What exactly is Open Box on Newegg

The motherboard i really want is cheapest on newegg but its an open box deal. Does this mean its been used or whats the deal. I dont want to spend big money on a used mobo.

The motherboard i really want is cheapest on newegg but its an open box deal. Does this mean its been used or whats the deal. I dont want to spend big money on a used mobo.

Yes, basically means used like-new. The item was returned by another customer for whatever reason, and the factory seal on the box has been broken.

So should i even consider spend $230 on newegg or shell out an extra $40 and buy it elsewhere for new

"Looking for a bargain? Newegg's Open Box Store is the place to find them!

Open box items are previously-owned products that have been returned to Newegg.com. This store includes products from across our website, often including items such as laptops, LCD and plasma TVs, monitors and computer systems. Please bear in mind that due to the varying quality of testing, you are taking a risk when purchasing open box products.

Open box items carry a limited return policy and should be tested thoroughly when they are received. Be sure to read the open box return policy before you purchase one of these items."

They are returned items that may or may not have been used, and may or may not have all accessories.

careful, like PhiberOptik said they may or may not have all accessories.  depending on what product mobo it is it could be missing anything from the I/O shield to something more major like the thermal armor on the asus sabertooth.  I found a really cheap sabertooth that was newegg's open box but there were several reviews saying that they didnt receive the thermal armor on the mobo and newegg would not return cause it was stated in the open box policy. 

it could come with everything but might not and you'd be out of luck.  kept me from buying a 220$ mobo for 120$

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Newegg has open box! Cool I love open box! Got a case with PSU for half price and cpu cooler half price. I can live with the lil scratch

They are returned items that may or may not have been used, and may or may not have all accessories.

...and may or may not have issues of all kinds...i will never buy an open box product, if it's been returned then it's likely that it has a problem, wheter it's a dead dimm slot on the motherboard or not working audio chips, or a GPU or PSU that has very bad coil whine....a monitor full of dead pixels...etc.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR