play.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Judging from the comments no one knows it's free to play so I doubt people complaining would have played it. And this game is so freaking important to the industry.

I don't get why people are complaining, you mad because they are letting a game only be on their store ? I've never seen VOLVO games like csgo on GoG, oirogin or any other store. So if you're going to complain then complain about that too and don't kiss gaben ass.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Judging from the comments no one knows it's free to play so I doubt people complaining would have played it. And this game is so freaking important to the industry.

I don't get why people are complaining you mad because they are letting a game only be on their store ? I,be never seen VOLVO games like csgo on GoG, oirogin or any other store. So if you're going to complain then complain about that too and don't kiss gaben ass.

It's worth pointing out that "free to play" generally ends up meaning "not worth playing". At least in my experience.

It's worth pointing out that "free to play" generally ends up meaning "not worth playing". At least in my experience.

That's why fable legend is important for the industry. Check extra credits if you want an in depth explaining why it's important to the industry.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

"You say two shops who make their own red dresses and people can choose one or the other is competition" You said that, I never. Different clothing brands often have their own styles, two red dressed could be very different, but still appeal to the same person. Just as two games could be very different and still appeal to the same person.

Also, I suppose if you're going to create an example that's so unrealisticly tailored to prove your point, then I guess I can't refute it. Doesn't mean you're right, just means that I'm not smart enough to argue against it.

Bottom line is, if two companies are trying to sell similar things to the same group of people, they're in competition with each other. Xbox has exclusives, PlayStation has exclusives, they're still competitors. Steam has exclusives, and Origin has exclusives, they're still competitors. This isn't different.

How is it unrealistic!? It's literally what is happening! If you want to play all of the games you need to buy from all of the stores, you cannot chose store A over store B because of their customer service, or their prices or anything, you need to buy from all of them. That is not competition!

Oh please you're going to bring up xbox and playstation exclusives as if that is anything but bullshit for the consumer? Of course this isn't different. Console exclusivity is the same anti-consumer bullshit.

Of course exclusivity is the only reason anyone owns an Xbox, too. When they were released Sony decided the added value was in a slightly more powerful box with higher framerates and higher resolution, Microsoft decided 800p 25 fps was mitigated by Kinect because everyone wanted that. On a level playing field with pure market competition at work Xbox would be dead by now.

That's why fable legend is important for the industry. Check extra credits if you want an in depth explaining why it's important to the industry.

I've never heard of Extra Credits before, will wait for TB review.

How is it unrealistic!? It's literally what is happening! If you want to play all of the games you need to buy from all of the stores, you cannot chose store A over store B because of their customer service, or their prices or anything, you need to buy from all of them. That is not competition!

Oh please you're going to bring up xbox and playstation exclusives as if that is anything but bullshit for the consumer? Of course this isn't different. Console exclusivity is the same anti-consumer bullshit.

I'm not defending exclusivity, I hate it. It removes options from me, and I'm required to use or even buy something that I don't want to, in order to be able to play a game I want to. I agree with you that exclusivity is a bad thing for us.

I'm not defending exclusivity, I hate it. It removes options from me, and I'm required to use or even buy something that I don't want to, in order to be able to play a game I want to. I agree with you that exclusivity is a bad thing for us.

Then why are you arguing with me when I say that releasing a game only on the Windows Store is a shit move? Or Origin or whatever it doesn't matter. One place to buy each product its own individual ecosystem is awful.

The game might be Windows Phone ready, that is why it is released on Windows App Store. Steam doesn't run on phones.

And that would prevent its distribution on a range of platforms on PC... how, exactly?

I've never heard of Extra Credits before, will wait for TB review.

What ? They are one of the best. They are made from game devs, desginers... They provide explanations about game mechanics and other things. You should check them out they are good and they aren't thay similar to TB they don't review games.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

What ? They are one of the best. They are made from game devs, desginers... They provide explanations about game mechanics and other things. You should check them out they are good and they aren't thay similar to TB they don't review games.

Then what do they do if not gaming reviews?

Then why are you arguing with me when I say that releasing a game only on the Windows Store is a shit move? Or Origin or whatever it doesn't matter. One place to buy each product its own individual ecosystem is awful.

I never argued with you about that. Our argument was about what a competitor is.

As much as I dislike the fragmented multiple DRM client situation on Windows. How exactly can we fault one company over another for doing it.

VALVE GAMES ARE ONLY AVAILABLE ON STEAM.