Research lab accidentally creates longer lasting Li-Ion battery

Tommo

Source: http://hexus.net/ce/news/general/85625-research-lab-goof-results-4x-li-ion-battery-working-life/

Scientists at Tsinghua University, Beijing, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston have been working on techniques to extend the working life of Li-ion batteries. The scientists were working methodically on making the anodes of the batteries more durable, as the decay of the anode material is a major cause of the drop off in Li-ion battery life after a few hundred charge cycles. In the course of their carefully timed experimental process one batch of anodes were left under chemical treatment for several hours more than they should have been, by accident. Instead of throwing away the forgotten batch, the scientists decided to test them and the results were great – an anode 4x more durable than the current best available technology.

Hopefully we can get some really good batteries now rather than ones that can barely hold a charge after only a few months.

I love accidents! They're so good sometimes.

Except children, those aren't good accidents.

I know man. Imagine the chick you screwed last night drunk coming to your house after some time and suddenly you're a fucking dad. Damn condom accidents... Hate them :P /s

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Are you serious?

Just cook them longer?

That's not the first thing they tried? 

WTF scientists? Do you even bake?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I know man. Imagine the chick you screwed last night drunk coming to your house after some time and suddenly you're a fucking dad. Damn condom accidents... Hate them :P /s

5:40 in the morning and I read that as "and suddenly you're fucking a dad" o________________O'

Are you serious?

Just cook them longer?

Why not cook them at twice the temperature for half the time?! That works, right? :P

Instructions unclear. Built better battery. It was supposed to be a desk from IKEA

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'

Isaac Asimov

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

what if your children becomes a billionaire and CEO of intel

This is why us clumsy people will one day save the world.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

quote-the-most-exciting-phrase-to-hear-i

EDIT: I see I was beaten by @smjpl

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Source: http://hexus.net/ce/news/general/85625-research-lab-goof-results-4x-li-ion-battery-working-life/

Hopefully we can get some really good batteries now rather than ones that can barely hold a charge after only a few months.

I'd guess that this was already known by manufacturers, and that marketed batteries have been designed to last a limited duration, as an example of forced obsolescence. I think this probably isn't news to battery manufacturers.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Are you serious?

Just cook them longer?

Ok this is a miss conception. Lithium-ion/poly batteries varies greatly between manufactures. You can see it like IPS panels. They separate in a large number of sub groups of models where they all have their ups and downs. It just doesn't have any marketing related to them, so they are nothing more then models being used to identify them and specs sheets.

That is why you have Lithium-ion/poly batteries, despite the same capacity, same specs system (say laptop), one will last longer than another. This is also why, some degrade rapidly within 1 year and half to 2 years, while others can remain 80% of it's charge capacity after 4 years. This is also why some are sensitive to heat, and others aren't really affected by it. All these inconsistency has to do with the different models of Lithium-ion/poly batteries.

I am most certain that if any other manufacture tries this, it won't end well. It is something that has been discovered with that specific lithium-ion battery.

Edited by GoodBytes
Spell check

I'd guess that this was already known by manufacturers, and that marketed batteries have been designed to last a limited duration, as an example of forced obsolescence. I think this probably isn't news to battery manufacturers.

No. Battery competition is super high. Assuming they did what you are saying, you'll have the small guy that tries to grow, will make it happen, and now has the monopoly on batteries.

Ok this is a miss conception. Lithium-ion/poly batteries varies greatly between manufactures. You can see it like IPS panels. They separate in a large number of sub groups of models where they all have their ups and downs. It just doesn't have any marketing related to them, so they are nothing more then models being used to identify them and specs sheets.

That is why you have Lithium-ion/poly batteries, despite the same capacity, same specs system (say laptop), one will last longer than another. This is also why, some degrade rapidly within 1 year and half to 2 years, while others can remain 80% of it's charge capacity after 4 years. This is also why some are sensitive to heat, and others aren't really affected by it. All these inconsistency has to do with the different models of Lithium-ion/poly batteries.

I am most certain that if any other manufacture tries this, it won't end well. It is something that has been discovered with that specific lithium-ion battery.

Huh. Cool.

You'd think in an industry as potentially toxic to the environment as batteries, there'd be some standardization & regulation. Guess not.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

You'd think in an industry as potentially toxic to the environment as batteries, there'd be some standardization & regulation. Guess not.

They are some regulations in how to package and store the battery, and regulations related to avoid the battery to explode, including on its charging circuit. But, to my knowledge, not on production (beside safety), or minimum specs.

But before that happens, they get swallowed or subdued by the big fish. And then they put the new tech behind a paywall to monetize the F out of it.

1- If you have such technology, like the magic cure for cancer, you can make more money as a company, then accepting being bought by a large company.

2- Not all companies are public, and therefore can't be bought the next day.

3- Usually companies have the Poison Pill clause (yes that is the name) in the company share acquiring agreement. The Poison Pill clause, usually states something like if you buy more than a certain percentage of shares of the company, the cost of owning a share is increases for every share substantially high, making it impossible to even a large company to acquire them on the back, without agreement of the president/CEO/current shareholders (depending on how the company is structured).

Still remember during engineering class, the teacher took out 2 transparent plastic panels, and tightened with a clamp. He then swing a hammer at it, one of them broke immediately and the other no matter how hard he swings, the things just doesn't break.  The one that didn't break was also discovered by accident.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

quote-the-most-exciting-phrase-to-hear-i

EDIT: I see I was beaten by @smjpl

Great minds think alike!

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I find it amusing that some of the most world-changing scientific breakthroughs were accidents. Makes me wonder if scientists should think more laterally and/or be more absent-minded at work. Who knows, some physicist might just accidentally create the Theory of Everything tomorrow.

Also the work of some divine power behind these "accidents".

now i see why linus got taran and dennis into LMG, he is hoping for good accidents to happen :D

Aha. But when will we see something entirely new already. A type of battery that will last for days on constant usage and charge quickly.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |