The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores

Floating point operations can be performed very well on a GPU and the performance vs a CPU's FPUs are in order of extreme magnitude.

I'm pretty sure they're only suited to vector operations. floating point operations aren't necessarily possible to parallelize for a GPU.

This pretty much explains it:

But, overall, to take full advantage of a GPU you need to be running SIMD code

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7682801/does-gpgpu-programming-only-allow-the-execution-of-simd-instructions

Great write up one of the mods should pin this.  :) games like crysis 3 that don't use FPU benefit a lot from the modules and then the 8 core amd becomes competitive gaming wise against the 3930k.

Crysis 3 uses FPU, FX 8xxx is losing to i5 most of the time except maps like Welcome to the Jungle where Crytek uses ALU to calculate grass physics (wind etc.). That's basically the only reason why sometimes you see i5 beating Fx cpus to death in Crysis 3, and sometimes not. Some people benchmark different places.

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

I'm pretty sure they're only suited to vector operations. floating point operations aren't necessarily possible to parallelize for a GPU.

This pretty much explains it:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7682801/does-gpgpu-programming-only-allow-the-execution-of-simd-instructions

>_< I'm not talking about Gpgpu programming only I'm talking about in general GPUs perform floating point operations WAYYYY better than CPUs and what I'm saying fits in perfectly with what AMD's current actions are - moving onto APUs are their primary platform and look at Intel even, they've been running APUs for a long time, they may not be called APUs but they are by nature.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

>_< I'm not talking about Gpgpu programming only I'm talking about in general GPUs perform floating point operations WAYYYY better than CPUs and what I'm saying fits in perfectly with what AMD's current actions are - moving onto APUs are their primary platform and look at Intel even, they've been running APUs for a long time, they may not be called APUs but they are by nature.

Can I get a Citation for that? As far as I know, a floating point operation is just any operation that uses a floating point number, which has no intrinsic properties that I know of that allow it to be parallelized, as vector operations do.

Crysis 3 uses FPU, FX 8xxx is losing to i5 most of the time except maps like Welcome to the Jungle where Crytek uses ALU to calculate grass physics (wind etc.). That's basically the only reason why sometimes you see i5 beating Fx cpus to death in Crysis 3, and sometimes not. Some people benchmark different places.

Your not related to Dravic are you?

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

BRB DYING! xD

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Can I get a Citation for that? As far as I know, a floating point operation is just any operation that uses a floating point number, which has no intrinsic properties that I know of that allow it to be parallelized, as vector operations do.

its just like a mathematical calculation >_< since float point operations are simply operations that work through estimation rather than exact values to allow them to be performed faster - for example if you round a number to 1 or 2 significant figure(s) before you convert it into standard form it becomes a lot faster depending on the number e.g. converting 12341456 into standard form would be 1.2341456 x 107 but if you round it to 2 significant figures before that it simply becomes 1.2 x 107 far easier to do in your head ^_^ and as far as I'm aware equations and calculations can very very easily be parallelised :D

BRB DYING! xD

who's Dravic ?

Read his posts in another thread,I kind of agree that crysis 3 doesn't prove anything since it uses complex grass physics calculated using ALUs, most games don't have this kind of expensive calculations. we'll see With the coming console ports which processor really will work better for gaming, right now its impossible to foresee.

Why?

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

i love story time :P

its nice to know that all those people saying "they're not true cores" were wrong.

HAH! to their faces

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

i love story time :P

its nice to know that all those people saying "they're not true cores" were wrong.

HAH! to their faces

They weren't wrong as such as they weren't really thinking about the term "core" as broadly as they should have done :P for most people they don't really think about that fact that there can be more that one kind of core.