Crazy Fluctuations in Core Temps (I Think)

It's kinda hard to know where to start here but i'll try to make it as breif as possible.

I recently built a new computer with the following components:

i7-4790k

-->STOCK INTEL COOLER<--

GTX970

16GB RAM

Z97S MOBO

RM650 PSU

1TB SSHD

NZXT Phantom 410 Case

Windows 7

After getting everything up running and playing ~20 minutes into Metro:Last Light w/ maxed settings my computer abruptly shut off. No hang, no BSOD, just off. I immediately suspect heat as the culprit. After a few minutes I turn my computer back on (successfully thank god) and run the burn test that I should have done in the first place (w/ prime95 iirc). 10 second in, all 4 cores were at 85-100C prompting me to panic and stop the test. I did this a few more times with different programs that net me the same result. I decide that the stock cooler is clearly not enough and order an aftermarket replacement, doing only light tasks in the mean time.

Skip ahead a few weeks and my replacement for the stock Intel CPU cooler has finally arrived at my door. (BeQuiet Dark Rock 3) After swapping it in I ran a system stability test with AIDA64. The temps were slightly better but still a toasty 70-90C. This is when I noticed a very odd pattern in the graph displayed by AIDA64 (or rather had it pointed out to me by my more hardware-savvy friend who was with me) Core temps were making huge temperature leaps between updates sometimes up to 25 degrees difference (ie 92C -> 67C -> 83C) I had noticed similar behavior with the stock cooler before but hadn't thought much of it until it was pointed out to me as abnormal.

So I guess my question is as follows: Are such temperature fluctuations abnormal as my friend says and if so what could be causing it? faulty sensor perhaps?

Oh and here's a screenshot of the AIDA64 results: iLYJSku.jpg

Thank you so much in advance for any help you can provide.

p.s. Even if these temps were stable would they even be normal for 100% load w/ my cooler?

EDIT: Bolded the name of my new cpu cooler for the people who missed it.

Your CPU should not be getting that hot. Did you clean off the old thermal paste when you changed the cooler?

get another cooler!

Your CPU should not be getting that hot. Did you clean off the old thermal paste when you changed the cooler?

he is using the stock cooler.

As I said in the post I am no longer using the stock Intel cooler and I wasn't using it when i ran the test shown in the screenshot. And yes I cleaned off and replaced the old thermal compound.

As I said in the post I am no longer using the stock Intel cooler and I wasn't using it when i ran the test shown in the screenshot. And yes I cleaned off and replaced the old thermal compound.

Remount and try again.

Sig under construction.

Remount and try again.

I'm willing to try this but I want to examine some other avenues first, the way it's situated that's kind of a 2 man job and I don't have access to a second person atm. Could that even cause the fluctuations? (ignoring the high temps for now)

I'm willing to try this but I want to examine some other avenues first, the way it's situated that's kind of a 2 man job and I don't have access to a second person atm. Could that even cause the fluctuations? (ignoring the high temps for now)

You shouldn't be getting fluctuations in temperatures unless the fan's ramping up and down - you're right.

Watch the voltage on the CPU when it fluctuates - does that fluctuate similarly?

Sig under construction.

You shouldn't be getting fluctuations in temperatures unless the fan's ramping up and down - you're right.

Watch the voltage on the CPU when it fluctuates - does that fluctuate similarly?

I'm really out of my element here regarding voltages so I'll just post another screenshot w/ the test run again instead showing voltages.

cQaDkVL.png