windows 7 on z170 boards

Go to solution Solved by typographie,

im looking to upgrade to skylake but i want to keep using windows 7 since i have a cd for it. but my concern is i have read that you can't boot windows 7 from usb, i have a external usb dvd drive would i be able to use that or would i have to connect an optical drive to the board.

Check the manual for the specific Z170 board you plan to buy—most manufacturers make them freely available on their product pages. My Asus Z170-A's manual stated that 100-series boards do not allow Windows 7 installation without pre-loading USB 3.0 drivers, and it includes instructions for doing so.

For my part, I installed Windows 7 by booting from the DVD in legacy mode. I did not have to mess around with the USB driver. I think UEFI mode is what has trouble with it.

im looking to upgrade to skylake but i want to keep using windows 7 since i have a cd for it. but my concern is i have read that you can't boot windows 7 from usb, i have a external usb dvd drive would i be able to use that or would i have to connect an optical drive to the board.

What I would do to make sure it works is try it before buying the board and CPU. With your current system, boot from the W7 disc using your external USB DVD drive. It should work though.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Im pretty sure you can run the windows 7 installer from an USB drive.

Linux even made video of how to do it back in the day (at NCIX Tech Tips):

I personally use RUFUS for installing from an USB drive.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

USB DVD drive will work fine.

Also USB drive should work. Set the BIOS on UEFI/legacy mode. Now it can boot the USB.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Check the manual for the specific Z170 board you plan to buy—most manufacturers make them freely available on their product pages. My Asus Z170-A's manual stated that 100-series boards do not allow Windows 7 installation without pre-loading USB 3.0 drivers, and it includes instructions for doing so.

For my part, I installed Windows 7 by booting from the DVD in legacy mode. I did not have to mess around with the USB driver. I think UEFI mode is what has trouble with it.

i installed win7 from USB stick all the time. Just extracted the ISO and selected the USB stick as first boot device in my Bios. Should work for DVD Drives too!

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

i installed win7 from USB stick all the time. Just extracted the ISO and selected the USB stick as first boot device in my Bios. Should work for DVD Drives too!

You don't have to extract and make the device bootable in the Command Prompt and then boot it.

There is a simple and lightweight tool for making your USB bootable with ISO file. It's called Rufus.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

You don't have to extract and make the device bootable in the Command Prompt and then boot it.

There is a simple and lightweight tool for making your USB bootable with ISO file. It's called Rufus.

cool cool, but its on the stick for years now and worked great over the time. I dont see a reason to change anything. But thanks for the tip. Maybe the stick will die in some years, and ill remember ;D

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |