What modem for a fixed wireless LOS connection?

unitus77

Hello i live in a bush in Canada, the only internet i can get is a fixed LOS connection. 

Not surprising it blows.  I want to get a different modem to see if it helps but unsure what to get.

I know it uses some kind of radio. Any advice?

Hello i live in a bush in Canada,

---gone---

:lol: that is like the whole place  :lol:

If you get your service from an ISP, you will need to check with them to know even if you can change to a different modem.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

:lol: that is like the whole place  :lol:

If you get your service from an ISP, you will need to check with them to know even if you can change to a different modem.

Yah tell me aboot it, i thought i saw someone else yesterday but it was just a moose.

Ya i have an ISP why is that some complex compatibility issues?

Yah tell me aboot it, i thought i saw someone else yesterday but it was just a moose.

Ya i have an ISP why is that some complex compatibility issues?

Not really complex compatibility issues, just that ISPs like to have specific modem brands and models listed as allowed as they are configured by the main vendor like say Motorola or Arris for the ISP and most of them don't allow the customer to just use what ever but that is just for the modem/router, they do allow you to add a router/s as you desire in addition to the supplied modem. 

So it is wise to check with them first before you purchase. Also, if you have the newer modems that are routers you can, in most cases, visit your modem's online page to configure it for like QoS and such.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

There are a bunch of different protocols that can be used for a LOS wireless link, so you have to check with your ISP as to what kind they are using on the link to your location. At the very least, whatever you buy has to be compatible with what they are using. If they are using a proprietary protocol, you may have to buy the same brand of hardware they are using, but you should be able to find a better performing option. It may just come down to the antenna/dish that you are using, a larger dish or higher gain rated antenna will improve your signal strength and may improve speed and reliability IF signal strength was your issue.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

There are a bunch of different protocols that can be used for a LOS wireless link, so you have to check with your ISP as to what kind they are using on the link to your location. At the very least, whatever you buy has to be compatible with what they are using. If they are using a proprietary protocol, you may have to buy the same brand of hardware they are using, but you should be able to find a better performing option. It may just come down to the antenna/dish that you are using, a larger dish or higher gain rated antenna will improve your signal strength and may improve speed and reliability IF signal strength was your issue.

Thanks bud very helpful. Ill give my ISP a call. I know its uses PPPOE to connect.

Yah i'm not expecting it to turn into fiber,but it has to be better than the pos dinky toy they gave me.

Yah the antenna i have isn't exactly top of the line. Been thinking about putting some tin foil or something on it to see if it helps but picturing myself with a ladder on my roof wrappin it like a cookie think i would scare off my only neighbor.

Definitely get more details, and when you do feel free to come back here for assistance. PPPoE is the second step in connecting, it's how they track which customer is which and keep people who aren't paying them off the network. The first step, the wireless connection, has to be using some other protocol.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: