Fable Legends Windows 10 Store Exclusive

othertomperson

http://www.pcgamer.com/fable-legends-pc-will-be-exclusive-to-the-windows-10-store/

Until recently, there had been no direct mention of how Fable Legends would be released on PC—other than that it was a Windows 10 exclusive. Now we know a little bit more about what that means. Rather than using the usual channels, it seems that Fable Legends will only be available through the Windows 10 Store.

So all of that obvious bullshit about Windows and Steam not being in competition and about supporting Steam actually was bullshit. Microsoft are forcing us to use their version of Uplay or Origin instead of giving us choice over where we want to buy this game. You know how everyone called Gabe paranoid for saying that this was Microsoft's intention and Microsoft denied they were ever going to make Windows Store exclusive games? LOL.

Welp. At least it's only Fable. That franchise hasn't been good for years.

Ain't that the game where AMD was showing off their new tech or smth?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Welp. At least it's only Fable.

While I don't give a rat's ass about Fable, my mind immediately goes to another game announced "for Windows 10": Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Ain't that the game where AMD was showing off their new tech or smth?

Quite possibly. It is meant to be the poster child for Directx 12 afterall.

While I don't give a rat's ass about Fable, my mind immediately goes to another game announced "for Windows 10": Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Good point. This certainly isn't going to stop here unless it is a monumental failure.

Went from my ''Maybe buy this'' list to my ''Not buying this'' list in 0.1 seconds.

.........I feel like someone running Microsoft is just taking WAY too many bath salts.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

question: how is this different from apt-get on debian and its derivatives?

i don't see any problems with this, competition for steam is Good for us.

not everyone wants to pay 30% of their profits to valve.

It's not competition, though, it's exclusivity. Competition would be releasing it on all platforms and letting us choose which one we wanted to use.

question: how is this different from apt-get on debian and its derivatives?

Apt-get isn't a store. You can install games that are also on steam by adding a repository and installing them via apt-get, but this doesn't remove the game from being on Steam. Apt-get is about convenience and doesn't remove choice from the end user, like store exclusivity does.

It's not competition, though, it's exclusivity. Competition would be releasing it on all platforms and letting us choose which one we wanted to use.

No, it is competition.

Well you can't really begrudge Microsoft for this. Good luck to them, it's their game. As long as they don't start bribing 3rd party devs to be exclusive on their store...

The beautiful thing about the current PC digital distribution ecosystem is that nobody asks for exclusivity clauses. Even the market leader (steam) does not. So we can have games like Witcher 3 which simultaneously launched on gog, uplay, steam, Origin if that's what the developer wants. I just hope that Microsoft does not change that culture. If somebody starts it then the others try to hit back and it can get ugly and then it becomes more like the console business with backroom deals etc...

You know how everyone called Gabe paranoid for saying that this was Microsoft's intention and Microsoft denied they were ever going to make Windows Store exclusive games? LOL..

Hmm as a former Microsoft employee who worked on windows he probably knew a bit more than we gave him credit for.

No, it is competition.

Where exactly is the competitive pressure if you can only buy the product from one vendor?

Answer this please. Sums up my thoughts on the matter.

Competition would be two shops each selling a thing and I get to go to both, compare prices and extras or whatever and make a decision to choose one or the other. If only one shop sells the thing that is not competition.

Apt-get isn't a store. You can install games that are also on steam by adding a repository and installing them via apt-get, but this doesn't remove the game from being on Steam. Apt-get is about convenience and doesn't remove choice from the end user, like store exclusivity does.

linux gets praised for its stores (the ubuntu thing for example) over and over again.

why does windows immediately get shunned if they want to make a central platform for applications on their desktop OS, and a dev wants to experiment by putting stuff on there.

linux gets praised for its stores (the ubuntu thing for example) over and over again.

why does windows immediately get shunned if they want to make a central platform for applications on their desktop OS, and a dev wants to experiment by putting stuff on there.

Ubuntu doesn't own a massive studio like Lionhead and a hugely popular franchise such as Fable. They also don't have massive market share in their OS that they abuse to be anti-competitive by removing products from stores that aren't their own.

If they had released this game on the Windows 10 Store as well there wouldn't be any such problem. The issue is in its exclusivity.

Ubuntu doesn't own a massive studio like Lionhead and a hugely popular franchise such as Fable. They also don't have massive market share in their OS that they abuse to be anti-competitive by removing products from stores that aren't their own.

If they had released this game on the Windows 10 Store as well there wouldn't be any such problem. The issue is in its exclusivity.

^this.

I assume this will be GFWL all over again.

.........I feel like someone running Microsoft is just taking WAY too many bath salts.

Remember when they said a while ago that they'll be supporting PC Gaming by support Steam? 

Guess this is just that...

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

well, vote with your dollars, if no one buys the game, they wont make money from it, and do better next time.

and ubuntu *kind of* is the windows of linux distros in terms of market share. (especially if you count in its derivatives)

Remember when they said a while ago that they'll be supporting PC Gaming by support Steam? 

Guess this is just that...

Yup. Just like "we support PC gaming (but we aren't giving them any of our xbone exclusives)".

well, vote with your dollars, if no one buys the game, they wont make money from it, and do better next time.

and ubuntu *kind of* is the windows of linux distros in terms of market share. (especially if you count in its derivatives)

I hope no one does buy it.

o rly? I was going to buy a million copies!!!1 Thanx u for this infromation!!

You mean Debian, surely, not Ubuntu. Debian is the distro that most of the really popular ones (including Ubuntu) are based on. Either way it doesn't matter. They haven't ever done a direct analogue to this and aren't in a position to do so.

Never really understood what they meant by 'Supporting steam'. Steam works just fine, their is nothing really further i can see for Microsoft to do for Valve. Apart from continuing to let them operate...

Competition would be two shops each selling a thing and I get to go to both, compare prices and extras or whatever and make a decision to choose one or the other. If only one shop sells the thing that is not competition.

No, the what makes something a competitor is if their target audience is the same as yours. Clothing shops often have their own brand you won't find in another shop, but they can still be in competition with each other.

Never really understood what they meant by 'Supporting steam'. Steam works just fine, their is nothing really further i can see for Microsoft to do for Valve. Apart from continuing to let them operate...

It would have meant not pulling an EA and having our own store with blackjack and hookers, and not allowing it to be sold by other vendors. It might have meant including Steam in their marketing, highlighting the added value of the platform.

No, the what makes something a competitor is if their target audience is the same as yours. Clothing shops often have their own brand you won't find in another shop, but they can still be in competition with each other.

It's the similarity of the products that are the same then. A 960 and a 380 aren't exactly the same thing but they are similar enough to be directly comparable. Are Fable and Mass Effect? Assassins Creed and Trine 2?