"Project Fallen" ~ Design and Development Log

MzCatieB

This would be so awesome. It would be a whole new take on the arena shooter genre, if that is the route this is going

The graphics will be semi realistic, (Hopefully Cod/counterstrike level or above).

you will see the general feel of the game 1s i get some screen shots together.

Destruction is easy to do, A awesome thing with UDK i can set-up a Havok and a PhysX variation for destruction, infact i can make a map 100% destructible but it will be leggy as hell to play on

Awesome. I like it.

One very important aspect of the buildings collapsing that I forgot to say:

While the building is falling, the physics of the players should be relative to the building and not the outer world. What I mean is that as the building is falling, if the players are falling too, the damage when they land and the building crashes down is not calculated as though they fell from 50 stories, but as though they fell from wherever they are in the building to the surface they land on.

So, as the building is falling, they are in a sort of 0G environment and either are being pushed against the ceiling, or are floating as they fall at relatively the same speed as the building does, but then when the building hits and they strike the floor, the damage is only the distance from the point they were at when the building hit. This way they can survive as they would have only fallen a few feet, according to the game. 

But that depends on how you do the falling damage. Is it simply a matter of "you fell X feet and so you get X damage" or "your momentum when you hit was X, so you get X damage". The latter would be far more realistic (and fun imo), but would make this particular situation (with the building falling, but them surviving) harder to allow.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

The graphics will be semi realistic, (Hopefully Cod/counterstrike level or above).

you will see the general feel of the game 1s i get some screen shots together.

Destruction is easy to do, A awesome thing with UDK i can set-up a Havok and a PhysX variation for destruction, infact i can make a map 100% destructible but it will be leggy as hell to play on

PhysX NAO

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Also, if you want ideas for what physical objects could be in the levels (both average/run of the mill and things you would not normally think of that would be there), just ask. 

I have a crazy imagination. One example would be a room filled with costumes at the Circus. Varying from a bear (the cute, teddy, cuddly kind) to a ballerina outfit, to other various "circus" oriented stuff, to whatever.

I can come up with ambiance, detail, and atmosphere stuff all day. 

Oh, and one other question, what will the atmosphere of the levels be like? Dark and gritty (blood stains, dead bodies, dark colors with heavy contrast), light and clean (the environment looks brand new to start with until the destruction stuff happens), or somewhere in between?

I know that is very similar to the cartoony vs realistic question, but this is more so like comparing the atmosphere of a Call of Duty level (realistic, but not gory) to Gears of War (blood everywhere) or any combination, thereof. It is hard to describe what I am talking about though.

Is this going to be something you want to rate PG, PG13, or R (for violence/bloodiness/gore), specifically for realism's sake, in the sense of "how are people going to die" and "what is going to be visible when they die"? Puff of blood or head exploding when someone takes a shotgun to the face?

Those British equivalent ratings are here:

PG = 7
PG13 = 12
R = 16/18

Sorry about all the questions, as I am just curious. You do not have to answer them if you are still unsure of that part or do not want to bother with these types of questions until you have the basics built (like the actual, physical, levels, character models, etc etc). 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Wow, this is why I love fallowing threads like this. Those level designs sound absolutely amazing, and I'd throw all the moneyz at it!

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

I'd be happy to help with testing. :)

I've experience mapping in the source engine so that might help somehow. :S

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I NEED WEAPONS

I need a list of the following weapons to do:

Assault Rifle

Sniper Rifle

LMG

SMG

Pistol

Shotguns

Launchers (Rockets, grenades .ext)

ext.

Character artist in the Games industry.

1. Assult Rifles
  2. Pistols
  3. Sniper Rifels
  4. Launchers
  5. LMG
  6. SMG
  7. Shotgun

This would be my priority list. Maybe add some alien weapons like laser rifels or weapons with special abilitys like the Chimera weapons from Resistance 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

1. Assult Rifles
  2. Pistols
  3. Sniper Rifels
  4. Launchers
  5. LMG
  6. SMG
  7. Shotgun

This would be my priority list. Maybe add some alien weapons like laser rifels or weapons with special abilitys like the Chimera weapons from Resistance 

my plan is for every human weapon i make, i make a alien version of it aswell, with more or less the same stats just different model and reload

my plan is for every human weapon i make, i make a alien version of it aswell, with more or less the same stats just different model and reload

Do you want me to PM like ideas, Pixx?

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Do you want me to PM like ideas, Pixx?

if u want to

if u want to

Oh boy. This is gonna be good

I NEED WEAPONS

I need a list of the following weapons to do:

Assault Rifle

Sniper Rifle

LMG

SMG

Pistol

Shotguns

Launchers (Rockets, grenades .ext)

ext.

Question: Do you want to start off with reality based weapons such as Assault Rifles like the M16 and such, or do you want to go completely scifi/custom?

I can break down each category into the basic different versions that usually appear in shooters with real world versions. You can really just look at any Call of Duty game (though do not use them for balance purposes, only for general "what type of weapons" purposes)

• M16A4

Semi-automatic - 1 shot rifles, less powerful than a sniper but more powerful than a single bullet from a 3 shot/automatic, fires from a clip

FN FAL

Automatic - full auto, varies from more accurate less damaging to less accurate more damaging, varying magazine capacity depending on damage per bullet

FN Scar

3 shot rifles - moderate damage per bullet, moderate magazine size, moderate accuracy, all around weapon

R700

Semi-automatic, essentially just the bolt actions but with a clip allowing rapid fire (based on how fast you click the mouse), obviously recoil should be high

Barret 50 Cal

Single shot/bolt action, lots of power, but reload times are a pain, usually more accurate do to no recoil caused by reload times.

They are all usually the same in regards to type of fire only differing in magazine size, reload time, fire rate, and damage. 

RPD

L86 SAW

SMG

Same thing as LMG

P90 (most overpowered submachine gun of them all)

Possibly dual wield, but that could be OP depending on balance issues.

1 shot weak pistol - weaker shots, less recoil, but more accurate with a larger magazine to accomodate firing more to get kills

3 shot pistol - high recoil, weaker damage, but 3 shot makes up for it, larger ammo capacity as it runs out quickly

rapid-fire pistol - high recoil, large magazine

Also, dual wield of course.

1 shot handcannon - Powerful, high recoil, but very damaging

M1014

Revolver shotgun - Powerful, not as much as pump action, faster fire rate, less accurate at range

Stryker

Rapid-fire shotgun - Least powerful (damage per shell), fastest fire rate (empty 1 clip in 5-10 seconds), least accurate at range 

AA-12

Pump action - more powerful, slower fire rate, moderately (for a shotgun) accurate at range

The basic RPG launcher is an unguided (aside from aiming by the player) grenade on a rocket. As fun as it sounds, very inaccurate but powerful when it does hit.

Then there is the more modern Missile launcher which fires pretty much straight, but has less of an AoE explosion while carrying more on-hit damage. Meaning it has to hit a target to do significant damage, but when it does, the damage is indeed significant.

Also, rapid fire (fires 4 in quick succession) weak rockets. Accuracy (unless heat sinking is enabled) is not the point. Pure, raw firepower is.

Javelin (Fires a rocket that flies into the sky then strikes a pre-determined location) is always a cool weapon.

Guided missile launcher, as it sounds, is guided by the player. You fire the missile into the sky then go to a screen where guide it to strike a target. Predator missile from CoD is a good example.

Grenades:

The generic Frag grenade is always a favorite.

A Hornet Nest grenade would be awesome. These are used in prisons to stop riots. They explode into rubber balls that fly at extremely fast speeds and are incredibly painful. I would have these stun enemies while causing a tiny bit of damage but having a large (like an entire room) area of effect. It would be nice if the physics of the grenade were realistic in that when the grenade explodes, little rubber balls actually fly out, hitting players, then falling to the ground (and disappearing to counter lag/performance issues). And you only get damaged/stunned if the ball hits you.

The balls would bounce around and disappear once they stopped or slowed down enough. In other words, the grenades do not have a simple Orb explosion radius to deal damage, but do so through the balls that come out of it like most grenades in video games. It may be hard to code/design, but it would be awesome.

Decoy grenades to distract enemies with sounds/gunfire.

Semtex (sticky) grenades like plasma grenades in the Halo series, although they should have a logarithmic damage output based on distance from the center of the explosion. This would mean that you take the most damage when closest to the explosion, but as you get farther away, the damage falls off quickly. 

Basic Flash Bang and Stun grenades are not a must, but would be nice. The difference between a Hornet Nest grenade and a Stun grenade would be that Hornet Nest's have a large AoE but shorter stun time and lower damage while the reverse is true of a Stun grenade. 

Spike grenades, more lethal versions of Hornet Nests, working the same way without the bouncing around aspect. 

Incendiary grenades, grenades that light people on fire. They should last about 1 second and, if game engine permits, light the environment around them on fire, causing destruction and creating a hazard for players to avoid until it is gone (should last 15 second imo)

Poison gas grenades, creates a cloud of gas that is almost transparent  or has a very short duration (so as to keep from being used as a smoke grenade) that causes players to lose health while in it.

Smoke grenades, for cover when there is none. Various colors can be made.

Mines:

Claymores, fairly obvious

Shock mines, stun mines basically, less damage, but incapacitates players for some time

Trip wires, can be attached/upgraded to/from all mines, are less visible, but take longer to set up.

Poison gas mines, the same thing as grenades, but more potent, trading the ability to throw them for more power.

Types of RPGs (Rocket Propelled Grenade) launchers and missile systems:

Meaning, if I get to someone and hit them with a melee weapon, will it go into an animation to kill them, or will it just do damage and we will continue fighting as usual?

I suggest the second option, as it is more fluid. 

As for what types:

Knives of various types such as, poison coated, stun (electrified), projectile (can be fired), and normal

Knuckles, same as Knives

One question to ask: Will melee attacks exist? If so, will they be animations? 

And that is all I got. I will add more later, I am sure. Do note that I only used real life weapons as basic designs, but you can go with the Resistance (second feature) thing too, which I would advocate because It. Is. Awesome.

One other thing to consider: Will damage be just HP damage, or will it be locational and will that have an adverse affect on players?

In other words, if I shoot someone in the foot, will it do more damage than in the leg? If I shoot them in the leg, will they limp?

Headshots have always been a thing in shooters, but the rest have largely been overlooked. Having the physics engine and being a destructible environment, I would imagine the same would hold true for player bodies. 

Though, that also begs another question, exactly how "realistic" do you want this game to be? This "realistic or not" question is not in regards to the appearance or atmosphere, but the mechanics of the game. Do you want players to be hurt according to how they were damaged (limping when shot in the foot, having limited life, only surviving 1-3 shots, depending on location, etc)? Will players be able to lean around corners? Crouch? Crawl? Climb? Etc.

If they can be hurt locationaly and be adversely affected as such, will they be able to administer aid to themselves?

If so, medical kits and the like. I need to go atm, but I will come back and add more later. 

Edit: Formatted to destroy that horrible wall of text.

† Christian Member †

Question: Do you want to start off with reality based weapons such as Assault Rifles like the M16 and such, or do you want to go completely scifi/custom?

I can break down each category into the basic different versions that usually appear in shooters with real world versions. You can really just look at any Call of Duty game (though do not use them for balance purposes, only for general "what type of weapons" purposes)

• M16A4

Semi-automatic - 1 shot rifles, less powerful than a sniper but more powerful than a single bullet from a 3 shot/automatic, fires from a clip

FN FAL

Automatic - full auto, varies from more accurate less damaging to less accurate more damaging, varying magazine capacity depending on damage per bullet

FN Scar

3 shot rifles - moderate damage per bullet, moderate magazine size, moderate accuracy, all around weapon

Single shot/bolt action, lots of power, but reload times are a pain, usually more accurate do to no recoil caused by reload times.

R700

Semi-automatic, essentially just the bolt actions but with a clip allowing rapid fire (based on how fast you click the mouse), obviously recoil should be high

Barret 50 Cal

They are all usually the same in regards to type of fire only differing in magazine size, reload time, fire rate, and damage. 

RPD

L86 SAW

SMG

Same thing as LMG

P90 (most overpowered submachine gun of them all)

Possibly dual wield, but that could be OP depending on balance issues.

1 shot handcannon - Powerful, high recoil, but very damaging

1 shot weak pistol - weaker shots, less recoil, but more accurate with a larger magazine to accomodate firing more to get kills

3 shot pistol - high recoil, weaker damage, but 3 shot makes up for it, larger ammo capacity as it runs out quickly

rapid-fire pistol - high recoil, large magazine

Also, dual wield of course.

Pump action - more powerful, slower fire rate, moderately (for a shotgun) accurate at range

M1014

Revolver shotgun - Powerful, not as much as pump action, faster fire rate, less accurate at range

Stryker

Rapid-fire shotgun - Least powerful (damage per shell), fastest fire rate (empty 1 clip in 5-10 seconds), least accurate at range 

AA-12

Types of RPGs (Rocket Propelled Grenade) launchers and missile systems:

The basic RPG launcher is an unguided (aside from aiming by the player) grenade on a rocket. As fun as it sounds, very inaccurate but powerful when it does hit.

Then there is the more modern Missile launcher which fires pretty much straight, but has less of an AoE explosion while carrying more on-hit damage. Meaning it has to hit a target to do significant damage, but when it does, the damage is indeed significant.

Also, rapid fire (fires 4 in quick succession) weak rockets. Accuracy (unless heat sinking is enabled) is not the point. Pure, raw firepower is.

Javelin (Fires a rocket that flies into the sky then strikes a pre-determined location) is always a cool weapon.

Guided missile launcher, as it sounds, is guided by the player. You fire the missile into the sky then go to a screen where guide it to strike a target. Predator missile from CoD is a good example.

Grenades:

The generic Frag grenade is always a favorite.

A Hornet Nest grenade would be awesome. These are used in prisons to stop riots. They explode into rubber balls that fly at extremely fast speeds and are incredibly painful. I would have these stun enemies while causing a tiny bit of damage but having a large (like an entire room) area of effect. It would be nice if the physics of the grenade were realistic in that when the grenade explodes, little rubber balls actually fly out, hitting players, then falling to the ground (and disappearing to counter lag/performance issues). And you only get damaged/stunned if the ball hits you.

The balls would bounce around and disappear once they stopped or slowed down enough. In other words, the grenades do not have a simple Orb explosion radius to deal damage, but do so through the balls that come out of it like most grenades in video games. It may be hard to code/design, but it would be awesome.

Decoy grenades to distract enemies with sounds/gunfire.

Semtex (sticky) grenades like plasma grenades in the Halo series, although they should have a logarithmic damage output based on distance from the center of the explosion. This would mean that you take the most damage when closest to the explosion, but as you get farther away, the damage falls off quickly. 

Basic Flash Bang and Stun grenades are not a must, but would be nice. The difference between a Hornet Nest grenade and a Stun grenade would be that Hornet Nest's have a large AoE but shorter stun time and lower damage while the reverse is true of a Stun grenade. 

Spike grenades, more lethal versions of Hornet Nests, working the same way without the bouncing around aspect. 

Incendiary grenades, grenades that light people on fire. They should last about 1 second and, if game engine permits, light the environment around them on fire, causing destruction and creating a hazard for players to avoid until it is gone (should last 15 second imo)

Poison gas grenades, creates a cloud of gas that is almost transparent  or has a very short duration (so as to keep from being used as a smoke grenade) that causes players to lose health while in it.

Smoke grenades, for cover when there is none. Various colors can be made.

Mines:

Claymores, fairly obvious

Shock mines, stun mines basically, less damage, but incapacitates players for some time

Trip wires, can be attached/upgraded to/from all mines, are less visible, but take longer to set up.

Poison gas mines, the same thing as grenades, but more potent, trading the ability to throw them for more power.

One question to ask: Will melee attacks exist? If so, will they be animations? 

Meaning, if I get to someone and hit them with a melee weapon, will it go into an animation to kill them, or will it just do damage and we will continue fighting as usual?

I suggest the second option, as it is more fluid. 

As for what types:

Knives of various types such as, poison coated, stun (electrified), projectile (can be fired), and normal

Knuckles, same as Knives

And that is all I got. I will add more later, I am sure. Do note that I only used real life weapons as basic designs, but you can go with the Resistance (second feature) thing too, which I would advocate because It. Is. Awesome.

One other thing to consider: Will damage be just HP damage, or will it be locational and will that have an adverse affect on players?

In other words, if I shoot someone in the foot, will it do more damage than in the leg? If I shoot them in the leg, will they limp?

Headshots have always been a thing in shooters, but the rest have largely been overlooked. Having the physics engine and being a destructible environment, I would imagine the same would hold true for player bodies. 

Though, that also begs another question, exactly how "realistic" do you want this game to be? This "realistic or not" question is not in regards to the appearance or atmosphere, but the mechanics of the game. Do you want players to be hurt according to how they were damaged (limping when shot in the foot, having limited life, only surviving 1-3 shots, depending on location, etc)? Will players be able to lean around corners? Crouch? Crawl? Climb? Etc.

If they can be hurt locationaly and be adversely affected as such, will they be able to administer aid to themselves?

If so, medical kits and the like. I need to go atm, but I will come back and add more later. 

Edit: Formatted to destroy that horrible wall of text.

Melee weapons are already designed..

im not going to reveal it till the alpha is ready, but im hoping to get a system in for them which will make the online more interesting.

Haven't seen anything about vehicles. Will there be vehicle combat such as jeeps, tanks and aircraft, or will the game be based around infantry? As for weapons, variety is always awesome, even if the stats are basically the same. People love to have a lot of choice, which brings up customization and upgrades.

Thread followed, hope to see this project succeed. :)

P.S: I went to your studio's website and saw that it is hosted by a free website company. The site looks nice, but when a company has something like .weebly or .webs in the URL it can put some people off and make the company look unprofessional. If the hosting service offers and upgrade to be hosted without the ".webs" it might be a purchase to consider.

Melee weapons are already designed..

im not going to reveal it till the alpha is ready, but im hoping to get a system in for them which will make the online more interesting.

Gotcha, then I will just throw stuff at you and you take whatever works. 

We need a gun (Assault Rifle, SMG, Pistol, wtv) that can fire tracking darts. Basically this would mean that when I shot them with the tracking dart (separate firing button), they would appear/stay on the radar/map for X amount of seconds. Perhaps even until they die and respawn (or just die if no respawns). 

It could even be an attachment. For rifles and such, it would appear below the main barrel of the gun (the lethal one) and just be another barrel on it's own. Pistols, it would be off to the side rather than under it. 

Will think of more as time goes on. But yeah, Resistance's whole "special effect for weapon" is pretty awesome. Adapting that for your game would be nice. 

† Christian Member †

Haven't seen anything about vehicles. Will there be vehicle combat such as jeeps, tanks and aircraft, or will the game be based around infantry? As for weapons, variety is always awesome, even if the stats are basically the same. People love to have a lot of choice, which brings up customization and upgrades.

Thread followed, hope to see this project succeed. :)

P.S: I went to your studio's website and saw that it is hosted by a free website company. The site looks nice, but when a company has something like .weebly or .webs in the URL it can put some people off and make the company look unprofessional. If the hosting service offers and upgrade to be hosted without the ".webs" it might be a purchase to consider.

i cant afford to make it a .com yet

when i get the funding for it i will .com it but for now im sticking with keeping it free

also with vehicles i have some idea's but i will reveal them later on when i get to that point

Gotcha, then I will just throw stuff at you and you take whatever works. 

We need a gun (Assault Rifle, SMG, Pistol, wtv) that can fire tracking darts. Basically this would mean that when I shot them with the tracking dart (separate firing button), they would appear/stay on the radar/map for X amount of seconds. Perhaps even until they die and respawn (or just die if no respawns). 

It could even be an attachment. For rifles and such, it would appear below the main barrel of the gun (the lethal one) and just be another barrel on it's own. Pistols, it would be off to the side rather than under it. 

Will think of more as time goes on. But yeah, Resistance's whole "special effect for weapon" is pretty awesome. Adapting that for your game would be nice. 

the next 3 weeks is going to be me getting character in with a weapon and animated.

1s i get that done i can build up my weapons list and then work on the first map and get testing things.

the next 3 weeks is going to be me getting character in with a weapon and animated.

1s i get that done i can build up my weapons list and then work on the first map and get testing things.

Awesome. Filled with excitement to see it develop. Good luck :D

† Christian Member †

i would like to be a beta tester but have no idea how :P 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Update: base male model sculpted, just need to lower the polly for gameplay purposes... gonna be a long fun week

male_base_sculpted_by_fringatoonstudios-

will update as i go... took me most the weekend to do this

I am offically more hyped than a hipster is after WWDC.

The model look great, and I am looking forwar to future updates

iv got to lower the polly count (Cause its been sculpted) and then add on the clothes and then i need to rig it... this week is gonna be modeling and next week will be Rigging and animation... im not gonna texture it for a while though. want it to come out right so im gonna wait a while and built it up :3 

Is there planned any sort of body/clothing damage as damage is dealt to the player?

i will see how things go, but i don't want to reveal things before i actually start doing them