GPU fans go mental at startup!

CharlieWaflesBR
Go to solution Solved by JkB_SlH,

The high fan spin at startup is normal as there is no drivers running yet.

But once you reach the login screen it should settle up in few moments.

If not, just reinstall driver.

P.s, recheck AB settings

Hey guys. So, my new GTX 970's Fans go mental when I boot up my computer sometimes . As it's booting up, everything seems to be fine. But sometimes, after I type my password and my startup programs start popping up, the fans on my GPU start spinning very fast and it gets very noisy for a couple of seconds and then it goes back to idle speeds (30%). What's weird is that it doesn't happen all the time, it's more like 50/50 to be honest. It started happening, I think, since I set a custom fan profile for my card using MSI Afterburner. Is this normal? Should I be worried? I should point out that the GPU runs extremely cool under load and doesn't seem to be malfunctioning at all.

Cheers.

P.s, recheck AB settings

CPU: i7-4790k || Mobo: MSI Gaming 5 Z97|| Ram: GSkill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X r9 390x || Case: CoolerMaster cm storm scout 2 || Storage: samsung evo 850 500GB , WD Black 3TB , WD Green 2TB , WD 1TB external (backups/Media) , Seagate 1TB external (Backups) || PSU: Seasonic X-Series 750W 80+ GOLD || Displays: Samsung C24FG70 , Dell U2414H || Keyboard: Logitech G810 || Mouse: Logitech G502 proteus spectrum || Headset: Logitech G633

Hey guys. So, my new GTX 970's Fans go mental when I boot up my computer sometimes . As it's booting up, everything seems to be fine. But sometimes, after I type my password and my startup programs start popping up, the fans on my GPU start spinning very fast and it gets very noisy for a couple of seconds and then it goes back to idle speeds (30%). What's weird is that it doesn't happen all the time, it's more like 50/50 to be honest. It started happening, I think, since I set a custom fan profile for my card using MSI Afterburner. Is this normal? Should I be worried? I should point out that the GPU runs extremely cool under load and doesn't seem to be malfunctioning at all.

Cheers.

That's quite normal, and your lucky you don't have the G1 Gaming versions, they would have you even more worried with the amount of noise they throw out at start up. I have noticed however that unlike my GTX 970 G1, my GTX 650Ti OC 2GB has its fans run at a constant 30% no matter what-even during startup, so maybe its just a quirk with the 900 series.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Cheers.

normal. When I turn off my PC CPU fan goes to a 100%. It is supposed to prevent damage. imagine the program not running and your fan speed being stuck at 30% while your GPU slowly starts melting in its own shell.

It solely is protection that has some weird moments it "bugs" in. It is not a bad "bug" however if you can even call it one.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

P.s, recheck AB settings

What does AB mean? Sorry, I'm relatively new to this.

That's quite normal, and your lucky you don't have the G1 Gaming versions, they would have you even more worried with the amount of noise they throw out at start up. I have noticed however that unlike my GTX 970 G1, my GTX 650Ti OC 2GB has its fans run at a constant 30% no matter what-even during startup, so maybe its just a quirk with the 900 series.

Got it. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that's normal. 

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Might be the way the 900s work since my 770 doesn't do anything alike. Instead my CPU fan does :D

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

Got it. Thanks!

Also just one thing. Fans ramping up never is a bad thing( or at least not uber terrible).

Fans NOT ramping up however is a terrible thing.

3.Use

What does AB mean? Sorry, I'm relatively new to this.

Msi AfterBurner :)

CPU: i7-4790k || Mobo: MSI Gaming 5 Z97|| Ram: GSkill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X r9 390x || Case: CoolerMaster cm storm scout 2 || Storage: samsung evo 850 500GB , WD Black 3TB , WD Green 2TB , WD 1TB external (backups/Media) , Seagate 1TB external (Backups) || PSU: Seasonic X-Series 750W 80+ GOLD || Displays: Samsung C24FG70 , Dell U2414H || Keyboard: Logitech G810 || Mouse: Logitech G502 proteus spectrum || Headset: Logitech G633

it is most of the times actually an anti-dust feature which can often be altered in thebios

Might be the way the 900s work since my 770 doesn't do anything alike. Instead my CPU fan does :D

My old 760 did the same

My old 760 did the same

So you had the fan ramping up upon startup after creating a profile?

3.Use

it is most of the times actually an anti-dust feature which can often be altered in thebios

Never heard of that.

3.Use

So you had the fan ramping up upon startup after creating a profile?

I didnt create a profile, it simply acted that way as long as there was no proper drivers running.

Including while installing windows for example.

It will run at 100% just for a second and normally begins before windows loads.

My old 760 did the same

My Gigabyte windforce 780 does it to.

Sounds like a small jet taking off at 100% fan speed.

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz | ASUS P8Z77-V LX2 | 2x4GB kingston hyper-x genesis @1600MHz | Gigabyte windforce GTX 780 3xOC rev.2 | 240GB kingston v300 & 500GB seagate 7200rpm | 

Corsair GS600 |  1440p Dell U2515H & 1080p 60Hz tv/monitor | Asetek based AIO 120mm liquid cpu cooler

My Gigabyte windforce 780 does it to.

Sounds like a small jet taking off at 100% fan speed.

That still hasn't changed either with newer cards.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL