The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores

Nice guide, but can someone tell me what a Memory Controller is and does exactly, does it hold the registers or probably the ram addresses and maybe ram data...

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

Nice guide, but can someone tell me what a Memory Controller is and does exactly, does it hold the registers or probably the ram addresses and maybe ram data...

Memory address and translation as well as memory access control.

Memory address and translation as well as memory access control.

Thank You Bro

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, Kuzma was thoughroughly enlightened me O_o So AMD works better in processors that require an even number of cores and/or multi-threaded optimized while Intel works better in single thread/non multi-threaded optimized aplications?

Something that is fairly cheap but at the same time ridiculously powerful, I think that's AMD's sweet spot. :)

More convinced to get the 8350 with an Asus Sabertooth now instead of a 4670k and a Z87 UD3H. However with the new "premium" FX9000 CPUs, all the Unicorn 8320s and 8350s will be that much more uncommon =/ Plus, I can't find a decent looking motherboard (in my opinion) running the 990FX chipset besides the Gigabyte and the Asus ROG boards

Once again, Kuzma was thoughroughly enlightened me O_o So AMD works better in processors that require an even number of cores and/or multi-threaded optimized while Intel works better in single thread/non multi-threaded optimized aplications?

I take it you read my otherthread then? that is indeed true ^_^ the problem is that most things are single-threaded as it stands but Video work, Audio work, 3D work and some of the newer engines such as the Frostbite engine and Cryengine use multiple threads; also doing loads of single-threaded things at once is better on AMD ; Additionally floating point based applications also suffer on AMD.

More convinced to get the 8350 with an Asus Sabertooth now instead of a 4670k and a Z87 UD3H. However with the new "premium" FX9000 CPUs, all the Unicorn 8320s and 8350s will be that much more uncommon =/ Plus, I can't find a decent looking motherboard (in my opinion) running the 990FX chipset besides the Gigabyte and the Asus ROG boards

There are also the MSI GD boards? They look pretty damn good to me :P

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I take it you read my otherthread then? that is indeed true ^_^ the problem is that most things are single-threaded as it stands but Video work, Audio work, 3D work and some of the newer engines such as the Frostbite engine and Cryengine use multiple threads; also doing loads of single-threaded things at once is better on AMD ; Additionally floating point based applications also suffer on AMD.

There are also the MSI GD boards? They look pretty damn good to me :P

Your other threads are quite intriguing and got my thinking for quite a while. You sir have my respect

Did you say CryEngine 3? Holy crap that would be awesome for MechWarrior Online =).

Yeah but the MSI boards are pretty lacking in features which makes them a little to be desired for sadly.

Your other threads are quite intriguing and got my thinking for quite a while. You sir have my respect

Did you say CryEngine 3? Holy crap that would be awesome for MechWarrior Online =).

Yeah but the MSI boards are pretty lacking in features which makes them a little to be desired for sadly.

I am very glad to have your respect :) & yes indeed CryEngine 3 :P I'm personally working with the engine and it's very CPU intensive and optimised for running on multiple threads ^_^ it runs on AMD cpus generally better because of this & that's true the AMD boards are quite lacking in general to be honest but the Gigabyte and Asus boards are quite nice :P

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I am very glad to have your respect :) & yes indeed CryEngine 3 :P I'm personally working with the engine and it's very CPU intensive and optimised for running on multiple threads ^_^ it runs on AMD cpus generally better because of this & that's true the AMD boards are quite lacking in general to be honest but the Gigabyte and Asus boards are quite nice :P

Yup I saw your thread about BoC and am really very interested in it. You have my best wishes for that project.

When have Asus and Gigabyte motherboards not looked-oh wait nevermind >_>

Yup I saw your thread about BoC and am really very interested in it. You have my best wishes for that project.

When have Asus and Gigabyte motherboards not looked-oh wait nevermind >_>

Thanks you ^_^

&

Lmao the Asus z87 boards? The gigabyte blue boards ._. oh gossssssh

Thanks you ^_^

&

Lmao the Asus z87 boards? The gigabyte blue boards ._. oh gossssssh

Lol I LOVE the look on the Asus Z87 boards. However the lower end ones turn me off with those tiny VRM coolers >_>

Lol I LOVE the look on the Asus Z87 boards. However the lower end ones turn me off with those tiny VRM coolers >_>

xD the higher end ones like the deluxe look pretty damn nice but I agree the lower end ones look damn terrible.

• 4 weeks later...

does intel hold patents to make cpus the way they do?

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

does intel hold patents to make cpus the way they do?

Yeah they do otherwise I'm pretty sure they would have been copied somehow by now :P

Love this, I hate having to always correct people on AMD vs Intel. You should've also mentioned the difference between floating point operation and integer operations. its pretty interesting how the two architectures perform in each one. 

rawr!! I'm a ferret!

Love this, I hate having to always correct people on AMD vs Intel. You should've also mentioned the difference between floating point operation and integer operations. its pretty interesting how the two architectures perform in each one. 

I cover that in another one of my topics :P & thank you

I'm just hoping AMD comes back with something epic, and just messes Intel's stuff up. They've done it before ... I'm far fetched to believe they couldn't again. Which is awesome for consumers, bring back the competition! :)

Agreed Intel can't get lazy nor AMD having a Cheaper CPU than the competition doesn't hurt but falling behind isn't good either, that said AMD needs to kick intel ass in the desktop CPU market so they can try even harder.

From what I've heard, the major bottleneck in AMD CPUs is that they made it so the chip had one decoder for ever two cores. With Steamroller, I've heard that they are going to make it so that every core has its own decoder and FPU. Maybe that'll bring some competition back.

From what I've heard, the major bottleneck in AMD CPUs is that they made it so the chip had one decoder for ever two cores. With Steamroller, I've heard that they are going to make it so that every core has its own decoder and FPU. Maybe that'll bring some competition back.

Yeah, I've heard that aswell, a couple of months ago... Hopefully that will give the AMD an edge vs the i7s.

btw, this topic should be sticky.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

This topic should be sticky.

Agreed, Sticky, like me after reading all this... Knew some of it, got enlightened a bit more on what I didnt.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

That is their main major bottleneck :P but it's also a wise decision on AMD's part as ther are planning on using APUs to do the FLOPS ^_^ you should read my thead on APUs and the future of computing :D

Yeah, I've heard that aswell, a couple of months ago... Hopefully that will give the AMD an edge vs the i7s.

btw, this topic should be sticky.

Agreed, Sticky, like me after reading all this... Knew some of it, got enlightened a bit more on what I didnt.

Glad you guys enjoyed my thread and thank you for thinking it should be stickied :)

That is their main major bottleneck :P but it's also a wise decision on AMD's part as ther are planning on using APUs to do the FLOPS ^_^ you should read my thead on APUs and the future of computing :D

A GPU is only good for SIMD operations. Nothing else can be done efficiently on a GPU.

A GPU is only good for SIMD operations. Nothing else can be done efficiently on a GPU.

Floating point operations can be performed very well on a GPU and the performance vs a CPU's FPUs are in order of extreme magnitude.