The Corsair CX-series

Based on this, the only thing I need to worry about is losing some data that I didn't save if it shuts itself down?

Not worried  :)

And your GPU dying and your hard drives dying and your motherboard catching fire and the fact that hundreds or even thousands of your life's earnings have gone down the drain because you paired it with a 290X...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

And your GPU dying and your hard drives dying and your motherboard catching fire and the fact that hundreds or even thousands of your life's earnings have gone down the drain because you paired it with a 290X...

ive seen a cx500m die while the pc was running. nothing broke it just shut off and wouldnt turn back on. People exaggerate how bad cx is, if they truly caught fire and made pcs explode blah blah they wouldnt be allowed to be sold. Of course sometimes people get a bad unit, and with cx sure the bad to good unit ratio leans more to bad, however im willing to bet less than 5 percent of cx psus that have died or will die will go up in hell fire on there way out, most just shut off for good, like the one i saw go.

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

they wouldnt be allowed to be sold.

^This is not true 

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

ive seen a cx500m die while the pc was running. nothing broke it just shut off and wouldnt turn back on. People exaggerate how bad cx is, if they truly caught fire and made pcs explode blah blah they wouldnt be allowed to be sold. Of course sometimes people get a bad unit, and with cx sure the bad to good unit ratio leans more to bad, however im willing to bet less than 5 percent of cx psus that have died or will die will go up in hell fire on there way out, most just shut off for good, like the one i saw go.

The fact that the CX500M was likely less than 3 years old when it died kind of proves my point. With a warranty of 2 years CWT doesn't want to put their money into the thing lasting more than that. Also, plenty of PSUs are sold that can catch fire without trouble, not just the CX-series. However, Corsair doesn't automagically get a pass because of their sticker on the side.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have to add something as well, thanks to @don_svetlio

I was originally rocking a CX600M and my current overclock on my gpu wasn't nearly as stable. It would run okay without crashes in tests like Furmark or Kombustor and even survive a session of Witcher. But it would constantly and I mean 10 minutes into every game of WoW crash. So I replaced my PSU since it was time to get rid of the 50 buck CX anyway (pretty sketchy for the price). I currently got a Superflower Leadex and I've been playing an hour of WoW now and I've had no crashes at all.

So imo and experience, yeah a CX does make a difference in my overclock. Your mileage may vary.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

meanwhile im running an overclocked 780 and an i5 here with the 500M

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

My dad's rig is running a cx430m psu. He's using a stock 4770k (h87m board) with iGPU and all he really does is use excel and listen to music. 

Should I be concerned with the PSU? It's also in my basement which usually has an ambient temp around 21 °C. It's been 5 months and hasn't really had any problems yet...

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

My dad's rig is running a cx430m psu. He's using a stock 4770k (h87m board) with iGPU and all he really does is use excel and listen to music. 

Should I be concerned with the PSU? It's also in my basement which usually has an ambient temp around 21 °C. It's been 5 months and hasn't really had any problems yet...

How did your dad wind up with a 4770K build to begin with

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

How did your dad wind up with a 4770K build to begin with

hehe long story... i had it from my rig at the time. I switched to an 4790k (thru the retail edge program so basically costing me nothing) and gave my dad the 4770k. I know it's super overkill for him but had I gone out and bought like a 4460 it wouldve came out to the same price.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

well its used as a normal office pc as it seems so you will be fine, after all the cx are meant for office pcs so it should be fine unless the temp in the case gets over around 35C  

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

hehe long story... i had it from my rig at the time. I switched to an 4790k (thru the retail edge program so basically costing me nothing) and gave my dad the 4770k. I know it's super overkill for him but had I gone out and bought like a 4460 it wouldve came out to the same price.

ok

yeah that psu'll be fine with it, it's not overclocked or with anything else

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

ok

yeah that psu'll be fine with it, it's not overclocked or with anything else

well its used as a normal office pc as it seems so you will be fine, after all the cx are meant for office pcs so it should be fine unless the temp in the case gets over around 35C  

Sweet guys. I've been seeing a lot of negative stuff about the cx-series and i've always been curious to know if there's a stick of dynamite sitting in my basement.

Sweet guys. I've been seeing a lot of negative stuff about the cx-series and i've always been curious to know if there's a stick of dynamite sitting in my basement.

they are fine as long as they are used for office pcs and dont get too hot

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Your dad's system will be fine, I wouldn't worry about it. 

You should be fine.

Meanwhile I'm here who's been F@H for 6 days now with a CX600.

6 whole days! Oh wow, alright guys we're gonna need to take back every negative review about CX PSUs, this guy's been F@H for SIX DAYS!

/s

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Wow, just found this thread, I didn't realise the CX series were so bad. I buit up a PC fro my nephew earlier this year and used a CX430M. It's got an i3 4130 and an R7 260X in it, do you think I should swap it out for something better? If so, any recommendations around the £50 mark? Can be non modular.

Wow, just found this thread, I didn't realise the CX series were so bad. I buit up a PC fro my nephew earlier this year and used a CX430M. It's got an i3 4130 and an R7 260X in it, do you think I should swap it out for something better? If so, any recommendations around the £50 mark? Can be non modular.

I'd say a XFX TS 550W is a good option - it will allow for upgrades into anything, even a 390X. with ease.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I'd say a XFX TS 550W is a good option - it will allow for upgrades into anything, even a 390X. with ease.

I thought you were called Mr Seasonic for a reason? ;)

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

^This is not true 

Then why are these fire hazards sold normally.

Drop it!

1565_PSU500BUILDERBLACK_1_BigProductImag-font-b-300W-b-font-Power-Supply-6R89K-0

dooo dooo

hqdefault.jpg dododonununudooowooo mm yeah

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD