AETOS by Maki Role - Finished!- Update 29/07/16

Maki Role

aXljaL.jpg

Hello again!

This project is going to be run parallel to Argentum, it's a tiny ITX, air cooled build that aims to make the most of what the form factor can offer.

So a while back AMD approached me and asked if I'd like to do a build for them as part of the launch for their upcoming R9 Nano card.  Given how Argentum is shaping up to be a beastly, giant of a rig, I couldn't help but feel drawn to the idea of building something at the opposite end of the spectrum at the same time.  The brief was simple, make it small and make it powerful.  I'd like to offer a big thank you to AMD who are fully financing this project along with allowing the opportunity to begin with!

Specs:

So in lieu of the brief, I chose the following components:

CPU: Intel i7 6700k

Motherboard: EVGA Z170 Stinger

RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury Black 2400MHz

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i

Storage: 2TB Samsung 850 Evo

GPU: AMD R9 Nano

PSU: Silverstone 450W Strider Gold

Now some of you may be thinking "why no M.2" or "How come not that X99 Asrock board".  Well those would be sensible points to make.  A HyperX 480GB Predator drive is on the way, but I made a mistake.  It turns out the Stinger has a near useless Key E M.2 port, which means no Predator unfortunately.  So that's being shelved for the next build (spoilers...) instead.  As for X99, well for a start I think that board is hideous, but even if it looked good I'd have an issue.  Something doesn't quite seem right about using a CPU with near as dammit the same TDP as the dedicated GPU.  One of the key points about the Nano is its low power usage, which would be completely nullified by some mahoosive 150W+ CPU.  There's also the matter of cooling the things.  X99 CPUs need hefty cooling, meaning I'd need a bigger cooler, which would have cut my options down significantly.

Renders:

And as usual, here's a batch of renders of what the build should look like.  These are sans components as they haven't arrived yet.  The files are being sent off to the printers and Parvum Systems on Monday, fingers crossed we can get things done during the week on that end.

58uLXd.jpg

k8huy4.jpg

tbyDPV.jpg

uINoR7.jpg

HaM2Fy.jpg

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

Followed :D

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

So... im just going to follow this. I have been really interested in the nano for a mobile itx system.

Blarg

Followed, interested to see how this turns out :)

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Does it support 480mm radiators?

JK, looks great :) Is the whole case then made out of acrylic?

So... im just going to follow this. I have been really interested in the nano for a mobile itx system.

Yup, me too.

Uwaaa so cool.

Following

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

Followed :D

Holy shit that's sexy.

Thanks!

They're really very interesting. I was sent a mechanical sample last week, looks miniature next to Argentum's Titan Xs and those aren't even large cards (looking at you Asus 980ti). I'm looking forward to when the real card is delivered next week.

Followed, interested to see how this turns out :)

I'm interested to see if everything will fit as planned rofl

Does it support 480mm radiators?JK, looks great :) Is the whole case then made out of acrylic?Yup, me too.

Yeah it has room for 3x 480 rads in the sides with one of those silly Aquacomputer 840mm rads in the front :P

Actually none of the case is made from acrylic. The midplate is going to be machined from acetal and the exterior frame printed in nylon.

Uwaaa so cool.

Following

:D

Actually none of those case is made from acrylic. The midplate is going to be machined from acetal and the exterior frame printed in nylon.

Uhh Acetal *-* Love that stuff.

I thought Parvum works only with acrylic. 

Thanks!  They're really very interesting. I was sent a mechanical sample last week, looks miniature next to Argentum's Titan Xs and those aren't even large cards (looking at you Asus 980ti). I'm looking forward to when the real card is delivered next week.   

A mechanical sample? Is that just the cooler they send you then?

Blarg

Yup. They don't want to sent him a video card that isn't even released yet.

But if he gets a real card next week...

Speculations... Speculations...  :rolleyes: 

And there was already a rumored released date for the 27th...

Cannot be that long anymore until we're able to buy the Nano.

Speculations... Speculations...  :rolleyes: 

Alright. Thanks. I have just never heard of a mechanical sample before. Do look forward to seeing what that little card can do.

Blarg

so in for this! what are the dimensions on this awesome looking thing?

Finally someone prints an organic case design ! 3D printing a box is such a waste of life. I love you man !  :wub:

To be honest, I'm not quite sure what it is they sent me.  Since I don't have the other components yet I don't really have a way of testing whether this thing functions or not.  I mean it genuinely looks like a proper card, with capacitors, resistors, soldered chips the lot.  The main difference is actually the cooler itself as it purely shares the same dimensions as the retail one, it looks completely different (much more basic).

Speculations... Speculations...   :rolleyes:

You'll just have to wait and see... 

so in for this! what are the dimensions on this awesome looking thing?

It's 275x170x287mm (LxWxH) at its extremes

Finally someone prints an organic case design ! 3D printing a box is such a waste of life. I love you man !   :wub:

Cheers!  Yeah I can completely see where you're coming from.  I hate it when people don't try to make use of what 3D printing can offer over other construction methods.  I've done two smaller 3D printed cases for NUCs and with each I've tried to stick to the same principle.  Should prove interesting working at a larger scale than those.

HBpUWE.jpg

FiBeef.jpg

So a little update for today. The files have been sent off to be 3D printed. Given the size of the print they're expecting it to be ready to collect next Thursday. I've also sent off the files for the midplate and am waiting on the materials to arrive. If they do arrive tomorrow morning then there's potential for things to be cut in the afternoon. However, I they don't then I'll have to wait until next week thanks to i55 getting in the way. I'm not going this year as I'm just too busy currently, plus I'd have no proper rig to show off :P

Looking at the design, apart from the cost and issues with decent gaming OS, it would actually make a very nice media centre/gaming rig in a lounge room. There is only 1 problem that I can see however-dust (which can just be cleaned out-but it is a problem).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Looking at the design, apart from the cost and issues with decent gaming OS, it would actually make a very nice media centre/gaming rig in a lounge room. There is only 1 problem that I can see however-dust (which can just be cleaned out-but it is a problem).

I've increasingly been finding that the more open my case is, the less dust seems to get trapped in it. Loramentum despite being completely open to the elements is virtually dust free (just a light scattering like you'd find on a picture on the wall or similar), whereas my old bird in a Phantom 820 fills up quite fast. Of course this also depends on the environment they're placed in. Where I live we have hardwood flooring and most of the furniture is leather so less dust is around in general.

I've increasingly been finding that the more open my case is, the less dust seems to get trapped in it. Loramentum despite being completely open to the elements is virtually dust free (just a light scattering like you'd find on a picture on the wall or similar), whereas my old bird in a Phantom 820 fills up quite fast. Of course this also depends on the environment they're placed in. Where I live we have hardwood flooring and most of the furniture is leather so less dust is around in general.

Maybe its because of their being less still or 'dead' air then? Every single case that I own gets rapidly filled with dust-even with fine air filters. And I've got wooden floors and dust once a week.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

aXljaL.jpg

UPDATE!

So today I received a very interesting email stating that the parts had been printed! So I zipped of to collect them et voila. Must say I'm very happy with the finish, going to need next to no prepping for the next stage.

I received the mechanical sample a couple weeks back, didn't share any photos though as I felt it would be a bit boring by itself.

O6DFCB.jpg

ExhVUH.jpg

0FAL5H.jpg

8KkhAV.jpg

Banana for scale

B0zbiR.jpg

Man, this thing is absolutely gorgeous. I have no idea how people get sponsored to do builds like these, but i am glad the creative ones get to do them. As a serious ITX fanboy, i cannot wait to see where you take this thing. It's a shame the stinger didn't go with a normal M.2 slot on the back of the board like the other Z170 ITX boards, would have loved to see that on there.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

The card looks huge next to the case parts. Then you remember just how small the card is.

That third piece of the case without holes confuses me. I dont know if its just the angle but my mind cant put it in place. I know it goes on the front for the foot.

Blarg