Home Schooling / Home Instruction

I am curious, with as many intelligent individuals we have on this site I thought I would ask.

There are many different point of views on this subject but I most asking specifically on the education aspect.

Thanks.

If this becomes controversial I will ask to close this thread. Be nice. Keep it civil. Thanks

*Edit

Thanks to all your input and thoughts. If anyone has questions about homeschooling, you are most welcome to ask me.

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

the "does home schooling provide better education", this very much depends on who is teaching it, so i picked turnip.

(Here in the UK at least "public school" and "private school" is actually the same, with the opposite being "state school" not sure if this is the case anywhere else.)

I would say that homeschooling COULD provide better education, but only when someone who can teach is teaching it.  Also, yea.. social skills...

fyi there's a lot of different ways to home school. you got some that stay at home and do all the work and the parents do the teaching. othes that go to homeschooling group were one parent knows what he is doing with say math and then another parent that does English etc. also half at school and half at home etc.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

public and home schooling suck, just google random garbage and you'll eventually fill your mind with the same facts over time....or I'm the only person like that no idea
never cared much for school, would just show up, get good grades and wait for the day to end and thought nothing of it. Felt like a huge waste of my time and I'm glad I'm finally past it

If done correctly, homeschooled kids will receive a much better education than any school can provide. Parents know their kids best. 

The problem is, if your kid is homeschooled, your kid might have a hard time socializing when he/she gets to college. 

So either send your kid to a public school for a certain period of time, or make sure your child develops socializing skills as well.

There is a reason why there is a stereotype about why homeschooled kids are believed to be "freaks". (trust me, I met some amazing kids who were homeschooled)

I would homeschool my child, if public education remains to be shit like it is now here in the US.

(If I ever have kids. I don't want kids....)

I produce music!

Social skills during the developmental period are crucial and pave the way later in life.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

There are two things to note when it comes to education it is not a one sided thing. For education nowadays you need a competent teacher and a willing to learn student. I know I've learned more from reading and studying across the Internet than at school, schools offer more sociability opportunities unless you got bullied from the get-go and no one cared then sorry for you. It a big toss-up, I know kids that are smarter than any high school student and are in the elementary range and vice versa. It boils down to am I willing to learn and have a good teacher. Another thing I hate schools for now that I see it from afar, creativity is removed from schools, talented kids are getting wasted there. Education is still in a learning process to it get it right for everyone that is in the age of going to K-12.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

Exposure to a diversity of thought breeds innovation and brighter minds. Can't accomplish that when you're alone with someone who is more than likely not qualified.
This is especially relevant in STEM. Given the low scientific literacy among adults of most western nations... Nothing good can come of a scientifically illiterate person attempting to teach what is arguably one of the most important fields of education.
As other have said... social skills. 

I'll put it this way: I'd only ever consider adopting a kid if I could put them through an educational system somewhere in Scandinavia, Germany or the Netherlands. Maybe I could impart some sense of wonder about the cosmos to them, maybe some sense of how to ask questions about nature and reality. But I sure as shit wouldn't allow myself to teach everything that a Human being needs to function and be useful.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Social skills during the developmental period are crucial and pave the way later in life.

If done correctly, homeschooled kids will receive a much better education than any school can provide. Parents know their kids best. 

The problem is, if your kid is homeschooled, your kid might have a hard time socializing when he/she gets to college. 

So either send your kid to a public school for a certain period of time, or make sure your child develops socializing skills as well.

There is a reason why there is a stereotype about why homeschooled kids are believed to be "freaks". (trust me, I met some amazing kids who were homeschooled)

I would homeschool my child, if public education remains to be shit like it is now here in the US.

I think you miss out on social development being homeschooled. Nearly everyone I've talked to who has been homeschooled the better part of their years are really awkward people to be around.

not all homeschooling programs are anti-social and by them self 24/7

-snip - lack in social skills later on (know this from experience of classmates that used to be home schooled)

it all depends on the schooling

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

Hence why I said nearly everyone.

In general though people apparently aren't schooling them correctly because the kids end up being socially awkward.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I was home schooled, but I'm not the average creepy one. Lol. I just got into college so I assume I had a good education foundation. Home schooling could defiantly be abused by dumb parents, who wouldn't teach a damn thing.

Only thing I missed about public school was sports or the weight room. I'd probably be in better physical shape because of sports, but I'm working on that. I feel like I'm more socially awkward, but when someone talks to me I can hold my own, I'd just prefer not to talk to someone, but that's more because I'm a shy person. I have to get to know the person before I feel really comfortable talking to them.

I'd probably put my kids in public school for sports, but also home school them at some point.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

^Mean Girls snippet tho.

I know a guy who was homeschooled until he was in 7th grade. I remember him being really lost and struggling to fit in a huge public middle school. 

It depends on the schooling but it's just hard for a parent to provide a similar environment a public school can provide.

I produce music!

Ok to start there is a very common response here that is very much a strong myth and one that I kind of knew I would get but I was hoping it would not happen since I was asking about the educational aspect; Homeschoolers miss-out on socializing with others or they become socially awkward because of having been homeschooled etc. This is one of the biggest misconceptions about homeschoolers or jokes that go around. Though awkwardness does happen, I was one of those, but this is due to my own personality trait. I do not like to be around people by choice, I like my space and I am bit of an introvert. Before you say HA! You just proved my point that HSr's are socially retarded my brother was the complete opposite of myself being a very outward person, very social and we were both homeschooled during the same period of time. Social skills have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you are public schooled or homeschooled. Homeschoolers do interact with others all the time, matter of fact I had a lot of friends that I hung out with, just had to wait till they were out of school though as I was done by noon everyday. My friends envied me for this but what can I say, if the public school would let me do my work at the same pace I would still be out at noon or earlier. (I didn't start school till 8 or 9am) On average Homeschoolers do and /or participate in afterschool activities, clubs and other things just public schooled student do. So the Socially retarded argument is a mute argument.

The second misconception is the Homeschoolers are undereducated. This can and does happen in about the 1% range on average. Parents that don't care or abuse the system will maintain the absolute minimum for the student. It is sad and unfortunately the news media focuses on this way to much. Homeschooling in the US is the fastest growing secondary education system (private school is second to homeschooling) due to the vastly improved educational benefits students receive. Ivy league universities and colleges will accept a student if they respond they are home schooled over public schooled even if a SAT or ACT score is lower than the public schooled. I know this as a fact as I have access to 10 letters from 10 ivy league schools admitting so (the letters are not mine they my dads he received after writing 12 schools asking certain questions in regards to their acceptance of homeschoolers). The reasons for this are; strong self study skills, higher testing,  better skills of diplomacy, peer to peer associations/interactions and better personality, behavior, self esteem traits.

I was public educated from k-6 grade, because of certain conditions (a long story) I ended up finishing school at home my 7-12 grade. I and my father became very involved in what Homeschooling was and has become. Any of the replies I give below are not intentionally condescending but based in information I learn from my time as a homeschooler and today as a homeschool parent. I do not regret having been homeschooled as the public school I attend was severely holding up my education (not to mention sucked) as I was not challenged enough or I was bored, school was to slow for me. But that was me.

People really shouldn't be home-schooled because they get less education and lack in social skills later on (know this from experience of classmates that used to be home schooled)

This is about as false a statement it could be (sorry). A study was conduct several years ago (with in the last 5-8 in the USA) that showed that on average Homeschoolers' developed stronger social skills and received a higher acceptance rate from Ivy league colleges over public educated students due to higher self study abilities, higher testing,  better skills of diplomacy and peer to peer associations/interaction, better personality, behavior and self esteem traits

Your experience with those classmates are a 1 in 1000 situation. The awkwardness is either personality or coincidental to their environment and their lower educational development could be due to the parents lack of ability to teach (this does happen parents want to teach but find out they unable to do so). It is not uncommon for parents to be unable to homeschool, home schooling is not for everyone and a good homeschool program will try to convey this point and help as much as possible. It is the hardest for most parents for children in grades k-3 to teach as some do not understand how teach the most basic ideas, generally it is easier to start at the 4th grade as parents are able speak on a level the student can understand, frustration teaching a 5 year old on how to write, read, or add is hard as it is a perspective thing. Children require repetition at this age, 4th graders do not need it nearly as much.

I think you miss out on social development being homeschooled. Nearly everyone I've talked to who has been homeschooled the better part of their years are really awkward people to be around.

Social development is not controlled by the amount of people you interact in a school environment but doe contribute some, it is actually determined by the time you are 5-6 years old. A physiatrist can tell you this. Education plays the most in the influence of how social skills are developed the more knowledgeable you are the more social you are able to be, personality also plays a strong part in this as well.

the "does home schooling provide better education", this very much depends on who is teaching it, so i picked turnip.

This is both correct and a little incorrect. The competence of the parent teaching has a lot to do with initial educational development but once you reach a certain age you ability to learn is influenced more on your desire to learn and retain what is taught. On average once a child has reached 10-12 and self study become normal a student can comprehend most of the content with little to some interaction from the parent in about 50%, 25% require some more interaction, last 25% require constant interaction.

(Here in the UK at least "public school" and "private school" is actually the same, with the opposite being "state school" not sure if this is the case anywhere else.)

I would say that homeschooling COULD provide better education, but only when someone who can teach is teaching it.  Also, yea.. social skills...

I cant argue with you on the UK schooling I have little knowledge there but social skills develop on their own. A stronger education will help define stronger social skills.

fyi there's a lot of different ways to home school. you got some that stay at home and do all the work and the parents do the teaching. othes that go to homeschooling group were one parent knows what he is doing with say math and then another parent that does English etc. also half at school and half at home etc.

This happens sometimes, especially in farm communities. Parent team up and use their strengths to teach.

In the US, in most states, all homeschooled student have to be visited by a licensed teacher every so often so students do not fall behind a standard.

public and home schooling suck, just google random garbage and you'll eventually fill your mind with the same facts over time....or I'm the only person like that no idea
never cared much for school, would just show up, get good grades and wait for the day to end and thought nothing of it. Felt like a huge waste of my time and I'm glad I'm finally past it

Sounds like you had the same experience I had. I hated school until I was homeschooled, than I learned at my pace, quickly, I learned more and I didn't have to wait for anyone else to catch up before moving on to the next lesson. I had more free time to do the things I wanted to do.

Yes. But they wont have any social issues unless you didn't raise them well.

Again the social argument. This is so common a thought and so untrue.

There are two things to note when it comes to education it is not a one sided thing. For education nowadays you need a competent teacher and a willing to learn student. I know I've learned more from reading and studying across the Internet than at school, schools offer more sociability opportunities unless you got bullied from the get-go and no one cared then sorry for you. It a big toss-up, I know kids that are smarter than any high school student and are in the elementary range and vice versa. It boils down to am I willing to learn and have a good teacher. Another thing I hate schools for now that I see it from afar, creativity is removed from schools, talented kids are getting wasted there. Education is still in a learning process to it get it right for everyone that is in the age of going to K-12.

I agree with you. In the us it is about pushing kids thru more than focusing on the educational aspect. The current US system focuses on the wrong things and misses the one that really need help and drag down those that can excel well independently.

Exposure to a diversity of thought breeds innovation and brighter minds. Can't accomplish that when you're alone with someone who is more than likely not qualified.
This is especially relevant in STEM. Given the low scientific literacy among adults of most western nations... Nothing good can come of a scientifically illiterate person attempting to teach what is arguably one of the most important fields of education.
As other have said... social skills. 

I'll put it this way: I'd only ever consider adopting a kid if I could put them through an educational system somewhere in Scandinavia, Germany or the Netherlands. Maybe I could impart some sense of wonder about the cosmos to them, maybe some sense of how to ask questions about nature and reality. But I sure as shit wouldn't allow myself to teach everything that a Human being needs to function and be useful.

You are so very wrong. If given the right motivation and material a child will learn past their parent limitations and excel, this has happened many times. I personally know several kids that parents did not graduate high school, they homeschooled and motivated their kids to learn better than they did. In the end the parents became the students while their children became the teachers because with some help the parent were able to set a good foundation for the children and in high school the children were giving the lessons to their parents at the same time they were learning it.

You have the freedom to not believe me but this is a true story.

Very true. Home Schooling by law (in the US) has to be overseen by licensed teachers to ensure students are keeping up with standards.

Hence why I said nearly everyone.

In general though people apparently aren't schooling them correctly because the kids end up being socially awkward.

Untrue.

I was home schooled, but I'm not the average creepy one. Lol. I just got into college so I assume I had a good education foundation. Home schooling could defiantly be abused by dumb parents, who wouldn't teach a damn thing.

Only thing I missed about public school was sports or the weight room. I'd probably be in better physical shape because of sports, but I'm working on that. I feel like I'm more socially awkward, but when someone talks to me I can hold my own, I'd just prefer not to talk to someone, but that's more because I'm a shy person. I have to get to know the person before I feel really comfortable talking to them.

I'd probably put my kids in public school for sports, but also home school them at some point.

Very true.

Homeschoolers can still participate in public school sport, most states support dual enrollment for this purpose. Though some districts are still fighting for this. I am sorry to see you missed out.

<snip>

I know a guy who was homeschooled until he was in 7th grade. I remember him being really lost and struggling to fit in a huge public middle school. 

It depends on the schooling but it's just hard for a parent to provide a similar environment a public school can provide.

This can happen sometimes, especially if the kid is a single child. But this is not uncommon for single children that were public schooled the whole time as well.

You are correct a parent cannot provide the same environment but that part of the reason as well. Homeschool children have more time to spend with their parents, this is part of the reason.

I apologize if this lengthy but I wanted to reply to all everybody. If I miss you it is because you replied while I typed this up. :D

*Edit

Apologies for lack of reference links as I am working on getting those, they are not in my possession. I have to request permission to scan and post the letters my dad has. As for the studies I will have to find online version to get to them. My dad has those studies but due to the source and the position he held at the time he had access to them I cannot scan them post them with the authors permission and that is impossible for me at this time, they are public but just not the versions my dad has, they are official documents.

*2nd edit

see my post further in I have added links on studies and articles. I will add more links later.

Edited by SansVarnic

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Ok so what you've replied with is basically anecdotal. Are there any studies that confirm your beliefs on the subject? Outcomes in STEM testing for instance would be a good indicator.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Ok so what you've replied with is basically anecdotal. Are there any studies that confirm your beliefs on the subject? Outcomes in STEM testing for instance would be a good indicator.

Yes there many studies, a simple search online will bring you a decent result. I do have references but at the moment I don't have it with me, my dad has most of that research. As I said, my replies are based on my experiences personally involved and from those references, such as the letters I mentioned. So not so much anecdotal. I cannot quote directly so I have paraphrased and yes everything I have accounted for is true and factual. Unfortunately my ability to reference specifically is rather incidental as I'll have to wait until I can get to his place to retrieve the information.

*edit

I also mentioned that there were studies done in my post above about 5-8 years ago but I will add the studies lasted at various lengths

*2nd edit

http://www.successful-homeschooling.com/social-disadvantages-of-homeschooling.html

http://news.heartland.org/newspaper-article/2012/11/01/study-homeschoolers-happier-better-adjusted-college

http://www.sonlight.com/blog/2010/04/awkward-homeschoolers.html

http://www.pbs.org/parents/education/homeschooling/socialization-tackling-homeschoolings-s-word/

I will have to find the actual studies but here is a start.

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

My sister and I were homechooled for a bit over 9 moths, becuase my parents didn't really have choice (they were traveling a lot for work, and we were with them)

To be completly honest, I didn't notice any difference between being homeschooled, being in a private school or being in a public school.

I have tried all three and I didn't really care for any of them. And next summer when my daughter starts in school, she will be attending the local public school.

And OP, just a general advice. When you make claims and mention studies, it's a good idea to actually link those studies or atleast mention them by name.

I know they probably can be googled, but you are the one making a claim and therefor you should provide the evidence.  

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

My sister and I were homechooled for a bit over 9 moths, becuase my parents didn't really have choice (they were traveling a lot for work, and we were with them)

To be completly honest, I didn't notice any difference between being homeschooled, being in a private school or being in a public school.

I have tried all three and I didn't really care for any of them. And next summer when my daughter starts in school, she will be attending the local public school.

And OP, just a general advice. When you make claims and mention studies, it's a good idea to actually link those studies or atleast mention them by name.

I know they probably can be googled, but you are the one making a claim and therefor you should provide the evidence.  

Thanks for the advice but I am working on that. I was unable to at first because the information isn't, unfortunately on hand at the moment.

I made an edit to my post. I don't make claims, my replies are all first hand accounts.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Thanks for the advice but I am working on that. I was unable to at first because the information isn't, unfortunately on hand at the moment.

I made an edit to my post. I don't make claims, my replies are all first hand accounts.

i understood that most of the claims would be mostly anecdotal, and I would never say that your personal experiences would require an external source. 

However, when you make a claim like:

The second misconception is the Homeschoolers are undereducated. This can and does happen in about the 1% range on average.

I would consider it a positive claim that requires some sort of study to back it up. 

If you are editing in those source refrences, then it's all good.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

http://nheri.org/

http://www.hslda.org/docs/study/ray2009/2009_Ray_StudyFINAL.pdf - most extensive study done on homeschooling to the year 2009.

http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/200908100.asp - article about above study.

http://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ682480 - study

https://nces.ed.gov/pubs2009/2009030.pdf - federal statistic on homeschooling

http://nces.ed.gov/ - provides statics on public schooling and home schooling

http://www.nheri.org/research.html - a homeschool research group, studies and reports on homeschooling.

http://www.homeschooliowa.org/ - State of Iowa homeschool resource.

If my dad lets me post those letter I mentioned I will, waiting for an answer.

This is best links I could find right now I will do a more extensive search if anyone is interested.

*edit

In edition to, my homeschool experience was probably the best thing to happen me personally. If my parents had not done what they did for me I would not have done well as I was losing all interest in school all together. Home schooling is not for everyone and not everyone is up to doing homeschooling. It is a choice (of course) but one you make to get more involved in your child and their education.

Please don't think I posted this as a way to promote Homeschooling. I was simply looking for a response and got it. I got a bit caught up in my replies to correct some of the more common myths. My apologies.

Thank you to all that did the poll. I look forward to more poll numbers. :D

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

i understood that most of the claims would be mostly anecdotal, and I would never say that your personal experiences would require an external source. 

However, when you make a claim like:

I would consider it a positive claim that requires some sort of study to back it up. 

If you are editing in those source refrences, then it's all good.

No problem. Thank you. 

I didn't mean to get hostile (If I was).

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I know someone who was home-schooled. S/he constantly complains about the education department, it kind of makes me feel like I've made the wrong choices. I honestly do not think a person who was home-schooled receives a higher level of education than a kid who went to public school and vice versa.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Code of Conduct ■ Suggestions ■ Report a Bug ■ FAQ with Windspeed36 ■ Useful Links ■ Memes

Based on personal experience, I feel that the "social experience" you get from public school, specifically high school, is more harmful than beneficial.

As for educational quality, that's a little harder to judge.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On 8/26/2015 at 7:01 AM, Jimbillroo Digital said:

I know someone who was home-schooled. S/he constantly complains about the education department, it kind of makes me feel like I've made the wrong choices. I honestly do not think a person who was home-schooled receives a higher level of education than a kid who went to public school and vice versa.

May I ask why?

There are a lot of factors that go into how education is measured in homeschooling.

On 8/26/2015 at 7:07 AM, Trik said:

Based on personal experience, I feel that the "social experience" you get from public school, specifically high school, is more harmful than beneficial.

As for educational quality, that's a little harder to judge.

I couldn't agree with you more, at least based on todays public school atmosphere.

The educational aspect varies; parent and student. The parent has to be involved, they learn just as much initially. The student has to become motivated at first, afterward its easy. Based on personal experience the educational benefit was 10fold, but the same isn't for everybody, once I regained my desire to learn again I couldn't be stopped but for others; some just do not have the desire to go beyond a minimum no matter if they are at home or public school.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER